+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideal Warrior Single Target Threat Rotation

I use a devastate/heroic strike spam macro to dump rage, its somewhat less effective at this after the revenge glyph but having the 2 together, does it equivilate to being equal to or more tps than conc blow or sw? I didn't really know the values of conc blow vs shockwave, my tanking pre-wrath i generally mixed to 2 up after 5 sunders and both revenge and SS were on cd.

By my instinct(good ole devastate spam) I usually miss the first several second of my S&B proc and after realizing it happens, i'm waiting for a gcd to use it. Anyone know a good ui or addon tool that is usefull for such procs?
    I remember The Beets - Killer Tofu Tour

I've customised SCT so that "SHIELD SLAM NOW" lights up on my screen in giant green letter whenever sword and board procs.

This chart was amazingly useful for me. I'm playing a reroll prot warrior, and this priority list really made ability choices easy to understand.

When combined with the Glyph of Revenge, the rotation gets even more impressive, and becomes a great rotation for soloing, though I leave out conc blow for single mobs unless I need to bandage or something.

Thanks for posting this

I haven't seen the bonus threat for Mocking Blow anywhere.
    But if it's doing weapon damage with a high threat modifier (and possibly an extra 25% damage with the glyph), it's probably worth using over a devastate when shield slam is coming up on the next GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by breaklance View Post
    By my instinct(good ole devastate spam) I usually miss the first several second of my S&B proc and after realizing it happens, i'm waiting for a gcd to use it. Anyone know a good ui or addon tool that is usefull for such procs?
    I set up Satrina Buff Frames to include a special frame that only holds two buffs, Sword and Board and Glyph of Revenge near the center of my screen by my HUD, so that I'll never not notice the buffs being up.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1...8125742op4.jpg

It works very good, I haven't missed it a single time since I move them there.
    [Female Tauren Warrior]

Quote Originally Posted by Clav View Post
    I've customised SCT so that "SHIELD SLAM NOW" lights up on my screen in giant green letter whenever sword and board procs.
    Looks like it works well, I don't like SCT personally, one thing I liked is Xav's use of Ghost:Pulse to light up when S&B procs, check his UI sticky for info on it and screenshots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

i use powerauras mod to tell me when shield slam or revenge are ready to use.

WoWScrnShot_111608_074308.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

basically i get a picture of a shield slam over my left shoulder when its off cooldown (either from SnB or just regular cooldown) and a picture of revenge near my left leg when its ready to use (not on CD and has proc'd)

I also have a vigilance picture if im in a party and no member has vigilance on them. (cant see it in that picture cause im solo)

I have a shout picture if no shout is up. (thats the white "power" word)

and i have a white "ring" around me when i have more then 50 rage

Quote Originally Posted by Clav View Post

I soooo want that please tell me how!

I'm going to reference your Flowchart in my thread:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...priorties.html

It's an extension of this discussion.

While the a priority list like this is immensely valauable, I think that our priorities change based on where we are in a particular encounter. You can read more about it in my post.

Feedback is appreciated. I probably left a ton of stuff out.

I slacked at work and made this graph even more visual... Makes easier to grasp at first glance IMO. (Only that shield slam isn't at best there, was too lazy to resize the original after finding out). Thanks to original poster and all the comments above...

it looks nice I think we could improve the chart with some loops and visually changing the appearance of the "if" kinda like Flux Diagram (the ones you see on introduction to programming)

If Karilyn is ok with it I could try to implement that but it would need some revisions since the loops can lead to confusion or wrong decisions. :P
    http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Agamaggan/63268.jpg
    "But I know Pain. Oh I know pain. And Sometimes I share it...with someone like you" Batman - Year One

Would Heroic Throw be included in the rotation at all? Aside from when you pull the boss? Just wondering as its stated as a high threat move but I am not sure how it stacks compared to Shield Slam, Revng, and Dev.

Thanks for the input all.

Interesting flowchart, and the first 3 GCD's are more or less how I imagined the high-threat "rotation" (more of an order of priorities) to be.

I'm confused about the implementation of CB/SW though.

First off, why do you wait till after the 3rd GCD to add CB/SW into the mix? Doesn't Dev's innate threat increase w/ each application up to the 5th one? What makes CB/SW worth more threat after only two applications of Dev?

Why chose it over a 3rd application of Devastate? Or are you counting on S&B proccing a few times in there, bringing you close to 5 sunders?

Also, are you certain that using devastate for it's S&B proc wouldn't result in more TPS over a period of time?

Or is this intended to go for burst threat, with no chance involved?

I hope I've explained my questions well enough. I dunno... basically, why not devastate?

Quote Originally Posted by cjc813 View Post
    Interesting flowchart, and the first 3 GCD's are more or less how I imagined the high-threat "rotation" (more of an order of priorities) to be.

I'm confused about the implementation of CB/SW though.

