+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weapon enchants and WoTLK - Mongoose or Potency

Weapon enchants and WoTLK - Mongoose or Potency

Hey everyone,

After just picking up my Cleaver of the Unforgiving, I was looking at getting it enchanted. However, with the expansion coming out, the quick answer of Mongoose, doesn't seem like it would be the best, at least in my opinion.

I'm thinking that Potency (+20 strength) would be better than Mongoose, since the weapon probably wont be used for tanking at 80, and the name of the game will be leveling, I was thinking that a static +40 atp and +10 sbv would be better than a proc that gave +2% speed and 120 agility.

Even though I know Mongoose has an estimated proc rate of 1/minute, it just doesn't sound that impressive (in the leveling sense), but maybe I'm missing something.

What are your thoughts? Just looking for some insight as to what other tanks are doing.

from what i can guess is that potency will add more to the pot by increasing your base stats str. Also with BoK then you get a minor increase again..

As an alternative you could consider getting executioner. Expensive but i like the big numbers it then produces...but it is a proc.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

is it only one a minute? feels like an awful lot more than that. Go with which ever is cheaper or prettier IMO. At this stage I don't see what an enchant is really going to do for you. I can't see the enchant doing more than one extra kill/hour when questing, and you're not expected to have enchants for the instances so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I had to get one it'd be potency because I don't much care for the RNG too much.

These days, BC enchant materials are going very cheap. An hour running dailies will usually cover the costs for Mongoose/Executioner/Potency.

Me personally - I went with Executioner on my threat weapon, and Mongoose on my survivability weapon. These both proc frequently, and I don't regret the choice not to go with Potency.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldron View Post
    These days, BC enchant materials are going very cheap. An hour running dailies will usually cover the costs for Mongoose/Executioner/Potency.

Me personally - I went with Executioner on my threat weapon, and Mongoose on my survivability weapon. These both proc frequently, and I don't regret the choice not to go with Potency.
    This. I have two cleavers. One with a hit/agi gem and Executioner and another with a defense/stam gem and mongoose. Works out pretty nice.

But then again that's from a warrior perspective...not sure if that stands true for paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    This. I have two cleavers. One with a hit/agi gem and Executioner and another with a defense/stam gem and mongoose. Works out pretty nice.

But then again that's from a warrior perspective...not sure if that stands true for paladins.

I can understand where Mongoose would be great for tanking though, but from a leveling perspective (ie damage), I don't see it being useful.

Executioner however might be.

When it procs do you notice a sizable difference in the damage you deal?

EDIT: After looking up some info on wowhead, I think I'll go with executioner.

They seem to say it ends up being an ~6% increase in damage

I got my cleaver about 3 weeks ago and I put Mongoose on it just because I could afford it and it's so hot looking and it's kind of like a status symbol. I really like Potency, though. Potency is a very smart chant to get on your weapon. It's not the prettiest but it's not ugly, either, and it's practical. Like the guy above said, though, you should be able to afford any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannald View Post
    I can understand where Mongoose would be great for tanking though, but from a leveling perspective (ie damage), I don't see it being useful.

Executioner however might be.

When it procs do you notice a sizable difference in the damage you deal?
    Yes...a sizable increase.

But mongoose is still a good dps enchant too. Haste and a ton of agi are pretty decent.

But yeah, for warriors, executioner is pretty glorious (doubly so for prot since we're always going to have a few sunders on things because devastate is part of our dps rotation)...easily the top dps enchant.

+ Reply to Thread