+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrath of the Lich King Survival Guide

Wrath of the Lich King Survival Guide

While you wait eagerly for your travels into the frozen continent of Northrend, be sure to read up! This guide will cover nearly everything you'll need to know going into Wrath of the Lich King, from leveling tips and specs to new guides at TankSpot to leveling locations to mods you can use to get an edge.

Check back often over the next few days. I'm going to edit this in piece by piece as I write it, rather than making you wait during downtime. Enjoy!

Wednesday Updates -- If you just read this yesterday, make sure you find all the red text here and read up! (The leveling build was updated!)

Preparedness Guide Podcast (New!)

Direct Download For This Podcast

Listen as you wait in line, install, or are getting started in Wrath. This podcast includes a Druid! (Really!)

TankSpot Library Updated (New!)
    Our guides forum has been updated and will receive a few new changes over the coming weeks. This houses most guides (notably not the Gear Lists, PVP or DPS guides) and most of them are updated for Wrath or are still highly relevant. It is now at the top of the forums list. Click here to head to the new TankSpot Library!

New & Updated Wrath Guides
    There are a lot of guides you'll need to catch up on through the leveling process in Wrath. I'll be moving the guide forums to a much more prominent position ASAP. Here's what you'll want to pay attention to:

General Guides
    Wrath Professions Overview
    Diminishing Returns - Avoidance
    Demog's Tank Gear Rankings
    Polar's Easy Pre-Naxx Tank Gear List
    Poolstick's Instance-Only Tank Gear List (New!)

Death Knight
    Death Knight Threat Values
    Death Knight FAQ: Questions? Answers right here!
    Death Knight AOE Spec, MT Spec and Rotations
    Death Knight Attack Power Coefficients

Druid
    WotLK Feral Druid Guide

Paladin
    Paladinning On Patch Day

Warrior
    Satrina's 3.0 Threat Values
    3.0 Preparedness Guide
    WotLK Fury Gear Guide
    Warrior Single Target Threat Rotation (Flowchart)
    Arms DPS -- When To Execute
    Protection Warrior Guide
    Warrior Arena Cookie Cutters
    Bloodyonoma's 3.0.2 Warrior PvP Guide
    PvProt Protection Guide

Related Podcasts
    Taking Your Calls
    From Patch to Wrath -- 3.0 Warriors & Paladins
    Preparing for Patch 3.0

Stay tuned! We have several other guides coming up soon, including updates to Evil Empire guides and Druid information (ya really!).

Leveling Quests & Inventory
    The first thing you need to do for efficient and enjoyable leveling is clear out your quest log of everything that can't be turned in immediately upon launch. I even got rid of my Repolarized Magneto Sphere for this. Here's how your quest log should look when you step into Northrend:

Special Quest Notice: It's a good idea to get as many quests as possible ready to turn in immediately after launch -- Blizzard has confirmed that quests ready to turn in prior to Wrath launch will give experience once the level cap has been raised. Fill up your Shadowmoon Valley, Netherstorm, and potentially daily quests today and tomorrow! Just make sure your quest log is empty by the time you step foot in Northrend.

The next thing you need to do is go immediately to wowinterface.com and decide between QuestHelper and CarboniteQuest. Alternatively, you can use a professional leveling guide like James' guides. These are leveling utilities that have come into their prime during Burning Crusade -- they are wonderful for effectively finding quest objectives, etc., and bring Warcraft up to the level of newer MMOs in terms of quest assistance. Both have data from Northrend, though neither have the entirety of the available quests in their database -- be forewarned that you'll get to a point where you need to read your quests!

Inventory management is your next big project:

Nothing is more annoying than not being able to turn in a quest because you haven't deleted an item out of your inventory -- keep your inventory and bank as clear as possible! Also, be sure to use any stop at any city to fill your bank with items you aren't sure about.

You'll note that I've got a few stacks of Super Healing Potions on hand, as well as Sour Goat Cheese. The food is meant for efficiency and I am likely to burn through those stacks quickly -- but it's readily available at inns across Northrend. The potions are meant strictly for emergencies.

Your Two Gear Sets
    In my inventory, you'll see I'm holding onto one extra gear set and a few additional items on top of that. My gear is divided into tanking gear and DPS gear. I use ItemRack to quickly switch gear.

