+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Stats for Protection Leveling

Which Stats for Protection Leveling

So I am now level 74 and have been taking a lot of time itemizing. I have alot of different gear in my bag and damn its taking up alot of space now lol. I have been basically giving priority to block value this whole time and now I am starting to feel like I'm doing it completely wrong because my attack power and crit drops ALOT. So I there any stat I should be focusing on or is it just all balancing out and going from there? Sorry if this is a repeat post, but I have been going thru and some same stack block and some say strength.

Thanks!

I'd say Strength is going to win out.

1 STR = 2 AP
    2 STR = 1 SBV

I also had alot of gear w/ SBV coming into Wraith, and with re-itemization we are seeing STR become a main stat on all the new gear we are finding and even pre-Wraith gear. I know SBV contributes alot to mitigating the amount of damage taken, so for things like AOE grinding it can be especially benifical. But personally I think in the end going for STR is a better choice. More STR = more AP which is more DPS.

A couple of days ago, I spent some time really thinking about this, and as dirt mentioned, Strength and AP are the stats to maximize as you level. Prioritizing those two stats alone will increase your damage throughout all of your abilities and through your normal white hits. Even for AOE grinding, I still use a mainly STR/AP set because of the boosts in damage through Shockwave and Thunderclap, which translates to killing the group quickly.
    Stay strong. Stay smart. All heart.

Seems like you are looking for primarily aggro and dps concerns here. Don't forget about hit/expertise because without them you'll find your attacks do not land enough to where the AP or BV will matter as much. Shockwave and Tclap can still miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

For solo questing, easier elites, etc I'd really recommend attack power gear, if your AP is in the form of pure strength all the better. I have no downtime except the very occasional desire to bandage and mow down anything I want to.

Unless you are gathering very large packs of mobs and burning them down, a blocking set is probably slower. You may also simply kill them faster with an AP set taking them in smaller groups. It's hard to say and depends a lot on what you have.

I am working out a very high SBR/SBV set for heavy work, I like the idea of it.

I just ask my pretty similar question here, so I do not have to start a new thread for it.
    How important, good is it for me as a PROT lvling Warrior (current lvl 74) to put on Haste trinkets / items with haste on it?
    Is Haste a good stat for me as a Prot-Warri, or is it merely for ms/furor warris good to use?

thanks in advance,
    greets
    Karnak

EDIT:
    Maybe I should add, I am pretty much solo questing, from time to time an instance but mainly quests

haste isn't that great for a prot warrior, unless you are in an infinite rage situation where you want to throw out heroic strikes faster, haste isn't that great for a prot warrior, ap trinkets are better.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I'm using Bloodlust Brooch - Item - World of Warcraft and Berserker's Call - Item - World of Warcraft. They can't be activated at the same time, which is fine.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

As far as tank DPS twinkets go...

Shard of contempt is still one of the best ones out there, even at 80.
    There is also a green twinket that procs like nearly 300 expertise...

I'm an expertise whore...
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

+ Reply to Thread