+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideal Warrior Single Target Threat Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Karilyn View Post
    Notes taken about Shockwave and Revenge.

Moving Revenge higher up on the chart.
    Imp revenge and glyph of revenge (which tacks a free HS onto it) are Godly.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

i take back my "whack-a-mole" analogy for Post 3.0 Warrior tanking.

it's choose your own adventure

nice chart.

Question for the few of you aware of the situation....

As of 3.0.2 (initial 3.0 release), rend was doing ~300% of the threat a single devastate did (aka that put it about on par/slightly ahead of tclap/shockwave/conc). Now however, imp rend AND rend itself have both been nurfed down for prot. Question is still.... is it higher threat than tclap (which would be available every time as a filler since conc/shockwave are on cd) or did it get nurfed down too far that throwing tclap in as a filler will get more?

Awesome Chart!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Heroic strike is on next swing and doesn't take up a GCD..It is implied that you use it when you have enough rage 30+ should warrant heroic strike and directly after a revenge (as you should have that lovely glyph)
    Awesome Chart btw! I never had a great rotation, just mashing my buttons on skills that aren't on CD lol. Gonna have to try it out. I do have to say tho, now with Glyph of Revenge, I actually created a macro for revenge and HS. When Revenge is up, I use Revenge (allowing glyph to activate), and right after is a free HS. Its really nice to have but gonna try out the chart and practice on PUGS before WOTLK comes out woohoo.

Hmm, very interesting flow-chart. I must however say I've never seen Concusion Blow and Shockwave add anything positive to my TPS output. This could be due to Omen not registering them or something, but using the priority of:

1. Shield Slam
    2. Revenge
    3. Devastate

Seems to, by for, yeild the most threat for me. The SoB proc is what I think it's due to. When it procs threat goes through the roof. But I might be wrong on this? Figures might also be very different at lvl 80 compared to now at lvl 70.

I would also add, like some have stated, a lot of event's you might want to keep Shockwave for specific events. For instance i save it for the Sentinel adds on M'uru (Thunderclap + Shockwave gives very nice AoE threat).

I also read somewhere someone claiming prio 1 when entering a fight is 5 sunders (i.e. devestate x5). It's not optimal for warriors threat, but it should be for total raid dps (which in the end is what it's all about as long as threat isn't an issue).

Concussion blow has two advantages that warrant it taking up a filler spot on the last second of shield slams cooldown:

1. High damage output.

2. Shorter GCD.

If you notice when you use concussion blow, your GCD refreshes ALOT faster than it usually should (roughly half the usual GCD time), the orc racial blood fury has the same effect. Shockwave never finds a place in my rotations, I'm filling them with everything else.

I can't see anyone saying that revenge is only going to available after you block, it won't necessarily be up every time you want it. Get an avoidance streak and you'll soon find yourself lost on a flow chart.

The key is just to know the priority of attacks/abilities. Revenge was so important pre 3.0 because of it's Threat-per-Rage value. Now the fact it does a pretty decent chunk of damage, can proc a FREE Shield Slam and a FREE Heroic Strike (Glyph assumed) should make it the mainstay of your button mashing.

Of course Shield Slam should be used every cooldown or S&B Proc. Afterall, its massive threat and damage, but that's all it is. Revenge is the key ability now. For 2(?) Rage, you could get a Revenge, Shield Slam and Heroic Strike. Think about the threat those abilities offer, how much damage they do and how much rage you could get for that damage.

Right, thinking this through, putting concussion blow or shockwave on the 4.5s mark doesn't affect SoB procs more than for the rage-efficiency of a free SS so in essence that might be worth trying out.

I didn't know anything in the warriors arsenal affected GCD other than us parrying.

As sorednbored points out revenge isn't a given in the rotation anymore even if it's an important asset to keep in mind in your rotation IF it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Thugs View Post
    Right, thinking this through, putting concussion blow or shockwave on the 4.5s mark doesn't affect SoB procs more than for the rage-efficiency of a free SS so in essence that might be worth trying out.

I didn't know anything in the warriors arsenal affected GCD other than us parrying.
    You're thinking about swing timer and parry haste. GCD stands for global cooldown and is the general cooldown that affects all your abilities after a devastate or some other ability. Concussion blow halves the timer on the subsequent GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by sorednbored View Post
    I can't see anyone saying that revenge is only going to available after you block, it won't necessarily be up every time you want it. Get an avoidance streak and you'll soon find yourself lost on a flow chart.
    Revenge is only usable after the warrior blocks, dodges or parries an attack.

Revenge - Spell - World of Warcraft

I don't know why people allways think revenge comes only from blocks.
    It is right that the chance without 90% sum of dodge block and parry is smaller but it is still something like 60%+. And the uptime is long enough to use it after shield slam.

Well something to TC vs. Devastate. Looking at my Raidvalues TC_Threat>Devastate_Threat but Devastate_Damage>TC_Damage. So if the next damage dealer is far behind me I only refresh TC debuff - if not I use TC on cd.

Meh, stupid internets proving me wrong.

Still.

Use it whenever its up, unless Shield Slam is available, in which case, use that first.

The new rotation is:

1. Shield Slam
    2. Revenge & Heroic Strike
    3. ????
    4. Profit!

Since 3.0 launched, Rev is almost perma lit for me. At least more often than its CD so its not really an issue. A few weeks ago I posed the "BR for threat" (IE, having more revenge) but it turns out that's a silly line of reasoning on my part.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    I would still use Devastate in their place for the first 5 GCD's that aren't Shield Slam or Revenge, though - higher threat due to Sunder applications, and the fact that you're actually putting Sunder's up ASAP, for increased raid DPS and increased tank threat.
    On a boss I would do this as well, shield slam and revenge, and throw up devastates in between.

Sword and Board effectively breaks any "set" rotation, as it pertains to single targets. Now as warriors we have to make calls "on the fly". I believe this adds a bit more fun to the class and spec personally.

But for multi-tanking there can be a "set" rotation. I found the best one to be described here:

Your Role: Maximizing DPS and Minimizing Damage Taken - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

We don't have a set rotation but you can have a set of priorities given CD's and what not.

That CB gave us half the GCD was something completely new to me, interesting!

Semi related question to this. I'm new to tanking so if this sounds like a no brainer I apologize. Should you prioritize keeping 5 sunders (via devestate) and thunder clap debuff active at all times and work this priority list around that?

Sunderdebuff will be up without looking on it. The debuff lasts long enough that before it fades there will be another devastate. Devastate is low on priority but it is still often there. And beside all theory a devastate more at a point where it was not the 100% ideal skill is still better than think too long and lose time.

Thunderclap debuff should be allways up in a progress fight.

One difference coming in Wrath though is the lesser importance of a warrior or even the main-tank to keep up the thunderclap debuff since more classes bring this to the table today. But the or a similar debuff should of course be up on the boss at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Thugs View Post
    One difference coming in Wrath though is the lesser importance of a warrior or even the main-tank to keep up the thunderclap debuff since more classes bring this to the table today. But the or a similar debuff should of course be up on the boss at all times.
    Itís a very short list Icy Touch 14% ~12seconds, Judgements of the Just 20% ~20seconds, Thunderclap 10-20% ~30seconds, Infected Wounds 10-20% ~12seconds, and thunderclap (max % effect). is on the top of it for raiding because it hits ALL targets in range not just 1 like the others.

+ Reply to Thread