The tanking gear is for instances, but it's also for opportunistic AOE grinding. While I do have a more specialized set for both tanking and AOE grinding, they are similar enough that I feel carrying both full sets would be a net decrease in time due to bag space limitations.

The DPS set is, of course, for single-target DPS. This is going to be a full Strength and Crit set, with as much SBV and Attack Power as possible without sacrificing the other stats. If you have Honor or Arena points and don't mind spending them, round out your sets accordingly.

The rule of thumb for gear is that you don't hold onto it if you aren't sure you're going to use it.

First Aid & You! (New!)
    More important to our Warriors but the information should be immediately relevant...

Frostweave Bandage
    This can be learned in both Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra. For Horde in Borean Tundra and both Horde and Alliance in Howling Fjord, the trainers can be found immediately on arrival (off zeppelin platforms or off docks). Brynna Wilson for Alliance in Borean Tundra will be found near the fountain in Valiance Keep. Here are your NPCs:

Borean Tundra Horde - Nurse Applewood - NPC - World of Warcraft
    Borean Tundra Alliance - Brynna Wilson - NPC - World of Warcraft
    Howling Fjord Horde - Sally Tompkins - NPC - World of Warcraft
    Howling Fjord Alliance - Anchorite Yazmina - NPC - World of Warcraft

You can also learn this from Olissara, the cross faction First Aid trainer in Dalaran.

The best method for skill-ups is to combine Frostweave and Heavy Netherweave. You'll need 400 skill before you can learn Heavy Frostweave Bandage, which is learned from a dropped book (in Beta this was dropping regularly in Heroics, though this may have been changed).

Leveling Locations
    Here's a quick overview of quest locations and instances you'll want to hit during the leveling process:

Dalaran & Cold Weather Flying
    This is your Shattrath (and a significantly better looking one, at that). While this shouldn't be an immediate goal for leveling purposes, getting here is something you need to keep in mind. You can access this one of three ways:
    • Mage portal -- Mages can port themselves to Dalaran at 71 and (more pertinent to our community) can provide portals for others at 74.
    • Teleport to Dalaran -- In the ruins beneath the flying city, there is a crystal which can be used at level 74 to transport directly to the city. However, there is a pre-requisite quest which will become available at many of the quest hubs where the Kirin Tor reside once you reach 74.
    Once you are level 77, you are able to learn Cold Weather Flying from Hira Snowdawn on Krasus Landing in Dalaran. This will cost you 1,000 gold. Remember the location once you're here -- Krasus Landing is the quickest and easiest way in and out of the city!

Xav's Instance Power-Leveling Outline (New!)
    Xav posted a link to his guild forums in this thread, where he's outlined his intended progression through Wrath of the Lich King. If you've got a dedicated party, read up!

Alliance Flightpaths (New!)
    Leytur posted a link to a valuable flightpath guide on Wowwiki. Unfortunately, there is not a Horde counterpart at this time -- I will link wowwiki zone guides where pertinent in the progression outline since those normally contain flightpath information as well.

Howling Fjord & Borean Tundra (68-72)
    These are your two starting zones. Personally, I favor Howling Fjord for it's immediate instance access, AOE opportunities on shoveltusks, and quick quest lines -- but if you're looking for gear, I found Borean Tundra had more opportunities. The main strike against Borean Tundra is it is hideously ugly and may give Desolace a run for it's money.

Borean Tundra can be reached through Stormwind Harbor and Orgrimmar. There are two flight paths available for Alliance (Fizzcrank, Valiance Keep), three for Horde (Bor'gorok, Taunka'le, Warsong Hold), and three neutral flight paths (Amber Ledge, Transitus Shield, Unu'pe. For Alliance, expect the areas immediately outside Valiance Keep to be swamped with players. Borean Tundra gives access to the Nexus, a caster-heavy series of instances.

Howling Fjord can be reached through Menethil Harbor and Undercity. There are three flight paths available for Alliance (Valgarde, Westguard Keep, Fort Wildevar), four for Horde (New Agamand, Camp Winterhoof, Apothecary Camp, Vengeance Landing), and one neutral flight path (Kamagua). Utgarde Keep and Pinnacle are the major instances in this area, and Utgarde Keep is almost immediately available -- and recommended -- on reaching the fjord.

