+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot warriors, can you rate this weap?

Prot warriors, can you rate this weap?

Hey guys, I'll be able to do this quest soon and i need some adive on the right weap for a prot warrior. Could you help me out here figuring out the pros and cons of each? because to my understanding, all of them are good tank weaps on specific situations but as quest goes i have to choose ONE !

Thanks as always for the input

-V- The World of Warcraft Armory

Hammer of Quiet Mourning - Item - World of Warcraft

Sword of Heartwrenching Slaughter - Item - World of Warcraft

Crescent of Brooding Fury - Item - World of Warcraft

Take the sword. Until you're 80, your defense rating isn't really going to matter all that much from an uncritable standpoint. The axe is more of a DW Death Knight option rather than a prot warrior.

there is no reason not to take the mace

Quote Originally Posted by Rude View Post
    Take the sword.
    I guess the rationale for that would be the parry rating, which would up your dps by a smidge?

Honestly, when I'm in your situation, especially knowing you're going to be replacing whatever choice you make eventually, I just go with whichever one looks better. I don't know what that says about me as a player, but whatever it is, I'm ok with it.

They all seem close enough in quality to be sort of a 6/.5 dozen thing. One thing you might want to consider is your weapon skill levels. It's proly a safe assumption that you haven't been rotating your weapons enough to have them all maxed. On one hand, you might want to go with whichever one is already leveled. On the other hand, you might want to take whichever one isN'T, to get it up to par.
    Tankity spankity.

There's another thread about this, and the consensus in there seems to be the mace over the sword.

I took the axe because I'm an orc.

It really doesn't matter. I took the mace because I liked the look of it and have already replaced it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Theomach View Post
    There's another thread about this, and the consensus in there seems to be the mace over the sword.
    I agree. Your first and highest priority is to get 540+ defense so you're ready for raids, or 535 for heroics. Thus you need stuff with defense first.
    Slow weapons are only good for prot DPS or rage starved situations, like soloing or offtanking without incoming damage - whenever you can use HS or cleave often, fast weapons win. This will be like that forever I guess

If you have the required defense, take whichever you like, I'll take the wyrmrest honored sword tbh

Quote Originally Posted by UsalCrab View Post
    I took the axe because I'm an orc.
    You shouldn't. Slow just isn't as good as fast.

The Mace is the clear winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude View Post
    Take the sword. Until you're 80, your defense rating isn't really going to matter all that much from an uncritable standpoint. The axe is more of a DW Death Knight option rather than a prot warrior.
    Defense Rating offers more Avoidance than Parry Rating. It's definitely not a stat to ignore just b/c you don't care about being crittable or not. (which honestly... you still should even if you don't go out of your way to do it until 80)

I am an orc.. I may take the axe. I honestly don't think threat will be an issue and will continue to go for higher dps. I am considering the axe with a prot spec including deep wounds. If in the end I get smoked in level 80 content of course will spec back to a more traditional build.

Quote Originally Posted by hbombs View Post
    I am an orc.. I may take the axe. I honestly don't think threat will be an issue and will continue to go for higher dps. I am considering the axe with a prot spec including deep wounds. If in the end I get smoked in level 80 content of course will spec back to a more traditional build.
    As the mace is likely to be the tanking weapon you'll use at 80, I think it's a pretty big waste to take the axe b/c it's better for leveling. Also, while Deep Wounds may tweak things a little... I highly doubt that the occasional Devastate is going to make up for the far superior damage of Fast Weapon Heroic Strike spam.

I took the mace and I don't regret it for a second. I'm glad I used a quest reward mace to level my skill up before the quest so I could use it right away.

But man, is that thing huge. I could hit one out of Wrigley Field with that mace.

Hbombs....you're on my server!

The mace has .2 more dps than the axe, just because the axe is slower and has higher top-end doesn't mean it's better dps than the mace. I think maybe you *might* use it for solo grinding, but then again you might actually be better off with an actual DPS axe, like with AP and crit on it or something like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Dreador! sup??

I am considering the slow axe for tanking. It gives me expertise(orc) higher top end for deep wound ticks (on vulnerable mobs via trauma? or the feral talent)

I think its already been proven though that fast weapon with more heroic strike spam is better.. but I think I will try this out anyway.. even if its just for fun. I really really really doubt it will slow up our progression at all.

(btw dreador.. dranlo put me onto this idea.. armory him!)

I think the amount of threat from the bleed effects would be much more effective if you were tanking with a 2hander...lol. Dranlo's probably testing with that spec, although I've never spoken with him personally as I play on alliance side. As far as raiding is concerned yes, you do probably get some additional threat from the bleeds but I doubt it's any better than HS spam. As far as devastate, it's moreso being used to proc sword & board at this point. Granted, you do get a lot of crit now from protection talents. I honestly think the 3 points in deep wounds would be better spent elsewhere; if you look at my spec (only 77 atm) I have 12 points in arms for deflection, HS, imp charge and impale. At 80 there will be 8 points in fury for Armed to the Teeth and cruelty (cruelty is debatable with raid buffs) and 51 points in Prot.

I am an expertise whore. If you look at the trinkets I usually use you will see that, pre lvl 71 I had 44 expertise skill (11.5%) in my raid set. Being an elf, I don't get any special bonuses from items either. Either way, the axe has 14 rating, which is not even 1% @current level, really debatable. Brutalizer might still do you better as far as expertise is concerned (albeit losing 11 dps going from one to the other and gaining a faster weapon as opposed to slower). The real bottom line as far as TPS is concerned is faster is always better. Bleeds are cool, I think we should save them for level 90

But hey, give it a shot and see how it pans out for you, could be onto something big if it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread