+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best rotation for "initial" Threat (war)

Best rotation for "initial" Threat (war)

Hello everybody,

I've been playing wow since 2006 but I'm new to tanking (my main pg has always been a mage, since now). I read tons and tons of theorycrafing articles to learn the basics of war tanking, and it seems i'm doing good.

Now my question: we all know that dps love to start shooting fast, sometimes not giving the war enough time to build a strong "initial" aggro on mobs. So I was wondering which is the best rotation to build a strong aggro in the first seconds of the fight. I tried this:

Pull --> Bloodrage --> Shield Block (so revenge procs immediately) --> Revenge --> Shield Value Trinket --> Shield Slam

Then 2 Devastates and back to revenge

What do you think about it?
    TY (and sorry for my awful english)
    Hevi

To be honest.. it depends on the pull.. how many mobs are cc'd or if your just going in on a boss.
    Most of the time you cannot go wrong with TC as it gives you a solid aggro base.. and slows inc damage right off the bat. while it may not be the fasted tps it does seem to work well enough.

For typicall boss pulls.. i rage/zerk/2x devi/ unles S& B procs or Revenge Proc. then I hit shield block. followed by tc/demo/then normal threat rotation.

Granted.. Some folks might not see keeping demo and TC up on the boss important anymore.. others may.

I honestly believe in the end it will come down to the player. Course i cant seem to break 2200 tps wearing kara/heroic gear.

Elan

for a boss-fight:

to gain a high (the highest) amount of initial threat, you have to start the fight with the shield slam.

if you use SB first, you cut your rage-gain and that cuts your aggro-gain. so its contra-productive at the very start of a fight.
    using TC at the beginning is good in terms of "mitigation", but it kills your aggro-gain. It costs a lot of rage and gives you a real small amount of threat to single-targets.

to do the job as save as possible, start the fight with 2devastates, than SS, and start the normal rotation.
    you built up a little less threat than as you start with a SS, but for the same amount of rage you got 2skills instead of one, so a miss/dodge/parry doesn't let you lose aggro at the start.

for group-tanking I do it like this:
    charge -> walk 3-5yards back -> shockwave -> TC -> cleave -> starting normal rotation.
    in case of caster-NPCs: pull -> bloodrage -> move out LoS -> shockwave -> TC -> cleave -> normal rota.

PS: bloodrage at the very first. no doubt. pull -> bloodrage -> go on.

edit: revenge ALWAYS on CD.

+ Reply to Thread