Utgarde Keep (70-72)
    This is a relatively easy instance for tanks, and unlike the Nexus in Borean Tundra, can be accessed almost immediately upon reaching Northrend. This instance is built almost exclusively around melee damage. Please note -- this instance gives the opportunity for two full levels if you chain clear it which is why I'm covering it in-depth. I won't give full instance outlines for other leveling instances in this thread.

The following movie is courtesy Xav of Premonition (view full thread here).

[ame="http://files.filefront.com/PremoUtgardeSpeedavi/;11968603;/fileinfo.html"]PremoUtgardeSpeed.avi - FileFront.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://static4.filefront.com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=798956@@AMEPARAM@@static4.filefront .com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=798956[/ame]

Recommend Kills In Trash (When Present):
    Weaponsmith (has Sunder Armor/Stuns)
    Strategist (Blind, Ticking Time Bomb similar to Blood Furnace engineer bombs)
    Tunneling Ghouls
    Spiritualist

Boss Tips:
    Prince Keleseth is relatively easy to deal with, so long as the party is aware of Frost Tombs and break them when they are cast on a party member. There are vrykul summons through this but they're easy to deal with.

Skarvald the Constructor and Dalronn the Controller can be killed in either order (whichever one is killed will come back as a spirit until the second is killed); Skarvald charges, which is annoying for casters. Dalronn summons skeletons, which is annoying for tanks. Thus, I recommend killing Dalronn first.

Ingvar the Plunderer is the final boss of this instance and he has two phases. Many of his abilities are AOE. However, his heaviest hitting abilities (Smash and Dark Smash) can be outranged or sidestepped, as they are conal attacks similar to Shockwave, and the direction they head is determined at the moment he begins casting (I ran right through him to avoid them).

Loot:
    Arm Blade of Augelmir - Item - World of Warcraft
    Ingvar's Monolithic Cleaver - Item - World of Warcraft
    Skarvald's Dragonskin Habergeon - Item - World of Warcraft

Also, from quests, you can gain these rewards:
    Horde - Vambraces of the Vengeance Bringer - Item - World of Warcraft
    Horde - Vendetta Bindings - Item - World of Warcraft
    Horde - Tiled-Stone Pendant - Item - World of Warcraft
    Horde - Hundred Tooth Necklace - Item - World of Warcraft
    Horde/Alliance - Executioner's Band - Item - World of Warcraft
    Alliance - Woven Steel Necklace - Item - World of Warcraft
    Alliance - Razor-Blade Pendant - Item - World of Warcraft

Where Do I Go From Here? Progression & Direction, By Level (New!)
    Use the following links to go to the wowwiki page for more information. Where possible, I've the wowwiki link will jump you directly to flight paths (so scroll up or down for more info on the zone if you need):

Dragonblight (71-74) - Wowwiki Zone Guide / Wowhead Zone Guide
    Grizzly Hills (73-75) - Wowwiki Zone Guide / Wowhead Zone Guide
    Crystalsong Forest (74-76) - Wowwiki Zone Guide / Wowhead Zone Guide
    Zul'drak (74-77) - Wowwiki Zone Guide / Wowhead Zone Guide
    Sholazar Basin (75-78) - Wowwiki Zone Guide / Wowhead Zone Guide
    The Storm Peaks (76-80) - Wowwiki Zone Guide / Wowhead Zone Guide
    Icecrown (77-80) - Wowwiki Zone Guide / Wowhead Zone Guide
    Wintergrasp (77-80 PvP) - Wowwiki Zone Guide / Wowhead Zone Guide

Protection Warrior Spec, Glyph, Trinkets
    Since this happens to be the subject I cover, I'll throw in a bit of Warrior specific information. Here's the spec I'm planning on moving forward with:
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

You can switch two points out of Shield Specialization to Booming Voice or Heroic Strike (if you do this, switch the remaining three points in Shield Spec to Anticipation since you're already losing a lot of effectiveness on Shield Spec). This build is optimized for damage output. It will do fine in tanking, but make no mistake, your goal here is to kill efficiently. I've chosen Shield Spec because it gives me a higher chance to proc Revenge without losing out on rage.

Put the next points into Improved Heroic Strike, Booming Voice, and/or Unbridled Wrath. In other words, don't touch points that don't affect your damage, even if the benefit seems tiny.