First off, why do you wait till after the 3rd GCD to add CB/SW into the mix? Doesn't Dev's innate threat increase w/ each application up to the 5th one? What makes CB/SW worth more threat after only two applications of Dev?

Why chose it over a 3rd application of Devastate? Or are you counting on S&B proccing a few times in there, bringing you close to 5 sunders?

Also, are you certain that using devastate for it's S&B proc wouldn't result in more TPS over a period of time?

Or is this intended to go for burst threat, with no chance involved?

I hope I've explained my questions well enough. I dunno... basically, why not devastate?
    Devastate is now, by a wide margin, our lowest damage and lowest threat attack. It currently serves two purposes... To proc Sword and Board, or as filler when other better moves are on cooldown.

Since it is the 3rd global cooldown after the usage of Shield Slam, Shield Slam will be coming up immediately on the next cooldown, regardless of whether Sword and Board proceed.

Also, while I didn't mention it in there (This is sustained rotation), the start of any raid boss fight would pretty much be Devastate five times in a row to maximize the rest of the raid's melee DPS. After that is done, you pretty much remain busy trying to maximize your own damage by staying as close to this rotation as possible (While still keeping an eye on when you need to break from it to use an emergency cooldown like Last Stand or Shield Wall)

Thing is, the flowchart is a guideline, not a hard rule, because as we all know, there is rarely a point in time on a raid boss where you get to stand in one place, never moving, never stopping doing as much DPS as possible (Not to mention it would be pretty boring ). You just try to stay as close to the rotation as possible, the closer, the better, because you'll be doing more personal DPS, and if you manage to put out, let's say, 100 more DPS, you are helping the raid get that much closer to killing the boss.
    [Female Tauren Warrior]

Haven't gotten to play WotLK yet, but it appears that tanking now consists of more thinking on the fly then ever before? Good news!

even with this rotation i'm having thret issues vs protection pallys. it seems like they just have the ability to gen more thret than i do? what am i doing wrong?? or is that how it is? pally i run with thret is always threw the roof, an it dosent seem like he is working that hard for it.

Is it actually smarter to wait until one GCD before Shield Slam/Revenge would come up to use Conc Blow/Shockwave over Devastate?

From a rage standpoint, I agree with this. However, in limitless, or near-limitless rage situations, maximizing damage/threat is the more important route.

Looking at several WWS parses, it seems that Conc Blow/Shockwave hit harder on average than Shield Slam, with the caveat being that Shield Slam's 15% higher crit percentage pushes the true average damage over.

So if you think about it, we're relying on the 30% chance of Sword and Board proccing, and even then, we need the additional 15% chance to crit given by Sword and Board to make it worthwhile from a pure damage standpoint. Using amazing math skills, 0.3 * 0.15 = 0.045 - a whopping 4.5% of the time the combination of free Shield Slam + Devastate will beat out Conc Blow/Shockwave + Devastate. Frankly, that doesn't seem to be nearly high enough to be worth it.

Of course, another factor is that a Shield Block aided Shield Slam hits harder than a Shockwave/Conc Blow. So when Shield Block is up, 30% of the time we will hit harder, and the additional 15% crit chance just becomes icing on the cake.

So, when Shield Block is down, there seems to be no reason not to use Conc Blow whenever it is on CD over Devastate, as it not only costs very little rage, but has a shorter GCD. Shockwave's high rage cost + quirkyness could be enough to deter that from being used over a first Devastate.

The question now is whether passing up on a Devastate for a Conc Blow is worth it while Shield Block is still active. I would assume that it wouldn't be, but if any mathheads want to take a crack at it be my guest.
    Last edited by larson; 12-08-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunson View Post
    i use powerauras mod to tell me when shield slam or revenge are ready to use.

WoWScrnShot_111608_074308.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

basically i get a picture of a shield slam over my left shoulder when its off cooldown (either from SnB or just regular cooldown) and a picture of revenge near my left leg when its ready to use (not on CD and has proc'd)

I also have a vigilance picture if im in a party and no member has vigilance on them. (cant see it in that picture cause im solo)

I have a shout picture if no shout is up. (thats the white "power" word)

and i have a white "ring" around me when i have more then 50 rage
    question, have you been able to get the vigilance alert to work in both a 5-man and a raid? I can get it to work in either, but not both

Alrighty, I have that Sunder Armor glyph which allows me to hit another target when I use Sunder Armor. What would be a good AoE Tank rotation using that? (i.e. Thunder Clap -> Sunder Armor -> Cleave???)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gronka View Post
    Alrighty, I have that Sunder Armor glyph which allows me to hit another target when I use Sunder Armor. What would be a good AoE Tank rotation using that? (i.e. Thunder Clap -> Sunder Armor -> Cleave???)

Thanks
    you will still apply both debuffs with devistate ...devistate>sunder.

as for aoe, charge -> tcalp -> shockwave -> shieldslam (for singletarget dps)-> dev-> tclap, cleaving the whole time.

+ Reply to Thread