+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Professions For Tanking?

Quote Originally Posted by Karilyn View Post
    I'm a Jewelcrafter/Enchanter, mostly out of the ease of being able to take care of my own gear.
    I second this.

k well i feel its a waste of my time to drop mining and lvl up jc when i have another mac jcer just for the 3 extra sta. thanks =D

Quote Originally Posted by Thaak View Post

I'll put some numbers here to explain.

"Normal gear"
    10 sockets;10 +30 stam gems
    300 stam

"JC gear"
    10 sockets;7 +30 stam 3 +51 stam
    363 stam

"BS gear"
    12 sockets;12 +30 stam gems
    360 stam

"JC/BS gear"
    12 sockets;9 +30 stam 3+51 stam
    423 stam

"JC/Mining gear"
    10 sockets;7 +30 stam 3+51 stam
    +60stam toughness
    423 stam

"BS/Mining gear"
    12 sockets;12 +30 stam
    +60 stam toughness
    420 stam
    This could probably be sticky at the top of this forum with the title "Tank Profession Choices". Could potentially save a bunch of repeater threads.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    This could probably be sticky at the top of this forum with the title "Tank Profession Choices". Could potentially save a bunch of repeater threads.
    Yep, it should be.

I was going to level up JCing a few months ago and looked at the numbers and decided that 3 stamina wasn't worth all the gold nor the time...

Might want to include EHP calculations for Engineering there too incase people want to go with the 885 armor to glove enchant.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Madan View Post
    personally now that the new epic gems are out jc/bs adds 3 mpre sta than bs/mining does. because of toughness adds 60 sta. and jc can let u use three gems. which give 51sta. so if the 51 replaces the 30 sta ones that 51x3 = 153 and 30x3 = 90 now add the 60 sta u get from minings toughness 90 + 60 150. so in total jc/bs u get 153 and bs/miner u get 150. Only 3 more sta. so is it even worth it anymore to do jc/bs or should i stay bs/miner?
    thing is miner is just stamina.

jc/bs is stamina, defense rating, dodge rating, expertise rating, hit rating, strenght, ...

sure if only thing you ever gonna stack is stamina then stay with mining and don' t bother, but if you aspire good results in a dps os aswell, want to keep multiple tanking sets and what not that doesn't require mindless stam stacking, then jc/bs wins out.

Quote Originally Posted by AxLxExX View Post
    YOu can add sockets to your gear if you go JC?

If that is true JC/BS
    Sockets on hands and wrists come from BS. I put a socket on wrists, hands and use a belt buckle....and that's where my JC Dragon's Eyes go.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

As two of the above posters have mentioned the JC/Enchanting combo works rather well.

you still gain the extra 60 sta you would have from either mining or blacksmithing without having to ore farm on another toon

also the utility of the disenchant ability can not be discounted and can greaty aid in the funding of your jewelcrafting.

JC and BS would be the most powerfull combo, although it's hard as hell to level considering you have to purchase your mats. But extra socket slots + powerfull gems never fails.

The differences between professions are small. (except for tailoring?, skinning and herbalism ofcourse)
    I love my alchemy, the 2 hour flasks save me a lot of gold and the hp increase about the same as blacksmithing. Besides that it also gives stronger healthpotions: Crazy Alchemist's Potion - Item - World of Warcraft they are wonderfull for tanks.

The thing is: blizzard designed the profession so there wouldn't be a clear cut winner. And I think they succeeded well.

If anyone is asking for powerful tanking professions? I just reply take whatever you like as long as it isn't tailoring? herbalism or skinning. And that should be the real answer.

From my 3 tanks I have three different profession combos.

Warrior1: BS/JC
    Warrior2: Mining/BS
    DK:JC/Chanting

The Warrior 1 or DK get the most benefit from it. The warrior is nice because the bracers/hands socket is great and is definitely nothing to scoff at. The dk is nice because 30stam on rings is sick and having abyss crystals out the wazoo is also a nice income!

Mining is bleh as if I wanted to make money i'd play the AH and make it quicker than mining.

I'd put the most effective combination of JC/BS as it just rocks for tanking. Enchanting is obviously for the de's I think the best profession to have on at least one toon of yours!

Quote Originally Posted by orcstar View Post

The thing is: blizzard designed the profession so there wouldn't be a clear cut winner. And I think they succeeded well.

If anyone is asking for powerful tanking professions? I just reply take whatever you like as long as it isn't tailoring? herbalism or skinning. And that should be the real answer.
    If you play a different role with your off-spec then some specific profession combos may have better perks. But for someone who does nothing but tank, the above comment answers the question.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Well, if you have the patience of a turtle, I say alchemy. I can't name the many times them health potions saved my behind. Moreover, I don't have to spend hundred of gold, nor be forced to gem rare gems on my gear when I can transmutate them myself. I'm constantly gemming myself, either on my dps spec or my tank spec (since my gear atm is so easily replacable, and when they're replaced, I find one stat that I value as important drop). Lastly, in the ah, at least in my server, because pots don't make lots of gold, people don't make them. As a result, the only way for me to get the exilirs (I don't make flasks often unless I'm in a group that's constantly wiping) is by making them myself

Enchanting gives 30 stam per ring.

Don't forget the +102 stam to Wrist from Leatherworking. That beats Blacksmithing.

I'm a warrior tank with engineering, I love the bombs for AoE threat, 885 armour to gloves, 45stam to head, increase health bonus from Healing Injectors, rocket boots on things like icehowl, (Also crit for threat), Parachute cloak (Also gives agi=threat+armour).

Quote Originally Posted by shambhala View Post
    I'm a warrior tank with engineering, I love the bombs for AoE threat, 885 armour to gloves, 45stam to head, increase health bonus from Healing Injectors, rocket boots on things like icehowl, (Also crit for threat), Parachute cloak (Also gives agi=threat+armour).
    Bombs are too much fun for me to think about dropping engineering.

That and I have absolutely no interest in grinding up another profession, after the work I've put in on two alts this fall.

Im a JC/Miner because honestly those two extra slots from Bsmithy would be filled with 2 +30 Stam gems.. and I get +60 Stam from Mining anyways so it doesnt make much of a difference for me. I dont really like the Epic Bsmithy gear because its never really on par with Boss Drops or Tier. Maybe Im crazy you put ur two sense in. Oh yea and Im ultra fuckin lazy to lvl Bsmithy 1-450 atm.. so no ty =P

JS / BS.

I love my Dragon Eyes, (and whenim not using them i sell them for 100g+ daily) and with BS the extra 2 sockets mean an extra 2 gems (60 stam normally)

Quote Originally Posted by wazdaa View Post
    thing is miner is just stamina.

jc/bs is stamina, defense rating, dodge rating, expertise rating, hit rating, strenght, ...

sure if only thing you ever gonna stack is stamina then stay with mining and don' t bother, but if you aspire good results in a dps os aswell, want to keep multiple tanking sets and what not that doesn't require mindless stam stacking, then jc/bs wins out.
    Bravo! well said.

+ Reply to Thread