At level 74 or whenever you first get to Dalaran, you have an opportunity to respec before getting back out into the world. Assuming you're going to be out in the world for much of the rest of your leveling process, go ahead and respec to this build:
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (Updated!)

The points seem awkward if you get them that early, but from this point on, you can start heading towards Deep Wounds -- dedicate your remaining points to this end, then either put points in Cruelty or Anger Management. Also, if you stance dance regularly for world PVP or anything else, Tactical Mastery is preferred to Deflection.

Glyphs
    These are the glyphs I'm running with currently (this is the same as my previous list, but read the postscript):

Major
    Glyph of Revenge
    Glyph of Rapid Charge

Minor
    Glyph of Battle
    Glyph of Charge
    Glyph of Bloodrage

The Rapid Charge glyph is only good so long as you are killing mobs and mobile in sub-15 seconds. I'm anticipating I will reach a point where this is no longer the case. I have a Glyph of Heroic Strike on hand for the moment I feel that is the case.

As far as glyphs at 80, I'm not positive yet on what I'm going to do. I am certain Glyph of Blocking will be in there, though.

Leveling Trinkets
    You've no doubt gathered plenty of trinkets. My recommendation is using one solid healing trinket, preferably Ashtongue Talisman of Valor and one solid DPS trinket (this includes SBV trinkets). Only use a timed healing trinket such as Spyglass of the Hidden Fleet if you are confident you can switch it out with DPS trinkets regularly w/o forgetting. If you've got a major potion stockpile or you're leveling w/ a healer, or if you don't have good healing trinkets, switch to two straight DPS trinkets should work for everything, including tanking.

When you get access to Enraged Regeneration (obtained at level 75), you'll need to gauge your health recovery rates. Don't bother with Ashtongue Talisman if you're fine on health.

Tanking Responsibilities
    Tanking -- The Flasks You'll Want
    There are three major flasks you'll want to keep in mind for tanking, and going from one to the next is a clear-cut decision based on your circumstances.

Lesser Flask of Toughness
    Flask of Stoneblood
    Flask of Endless Rage

Uncrittable & Lesser Toughness
    Reaching uncrittable is a relatively difficult endeavor immediately upon hitting level 80. While being crittable is not a problem in 5-mans and heroics -- remember, only normal attacks can crit -- it may be a concern to you if you are quickly headed into 10-mans. For this reason, consider Lesser Flask of Toughness. You'll still need 525 Defense Skill, though, as opposed to 540 (thanks, Naka!).

Could you name and link your inventory add on? I found one that looks good but it doesn't come from one of the main add on sites so I'm not sure if I should extract it. What's the worst that could happen? :O

While i don't directly disagree with clearing out the quest log, i plan on doing all of the Isle of Queldanas dailies and keeping them complete in my log, turning them in super quick, and using the teleport scroll to get to shattrath and begin my journey to northrend. 10 BC quests may not be much compared to LK xp requirements, but its sure better then nothing.
    Galushi - 85 Dwarf Warrior - Shadowsong US Alliance.
    Branigan - 85 Goblin Warrior - Kilrogg US Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Leytur View Post
    Could you name and link your inventory add on? I found one that looks good but it doesn't come from one of the main add on sites so I'm not sure if I should extract it. What's the worst that could happen? :O
    Bagnon

Quote Originally Posted by Galushi View Post
    While i don't directly disagree with clearing out the quest log, i plan on doing all of the Isle of Queldanas dailies and keeping them complete in my log, turning them in super quick, and using the teleport scroll to get to shattrath and begin my journey to northrend. 10 BC quests may not be much compared to LK xp requirements, but its sure better then nothing.
    Do we have confirmation that'll work? It's worth a shot, I'll go ahead and edit it in. It hadn't crossed my mind because of the quest changes pre-BC.

Thanks, and am I missing something or can't we edit our own posts? I wanted to edit instead of making another post and messing up the replies. . . .

My question is: is that itemrack updated? The only one I've found is pre-patch so I've switched to Outfitter but I miss itemrack's ease of use and keybindings.

AFAIK, they changed the sphere to only work in BEM anyway, so it's not as fun anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Leytur View Post
    Thanks, and am I missing something or can't we edit our own posts? I wanted to edit instead of making another post and messing up the replies. . . .

