+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attack Speed & Parry

Attack Speed & Parry

I've paged over a few of the other parry threads, but I haven't seen much in terms of parry pertaining to what a boss does to you. I was trying to figure out a ballpark of how much more damage one would take as a DK that was DWing and tanking, compared to tanking with a 2hr. Primarily to prove a point to a friend, but I ran into some issues on how exactly the parry mechanic works.

So, say a boss attacks every 2 seconds. According to WoWWiki "When you parry an attack, the remaining time on your current swing is reduced by 40% of your weapon speed, unless this would result in a reduction to less than 20% of your swing time remaining"

This would mean that the boss's swing would be reduced by 1.2 seconds each time it parried, unless it was .4 seconds away from the next swing, correct? Or am I misinterpreting this wrong? Or is WoWWiki misinformed? Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere, I looked but did not find anything.

I could be mistaken but I was under the impression that the parry mechanics no longer increase your attack speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    I could be mistaken but I was under the impression that the parry mechanics no longer increase your attack speed.
    Eh? Since when? Forgive my lazyness, I'm still at work and can't spend too much time actively solving this problem.

I'm not sure when exactly, would have been mid BC when I heard it. Honestly I never saw a thread proving it or any post or anything. My old room mate just walked into my room one day and said he just read it somewhere. I didn't see a reason for him to lie so I believed him. I could be totally wrong on this.

I'm not sure when exactly, would have been mid BC when I heard it. Honestly I never saw a thread proving it or any post or anything. My old room mate just walked into my room one day and said he just read it somewhere. I didn't see a reason for him to lie so I believed him. I could be totally wrong on this.
    Parry haste was only removed for a few bosses (Mother & Brut that I know of, but there are a few more).

In concept, from a pure parry rating standpoint, a 2hander would result in less boss parry haste than dual wielding would.

Now, in return, your parrying of bosses attacks would result in more damage output with 2 hander, as it would give a bigger speed increase.

In application though, this may not hold to be true.

Expertise is the equalizer here, which is why it is in game, and as a tank, ideally you'd like to be soft capped pushing dodges off the table, and if you are a DWing DK tank, I would recommend stacking it.

As far as if it's still in the game or not, I'm pretty sure it, however since 3.0.3, no one has confirmed or deny'd this, and yes, some of it is on a per boss basis.
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

My thought on the parrygibbing is this: There should be a soft 'cap' at when you hit often enough that hitting anymore won't cause any additional parries. The question is where is it in relation to the main GCD and our activated abilities. Also, exactly how much more damage do you take? I'm doubtful DW tanking will ever be a good idea at this point, but knowing exactly how bad would be interesting. I mean, I'd guess the soft cap would be faster than a MT with a 1.5 speed weapon attacking constantly, because we've all heard the stories about a rogue who stood in front of the tank and got him killed, but that could have also been due to crush/parry combinations, which won't happen anymore. I dunno. I'm debating the merits of learning a programming language to model this. >_>; Text is too heavy a workload.

Quote Originally Posted by Glomgore View Post
    Now, in return, your parrying of bosses attacks would result in more damage output with 2 hander, as it would give a bigger speed increase.
    It would be the same percentage increase no matter what speed the weapon was. The same goes for haste; it affects fast and slow weapons equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbusier View Post
    Parry haste was only removed for a few bosses (Mother & Brut that I know of, but there are a few more).
    Ahh, I was misinformed. Parry > Dodge then IMO :P. I'm such a terrible noob.

Ahh, I was misinformed. Parry > Dodge then IMO :P. I'm such a terrible noob.
    Bosses parrying YOUR attacks has nothing to do with YOUR parry %.

+ Reply to Thread