+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where is my Defense??

Where is my Defense??

At level 70, I had 496 defense
    At level 71, I had 492 defense
    At level 72, I had 484 defense
    and, at level 73 I have 478 defense.

I know this is surely a noob question but, where is my defense? Shouldn't it go up as I level?? If I'm supposed to have a 540 defense at 80, how am I supposed to achieve that when my base defense seems to be dwindling??? My base defense says it's going up but looking at my character stats, I'm going down and I don't understand why. I'm sure it's a stupidly simple explanation but none of the other tanks in my guild can understand this either.
    Last edited by TerrorForm; 11-19-2008 at 03:30 AM.

As you level, the conversion ratio (rating -> defense skill) goes down hard. Basically, at 80 you need 700-ish rating for the 140 extra defense you need, where at 70 it was only what, 350-ish?

you will need to socket, gem and chant your level 70 tank gear with defence till you replace it. I got the cap with 1 day of heroics and a new set of gems for my old sunwell stuff.

What's happening is that at level 70, you use the following rating system:

2.365 Defense Rating = 1 Defense Skill

...at level 80 (in order to make us upgrade our gear) that ratio is much more aggressive at:

4.918 Defense Rating = 1 Defense Skill

The result is that it's somewhere in the neighbourhood of 689 Defense Rating required to hit 540 Defense. This is not going to be trivial like hitting 490 Defense was at level 70. We don't have Anticipation giving us 20 Defense Skill. That being said, there's a lot of high defense rating blues out there that'll make that 540 Defense number not impossible to reach.

As to leveling, don't sweat it. It's not the end of the world to not be going up each level. You shouldn't expect to be at 540 Defense exactly when you reach 80, but you should make it your first goal, as a tank, to hit 540 Defense as soon as possible.

Sucks

With every gem in my gear being 16 defense, I'm still not capped.

642 rating, this is as close as I can get. Gonna get titanweave on my cloak when I get a new one. A couple other changes I need to make as well like the meta gem, just haven't had time.

The World of Warcraft Armory

It doesn't help that this is all grinding gear. I didn't change upon much defensive gear I wanted to keep.

Until you hit 80 and are looking to raid and run ehroics, you don't need to worry about being crit immune.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelgius View Post
    Sucks

With every gem in my gear being 16 defense, I'm still not capped.

642 rating, this is as close as I can get. Gonna get titanweave on my cloak when I get a new one. A couple other changes I need to make as well like the meta gem, just haven't had time.

The World of Warcraft Armory

It doesn't help that this is all grinding gear. I didn't change upon much defensive gear I wanted to keep.
    If you want to get a bit closer, run Halls of Lightning:
    Seal of the Pantheon - Item - World of Warcraft

And there is a defense enchant for cloaks as well you could put on (and maybe one for bracers)

Easy-ish stuff to get with many defenses:

Silver-Plated Battlechest - Item - World of Warcraft - Utgarde Pinnacle quest reward
    Tempered Saronite Helm - Item - World of Warcraft - your friendly blacksmith

+ Reply to Thread