My question is: is that itemrack updated? The only one I've found is pre-patch so I've switched to Outfitter but I miss itemrack's ease of use and keybindings.
    Yes, I believe the ItemRack I linked to is updated. It's certainly working for me.

News forum posts can't be edited. This is precautionary so I can move user posts here without worrying they'll get edited while they're on the frontpage. Unfortunately I can't switch the editing privileges between posts and threads.

I must say.. why would you clean your quest log?? I have 19 complete quests, all in BEM that i can hand in and get 200k XP in about 10 mins. Far faster than anything you can do at launch (thats if your racing to 80 ofc )

I was going to stack a bunch of quests up and turn them in on Thurs, so I went to Netherstorm (found one quest), then I went to SMV (found 0 quests). Well......I guess I was fairly thorough on this toon, eh? Oh well, off to questing again Thurs..........
    "Resistance is Futile"

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Do we have confirmation that'll work? It's worth a shot, I'll go ahead and edit it in. It hadn't crossed my mind because of the quest changes pre-BC.

I haven't heard anything otherwise, and I'm 99% certain it worked for when TBC launched. I know a few people that are doing this so at least some population thinks its worth it.

I wouldn't reccomend doing a ton of prequesting since, like i posted originally, the quest experience from BC quests will be small compared to LK stuff, so running around turning in a lot of quests is not as efficient as just going to Northrend and starting there. I suggested doing SSO dailies because they can all be turned in quickly at one location and you can quickly move to shattrath ( and then to a capital city to get to northrend).
    Galushi - 85 Dwarf Warrior - Shadowsong US Alliance.
    Branigan - 85 Goblin Warrior - Kilrogg US Horde.

I've edited that. Looks like I'm gonna be doing some questing tomorrow.

For what it is worth, I tested dailies in the beta and they did give experience their (I specifically did a couple of sunwell isle ones and the nagrand one, all giving on the order of 10k'ish exp IIRC). I assume the same will be true on live, but that is just an assumption.

their = there

I like that SSO idea. I was toying with the idea of finishing off SMV (I dinged 70 in neither), but SSO is easier and I really really wanna get to the Fjords.

For those proffession lazy people like me, try get 375 before it hits too.

I wasn't 300 mining when TBC came out, and soon after I got 70 on my warrior I level my 50 pally to 70 who had mining, which meant I never level my warriors mining. Spent the last 3 days going from 200 to 375... fun fun

I need confirmation because I am reading different things about stacking and completing quests then turning them in after the expansion:

Do you get the reward you agree to when you take the quest or do you get the reward that it is changed to once the expansion goes live?

Great post! Looking forward to updates under "Where you're headed each level" headline. Made some research myself and found a few nice items that are great upgrades for me (T4/kara/badge gear), but might not be for others with endgame gear.

Anyway, starting off in Borean Tundra to do Nexus quest asap for Tundra Pauldrons , then off to Dragonblight and a place called Azjol Nerub or something to quest for Expelling Gauntlets. Questing and grinding up to lvl 73 when the craftable shield Saronite Defender is available.

Oh, and Itemrack is not updated but works fine anyway.

*$

One thing to mention for people who like to get the dungeon quests before hitting the first two dungeons is that Utgarde Keeps quests can be gotten within 10-20 minutes of arriving in HF, while the Nexus quests come from a quest hub that isn't your first stop in Borean Tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninan View Post
    I need confirmation because I am reading different things about stacking and completing quests then turning them in after the expansion:

Do you get the reward you agree to when you take the quest or do you get the reward that it is changed to once the expansion goes live?
    The reason it's in question is because Beta is showing we can gain experience, etc., from quests, but pre-BC did not allow the same for quests taken prior to the expansion release. We really don't know.

That's why I'd recommend you fill up your quest log. If you're already waiting in anticipation, why not prepare for it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Great post! Looking forward to updates under "Where you're headed each level" headline. Made some research myself and found a few nice items that are great upgrades for me (T4/kara/badge gear), but might not be for others with endgame gear.
    I made a thread specifically for this sort of info in the Quests and Achievements forum. So if anyone else has done this sort of homework PLEASE head over there and add it. I'm really bad at figuring this stuff out.

+ Reply to Thread