+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Professions For Tanking?

Best Professions For Tanking?

I'm not sure which professions would be the most beneficial for a tank, so I was wondering what everyone thinks.

I am a JC and a miner atm.

search around the site there are already 2 or 3 threads dedicated to this

JC and Blacksmithing would be one of the top Warrior tank Combo's
    The answer is user error

I'm a Jewelcrafter/Enchanter, mostly out of the ease of being able to take care of my own gear.
    [Female Tauren Warrior]

I was an engineer in BC for the goggles, which I had for many months, and I just powered BS to 360 for for the sockets and shields. I'm pretty happy with this set up so far, but JC may be power leveled prof number 3 if eng sucks like it looks like it might.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

Thanks for the info, BS/JC seems pretty strong. Looks like I'll be lvling one my alts with mining

I think Blizzard's intention is to make it so that no profession is the best for any particular class.

I'm very excited to be Blacksmith and engineer

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    I'm very excited to be Blacksmith and engineer
    Right on brother!
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

Probably several threads on this because it's on people's minds and there is no clear cut winner.

I'm going Blacksmith/Jewel Crafter. The ability to pick up 3 epic JC-only gems with fantastic stats, and add them to sockets I put on my gear seems like a winning combo. I'm also looking at making the neck, ring, and trinkets ASAP as fillers going into heroics and Naxx early.

I like enchanting. Enchantng your rings with +stats is really amazing!

I really wouldn't mind doing enchanting as a second profession. I just haven't seen that "thing" you can get with it that I must have. I big priority for me in Wrath is to have at least one profession that's a serious money maker, people are a bit neurotic about gems so that seems like a safe bet.

Enchanting/BS

You get the bonuses from ring enchants and from the extra sockets.

Although it probably will be about the same as having toughness from mining but with the stamina on your rings youll get more HP when raid buffed with kings.

Or with enchanting, if you dont want the stamina on rings instead you can get the extra AP.

YOu can add sockets to your gear if you go JC?

If that is true JC/BS

personally now that the new epic gems are out jc/bs adds 3 mpre sta than bs/mining does. because of toughness adds 60 sta. and jc can let u use three gems. which give 51sta. so if the 51 replaces the 30 sta ones that 51x3 = 153 and 30x3 = 90 now add the 60 sta u get from minings toughness 90 + 60 150. so in total jc/bs u get 153 and bs/miner u get 150. Only 3 more sta. so is it even worth it anymore to do jc/bs or should i stay bs/miner?

JC + BS if you are rich.

BS + Mining or JC+Mining if you are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Madan View Post
    personally now that the new epic gems are out jc/bs adds 3 mpre sta than bs/mining does. because of toughness adds 60 sta. and jc can let u use three gems. which give 51sta. so if the 51 replaces the 30 sta ones that 51x3 = 153 and 30x3 = 90 now add the 60 sta u get from minings toughness 90 + 60 150. so in total jc/bs u get 153 and bs/miner u get 150. Only 3 more sta. so is it even worth it anymore to do jc/bs or should i stay bs/miner?
    A)It would be (51x3)-(30x3)=63 from JC, not 90, because you are using +51 gems to replace +30 gems. So it would be 123 for JC/BS or JC/Mining versus 120 for BS/mining

B)From a tanking perspective, is 3 stamina worth the cost/hassle of leveling up JC? Because the answer to that, is the answer to your question.

C)From a non-tanking perspective, do you plan on doing anything besides tanking? If so then mining affords you no benifit where as JC would.

I, myself, believe that while Mining is okay, the best combination is Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting...at least for Death Knights. :P

While Jewelcrafting is a clear winner, I compare Blacksmithing and Mining like this:

Blacksmithing gives two sockets. Best gem for either socket is a Solid Dragon's Eye, each giving +51 stamina. That adds up to +102 stamina.

Mining gives a passive buff, Toughness - which at maximum rank gives +60 stamina.

Therefore, Blacksmithing is almost twice as good! However, it can get expensive to fund those professions. I leveled Jewelcrafting/Mining; tough, after 200 mining, I more or less relied on any gold from quests, auctions, and dungeons to fund Jewelcrafting - not being patient enough to grind and level Mining. :'( I hope to level Mining to get mats for at least 400 Blacksmithing and then level my Blacksmithing. I can also make money from professions of any alts.
    Yay! Sparklies and Pretty Butterflies!
    */Gives everyone Candiz, and /Waves with Blankie*
    http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/8/...83400JYOhf.png

Quote Originally Posted by Valquirie View Post
    I, myself, believe that while Mining is okay, the best combination is Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting...at least for Death Knights. :P

While Jewelcrafting is a clear winner, I compare Blacksmithing and Mining like this:

Blacksmithing gives two sockets. Best gem for either socket is a Solid Dragon's Eye, each giving +51 stamina. That adds up to +102 stamina.

Mining gives a passive buff, Toughness - which at maximum rank gives +60 stamina.

Therefore, Blacksmithing is almost twice as good! However, it can get expensive to fund those professions. I leveled Jewelcrafting/Mining; tough, after 200 mining, I more or less relied on any gold from quests, auctions, and dungeons to fund Jewelcrafting - not being patient enough to grind and level Mining. :'( I hope to level Mining to get mats for at least 400 Blacksmithing and then level my Blacksmithing. I can also make money from professions of any alts.
    You can't look at it like that. Sure you can throw those 51 stam gems in there, but that means you aren't using them anywhere else. Its a difference of 3 stam between JC/BS and having mining instead of one of them. JC give you 3 gems that have an additional 21 stam over what you can have, and BS gives you 2 additional sockets over what you would normally have.

I'll put some numbers here to explain.

"Normal gear"
    10 sockets;10 +30 stam gems
    300 stam

"JC gear"
    10 sockets;7 +30 stam 3 +51 stam
    363 stam

"BS gear"
    12 sockets;12 +30 stam gems
    360 stam

"JC/BS gear"
    12 sockets;9 +30 stam 3+51 stam
    423 stam

"JC/Mining gear"
    10 sockets;7 +30 stam 3+51 stam
    +60stam toughness
    423 stam

"BS/Mining gear"
    12 sockets;12 +30 stam
    +60 stam toughness
    420 stam

Quote Originally Posted by Thaak View Post
    You can't look at it like that. . .
    Though I can, I won't delete my post. It's so, so, so extremely stupid! I think it's the lack of sleep... :'(

Thanks for the detailed post/response. :-)
    Yay! Sparklies and Pretty Butterflies!
    */Gives everyone Candiz, and /Waves with Blankie*
    http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/8/...83400JYOhf.png

+ Reply to Thread