+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Taking Your Calls! (Our First Call-In Show!)

thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by pktan View Post
    Refering to the first question, in preparation for WOTLK raids encounter, is it appropriate to factor in the number of tanks, healer and dps needed for most encounters?

Can anyone advice whether how many tanks and healers are needed in 10/25 man instance?

Hopefully with this information, we can plan the raid composition in "advance".
    I would think it would be safe to say in 10 mans it will be a 2 tank situation similar to kara and ZA.

However I wasnt able to run 25 man naxx in beta so this is why I wanted to get some feedback. I have read posts and seen comments about running upwards of 4 and 5 tanks in a raid. I would assume that is factoring in dps classes that have the ability to OT trash and what not but not bosses.

I retired from original wow before naxx the first time and wasnt able to do 25 man verison in beta so I thought I would put this out there.

I gotta say, it was strange actually talking to the two voices I've been listening to on the podcasts for months.

Fun, tho, and thx for including both ?s
    http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/5930002RGVDu.png
    It's not about causing more dmg, it's about taking more...
    Shad˛w Raiders

In response to the warrior utility question, I've always considered Sundering armor to be one of the best mob debuffs available, and seeming as warriors are the only tank that provides this utility, using other tanks necessitates bringing a DPS warrior/rogue to provide that debuff.

i can't see the spec?!?!?!!?!

j/k

I think having all tanks at parity is needed at this point to give druids and pallies a fair chance. BUT in the long run all else being equal MT that is a druid or pally is better than a warrior MT simply because of their greater flexibility and superior buffs / debuffs.

By the next expansion warriors may get the same treatment as rogues - a 1-2% "edge" but for now giving pallies and druids anything less than provable equality would be a big mistake.

Im curious about the raid make up for 25 mans myself, mainly number of tanks/ healers needed. Not really knowing what to expect at this stage we have a number of people changing toons, seems Pally Tanks will be mighty popular in our guild and theres simply no way all will get a raid spot. Im currently thinking warrior, pally, druid and DK to make up the core of our tank team, but again im not sure if this is one too few/many. Duel spec will help, but ive no idea when that will come. We arent kicking people or anything, im more worried about how ill find raid spots for them if we OD on a certain class.

Also a point id like to bring up re: Pallys/Warriors discussion and how Pallys could use some better way to draw in casters ect as a warrior can. From my understanding Blizz wanted all tanks capable of being MTs, not that we'll essentially all bring the same thing.

Some classes will find it easier to do a task while others might have to work a little harder. While a warrior doesnt bring fanstastic buffs, battlerez ect we bring some utility with our gag order, TC and various stuns. Cutting further into this will surely bring back up the questions of 'why roll a warrior'. The only real reason atm is we are fun with our couple of extra toys which arent game breaking.

As RL, MT, officer (we dont have a GM), im not worried about warriors being the leetest or anything. Im far more concerned about how my tank team operates and welcome the XPac tank changes and will definitely be allowing my OTs tank bosses more often. The more they do, the more they learn, the less reliant on me the team is, thats a win for the guild.

Im pretty sure it was GC that said something like Hybrid DPS shouldnt be as high as that of a pure DPS. But if the hybrid player is slightly more skilled, or the fight mechanics allow, then it is and should be possible for the hybrid to out DPS them. That logic would seem fair with tanks also.

Now i mean no offense to my hybrid tanking friends, but if we dumped the arms tree and replaced it with that of a Holy priest and gave fury an awesome CC would we be so different? I guess my point here, in short, we lack some of the buffs and general flexibility our hybrid friends have. In return to keep Warriors fun and interesting we get a couple of non game breaking toys. Hopefully we can remain unique like that so theres reason to roll warrior.

Cider, would you come sit in a sauna with me and test the c/d theory?

Awesome podcast. I really like the call-in format. It kinda helps keep you fools on track :P.
    I. Am. Warrior.

NOTE: I have, since this was recorded, purchased Fallout. There is no need to fear.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    NOTE: I have, since this was recorded, purchased Fallout. There is no need to fear.
    PHEW ... I can rest easy ...
    Many people have enough to live by but nothing to live for - they have the means but no meaning <<<>>> Tenraiel - Warrior||Kross - Priest||Anethea - Hunter

Lol Lore, nice.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Could someone post the spec that Cider pasted to the shoutbox?
    I wasn't online for the live show but listened on my Ipod and when I got back got my computer it was off the page. I'd love to compare it to my ideas.

Great Podcast as always. On the Pally Blessing debate. Maybe they could somehow work some rage gain into Vigilance(conver the damage reduced on the marked character into rage on the marking warrior). In cases where I am tanking multiple trash mobs or a single tank boss encounter rage is not an issue. However, in situations where there are two warrior tanks fighting for agro rage has been an off and on problem.
    Last edited by Shivan; 11-10-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Sheep.

can you change the headline to "tanking your calls" instead?

Quote Originally Posted by whirlo View Post
    can you change the headline to "tanking your calls" instead?
    I will use that for the next call-in!

Just a protip about celsius. 50~ is normal for a sauna. 100+ is about normal for a saucepan.

You would probably lose some skin/sanity in there and would probably make the cooldowns of all your moves longer by about however long it takes before the owners find you in there + the length of time you are in hospital. Provided you are required to spirit res.

The saharah is 55-60~ degrees celsius at its hottest. (from what i last heard)
    www.soundcloud.com/auralise

Since no one has pointed this out yet, 105 degrees Fahrenheit is what is normal for a sauna or a hot tub.

105 degrees celsius is above boiling point, so unless you were for dinner, you wouldnt want to be in anything that temperature.
    I'm from Onyxia, where trade chat makes you wish you were in the barrens.

A few thoughts about Sanctuary...

Pre 3.0 my Holy Pally build had Blessing of Sanctuary on tap. For PVP it was an amazing buff, offering great mitigation against fast-hitting rogues, and for farming/running lowbies for PowerLeveling it was fantastic. I am experimenting with a variant of that build post 3.0, and feel it sacrifices very little.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/paladin/talents.html?tal=50350052020130053100500000140320052031000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000

A Holy Pally running this build for a Warrior Tank could well provide the best complementry tools any warrior would wish for. Sanctuary for rage/mitigation, Divine Guardian for AoE situations, and even the 6% +heal from Devotion. That's alot of gain for loss of a small amount of haste, extended judge range, and Beacon.

I am not saying this build is "the best possible" healing build. I *am* saying it is a viable option in some situations. It would solve the "OMG WE MUST HAVE PROT PALLY" mentality quite handily.

Honestly, I am pretty under-whelmed with Beacon of Light in all but the most perfectly "set up" for the effect. IE: R&J in Kara comes to mind as ideal for use of the Beacon. The other 95% of the time it just does not work out so well. In all seriousness, Sanctuary is useful 100% of the time you have a non-Pally tanking, and Beacon is useful in "certain" situations.

It's just something to consider.

+ Reply to Thread