+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Crit cap???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4

    Crit cap???

    Ok, I went back like 15 pages or so trying to find an answer to this question. Is there a Crit cap for 2H Arms warriors? If so what would the percentage be?
    ~Hoping every slip is not slide~

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,555
    On a boss, 85% crit (or 75%, not sure if the glancing chance was 15 or 25%) for white damage.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    420
    Your crit chance cannot be higher than your chance to land a successful blow on your target, so the cap is:

    100 - chance to miss - target's chance to dodge/parry/block - glancings (which is 25%).

    So, if you're hit capped and expertise capped, your crit 'cap' is 75%.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4
    Hmmm...So what percentage should my Crit Chance be when I'm looking at my Melee attributes in my character screen?
    ~Hoping every slip is not slide~

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkuul View Post
    Hmmm...So what percentage should my Crit Chance be when I'm looking at my Melee attributes in my character screen?
    As high as possible? There really isn't a concrete answer to this question.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,555
    As high as possible assuming you aren't gimping your ap / hit / exp in order to get high crit.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4
    its around 30.5% now, is that fair??
    ~Hoping every slip is not slide~

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    48
    depends on your gear-level and other stats....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbusier View Post
    Your crit chance cannot be higher than your chance to land a successful blow on your target, so the cap is:

    100 - chance to miss - target's chance to dodge/parry/block - glancings (which is 25%).

    So, if you're hit capped and expertise capped, your crit 'cap' is 75%.
    Last I checked this "crit cap" was a fallacy that Blizz dispelled. They said that crit chance is applied to all attacks including ones that were miss/dodge/parry/block. That being said, it was a couple years old now, so that might no longer be true (it holds up though, since if you have no hit value and 40% crit chance you don't crit on every successful hit).

    Needless to say if you're gearing well and have enough to be hit capped, you can't too much crit value. For Arms there may be an optimal value for crit chance though (like Elemental Shamans critting for mana cost reduction). I'm not well-versed in Arms dynamics though, so someone can probably answer that better.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    2,437
    over 30% unbuffed crit for anything up to T6 should be fine, once you are in T6 regualrly I would shoot for 33-35 unbuffed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Last I checked this "crit cap" was a fallacy that Blizz dispelled. They said that crit chance is applied to all attacks including ones that were miss/dodge/parry/block. That being said, it was a couple years old now, so that might no longer be true (it holds up though, since if you have no hit value and 40% crit chance you don't crit on every successful hit).
    This is true, but does in no way negate what I said. No amount of crit can push misses, dodges, blocks, parries or glancings off the attack table, so there is indeed a cap.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    True, crits don't move anything off the board, but the idea that if you only hit with 25% of your swings that more than 25% crit chance is wasted is what Blizz specifically spoke up to clarify. Crit chance has no soft cap based on the hit table.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    True, crits don't move anything off the board, but the idea that if you only hit with 25% of your swings that more than 25% crit chance is wasted is what Blizz specifically spoke up to clarify. Crit chance has no soft cap based on the hit table.
    I'm not entirely sure you understand. No, there isn't a 'soft cap'. There IS a hard cap. And if you can only successfully LAND 25% of your attacks, and you have a crit % of 25% or more, then all of your landed attacks will be crits. If you have 100% crit on your character sheet, you'd still see only 25% crit.
    Last edited by Corbusier; 11-10-2008 at 11:42 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    Tell you what, training dummies are gold, go take your gear and take off hit rating so your hit window matches your crit chance, then link a SS of you critting with 100% of your swings that landed.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,420
    I don't think you understand what Corb is saying.

    He's saying if your overall hit table is reduced such that it says:

    Miss: 20%
    Dodge: 20%
    Parry: 30%
    Crit: 30%

    Every hit that actually lands will be a crit.
    He's not saying if your hit = crit that your hits will always be crits, your hit table will always look like the posted above except you also have to factor in 25% glancing blow, and X% chance to just white hit. But white hits are the lowest end denominator so they get pushed out first as the opponents avoidance goes up.

    READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Tell you what, training dummies are gold, go take your gear and take off hit rating so your hit window matches your crit chance, then link a SS of you critting with 100% of your swings that landed.
    I never said the when your character sheet hit % = your character sheet crit % was your crit cap, I said your crit cannot exceed your chance to land a successful attack.

    However, I don't have to hit a training dummy to know this; I know this will happen because I understand how the attack table works.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Last I checked this "crit cap" was a fallacy that Blizz dispelled. They said that crit chance is applied to all attacks including ones that were miss/dodge/parry/block. That being said, it was a couple years old now, so that might no longer be true (it holds up though, since if you have no hit value and 40% crit chance you don't crit on every successful hit).
    I think you're referring to this:

    "The way WoW calculates crit rate is over ALL attacks. Crit rate is not based on hits only. In other words, if you have a 5% crit rate, that 5% chance includes misses."
    Though you seem to have misunderstood the implications. For an explanation of what this means, and the attack table, check the Attack table - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft page.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts