+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healing question

Healing question

So I have a 60 balance druid, but because of the recent explosion in DKs, I have taken up balance healing for ramps and stuff.
    My question to you is, is it just me or do tanks not wait for healers? I kept saying "Mana" and the tank would run off and pull.
    So next pull i'd say "ok now wait for me to get mana"
    Off he goes again

Is it a DK thing or do all tanks do that?

A bad tank does that.

Here goes my tip. Let him die.

Good tanks will watch your mana and judge how much you seem to use per pull, and go from there, thats what I do. Also as a speed pulling warrior. I will sometimes wait to see that they are drinking, judge how long it will take to fill up, and pull when I think you'll be able to finish drinking before I need a heal. Sometimes this requires me to pop shieldwall/last stand, and use shield block for damage mitigation rather than just as a damage buff.
    A side effect from this is I'm alot more carefull when my "Oh shit!" buttons are unavailable.

All in all, I have a healer I run with who tells me when he starts drinking he wont get up untill hes full even if it means I pull and get everyone killed in the process. It happened once or twice in the beginning but realizing he meant business I quickly learned to plan around my healer for pulls.

So hold your ground. maybe not be a strict with pugs, but in general, they need to wait for you or expect to get themselves killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    A bad tank does that.

Agreed. I do a quick look at my healer's mana pool before a pull. If it looks decent, I pull. If he's sitting on 200 mana, I tell him to let me know when he's ready. Generally, when I see the ProM hit me, I charge in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyriall View Post
    Agreed. I do a quick look at my healer's mana pool before a pull. If it looks decent, I pull. If he's sitting on 200 mana, I tell him to let me know when he's ready. Generally, when I see the ProM hit me, I charge in.
    Yeah, ProM, pre-hoting, bubble. Anything that the healer puts on me before a pull makes me assume they are ready.

Stupid question...
    What is a ProM?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectchaos View Post
    Good tanks will watch your mana and judge how much you seem to use per pull, and go from there, thats what I do.
    Quite right - no point waiting for mana if it's not needed. On the other hand if the healer will need the mana then you should wait. Also if they are sat down drinking it's polite to let them finish

What is a ProM?
    Prayer of Mending - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.

I'll be frank. In BC content, everything has been rescaled - the mobs hit 30% less hard than they used to and have 30% fewer hitpoints. In addition, mana regeneration has changed for the better and other classes have mana regeneration abilities that can help you (Survival Hunters, Ret Pallys, all flavors of Priests, etc.).

What does this mean for you as a (druid) healer? Expect to be chain pulling and moving fast. Don't expect a group to wait for you to get to 75% to 100% full on mana before a pull. Don't save Ennervate for emergencies and always use it whenever it's available and when it makes sense (don't use it on 75% or full mana, time its use for bossfights if you need to, and so on). Don't expect to get a full drink. In summary, learn to heal and gain mana on the go.

Your initial post was vague, but it sounds to me like the tank pulled and you still made it through the fights. Which says to me he might have had a better grasp of your mana needs than you did. If this wasn't the case and it was wipe after wipe because you had no mana, then it's the tank's fault.

There are geniunely some tanks out there who don't pay attention to the other people in their party, and so they ignore things like their healer being low on mana or one of their dps being beaten on by an unexpected mob adding itself to the fray.

There are also tanks who are used to being able to chain pull and a healer to just keep up, no questions asked; either due to running with higher leveled better geared healers or just a lucky healer who manages to get the heal off at the last moment.

But you have the upper hand. Healers are becoming something of a rarer commodity; and a lot of the time groups are now lacking healers more than other classes. If you don't like a group, just leave, there are plenty of others who'll take you along. I get to abuse this on my paladin, since so many of them decided to go ret while I have remained holy

Yeah, with DK tanks...

First of all in response to Furi's comment:

All raid dungeons from Karazhan to Sunwell Plateau as well as the outdoor encounters of Doom Lord Kazzak and Doomwalker have been adjusted and now all creatures and bosses have less health points and do less damage.
    From the 3.0.2 patch notes. No mention of anything but raid content and I never noticed anything but raid content being any different either. So for the content that people are going to be running with DKs I'd say your statement is misleading at best. Might want to revise it.

Anyway with the influx of DK tanks your going to have that happen. People who have never tanked before are going to be tanking. Mind you I'm not trying to disparage on DK tanks as I'm sure a goodly number of them are going to have tanked before. However even then that will not be any guarantee that they won't always practice good tanking etiquette.

As a tank the only mana bar I ever really paid attention to while doing 5 mans was the healers mana bar. And as a rule if they were better than half then we were not stopping. There are a number of exceptions and one of them being when the healer would ask for break.

That being said it is rarely a requirement for any healer to be at full mana for trash. Or for that matter for a healer to have their full 'healing power' set on for instance runs. Rather using a set that maximizes regen can work best unless people are dying. If the latter ends up being true then the group really does need to slow down as you've run into a gear/level/whatever wall and the tank should respect that.

I'd say be polite but firm with the upcoming DK tanks. (And all tanks really as a healer.) Make sure they know that the DPS can do whatever they want but it's you who are keeping them alive. If that means they have to die while you step out of range of getting in combat a few times then so be it.

I can't find a strikethrough command for the text in my previous message so I'll just post here. The raid content recieved the nerf to damage and health. To clarify, the instance content also received a nerf - in respect that the instance difficulty was not increased to match the improvements each player class recieved - players were buffed and the BC content stayed the same.

Don't be suprised if chain pulling in BC content is going to become the norm. Being capable of healing under these conditions is one aspect of being a healer. You need to recongnize the difference between having a bad tnak and needing to step up your game.

In general (these percentages are in reference to BC content and clearing trash), pulling at 100% is fine if your tank is letting you learn how to be a healer.
    Pulling at 60% to 90% is common.
    Pulling at 30% to 60% can be a challenge, but it's doable.
    Pulling at 30% is reckless, but most of your party should come out of it alive.
    Pulling at 0% to 30% will probably result in a wipe, or 3+ members dying.
    Your mileage may vary depending on your skill and what cooldowns are available.

Regardless of the nerf, if you are tanking and not watching your healers mana, you are not just doing it at your own risk, you are doing it at the risk of the group. Being a good tank is not just being able to hold aggro and survive, it is a controlling factor over the flow. If you are running in a pug and the group does not know each other then this can be a bad thing. If you know the people and how they play fine. In either case if the healer asks to wait a minute, then you sit on your ass and wait, end of story. Maybe take a few extra seconds between pulls for a little more regen instead of chain pulling then having to wait for full mana refill.

And I would probably agree with the numbers above, I will usually keep going on half mana but I usually always know my healers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    A bad tank does that.

This made me lol, but I heartily agree - it's one of those learning experiances people new to a class go through.

I used to (haven't had to in a while) have a little exercise in lower level instances: If a DPS pulled aggro from my tank I'd tell them "that was number 1. You have one more opportunity to learn your range and after that if you pull it, you deal with it". It's amazing how fast people learn when they're thrown in the deep end.

I am a 80 Holy Priest and I enjoy running my dungeons fast. I tell my tanks never to stop for my mana unless I ask specifically. Whenever you drop aggro you should be drinking, even if it is only for 5-6 seconds. (Bring Mage Water) Even if you don't have mage water I drink my own all the time. It really doesn't cost that much.

However, tanks, for god sake if you don't know your healer that well and are unsure on how they do on mana... Watch there mana! A lot of players are really bad at being vocal and what not.

+ Reply to Thread