+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Build wont Post

New Build wont Post

I recently built my own computer for the first time and i've been going through a ton of problems with it. I've replaced almost everything and now the issue is that if I turn it off, generally i have to clear the cmos to get it to post again. The specs are as following:

Mobo - MSI P45 Platinum
    CPU - Intel E8400 (with an asus silent square on it (was overheating))
    RAM - Corsair Dominator 8500 series (DDR 2)(4x2 gig sticks)
    GPU - Asus ATI 4870x2
    Hard Drive - WD 250 gig caviar

All wrapped in a NZXT Tempest Case. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64bit. So, any ideas?

You might try checking the MSI site for an updated BIOS. Nowadays, most BIOS flash utilities can be run from Windows, so you don't even need to dig up a floppy.

Are you getting any errors or anything when it boots? Or does it just sit there (you can hear the fans running, but no video or any activity)? If that happens, most times it's a power supply.

If all else fails, you'll have to start from the beginning - remove all extra hardware except the CPU and motherboard, and start adding parts back in until the problem returns.

Is the CPU cooler attached correctly?

Updated the Bios without any issues. When i hit power, the fans come on, lights come on, but I've got no beeps from the system speaker and no video. I've tried replacing each part individually as well, including the power supply, without any luck in fixing the problem. That is the part that really has me confused, having two of the same item with the same problem. And I had the store I purchased the CPU cooler from show me how to attach it because it is the most recent thing I've replaced.

The number of things this could be are pretty staggering, but the one red flag I see is that the CPU was overheating....it only takes like 5-10 seconds of insufficient cooling to cause catastrophic damage to a current generation CPU, and I believe CPUs are at 100% utilization during POST. I'd forgo trying to test on another CPU and simply take it to a repair shop near you and have them look at it.

Troubleshooting a new build can be real nightmare.

Do you have the standard CPU intel fan ? Did you apply thermal paste and how did you put it ? On Core 2 duo, you need to apply 1 line in the center in the same way that the arrow marker (on the side of the cpu)

I suppose you RAM are double side ? Try only 2 at the time (4 double side memory stick can put alot on the motherboard).

You system is running stable under Vista ?

I replaced the intel fan with an asus silent square EVO 92 mm using artic silver thermal compound. I did probably use a little much on it, though i dont feel that is the problem. I am running 4 sticks of 2 gigs of memory each, but it actually runs just fine, when it is running. I've never had it crash on me (with the exception of when it was overheating and shutting itself down due to baked thermal past). Currently, I've found that in order to get it running after i've left it off for anymore than a restart, I have to completely remove power, then remove the cmos battery and clear the cmos. Normally after that, it starts up fine, gives me a little thing asking if i want to go back to default bios settings, then loads right into windows and i run fine.

Hmmm... I wonder if the CMOS battery is wonky. It might be doing something in between boots. It's a long shot, but batteries are so cheap, it's worth it - try replacing the battery and see what happens. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps some kind of short on the case. If it still doesn't work, try taking all the parts out of the case and assembling them on a flat, non-conducive surface (kitchen table or something like that). If it works outside the case, then there could be a short somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread