+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gear Listing: EH, Avoidance, Block

Hey Timetheos,

Once again, excellent guide. I notice that you've got each slot divided up into four categories. I've read the "sources" description at the top of your guide but I'm looking for some insight as to what makes the third group. The fourth is obviously pre-WotLK and the first is tier pieces and so forth but I'm a little confused about the second and third groups.

Detrel, I might do that in a little while, but don't hold your breath. First I need to add WoWHead links.

GravityDK, Thanks! I'm surprised I forgot these; I'll add them soon.

Sounds good. If I can help in anyway (sharing the load) let me know (send me a private message) and I'll do what ever I can.

I don't really understand the sorting scheme, is it roughly top to bottom? Or would you recommend we put it in a spreadsheet and create our own rankings based on EH or threat or whatever?

Since you have dk-avoidance values in the data, would you consider creating the same for dk 2h tanking weapons? such as parry/hit/stam comparisons that they provide?

DK avoidance will be listed in the same way for 2Hs. If you'd rather DW (assuming tanking is practical that way) find two weapons and add their avoidance values together.

Sorting... within categories it's by source, then descending by ilvl, then alphabetically I think. They are not ranked by any of the values listed; that's what the coloring is for. Trying to rank each piece would be complicated, balancing each of the stats, as well as undoubtedly biased towards whatever I personally would prefer. The colors make this a ranked list (not by order though), and for each stat it's fairly easy to compare between pieces.

This The Jawbone should be added to 2h tank weapons for DK's. It drops in 25-man Naxx on Maexxna
    Last edited by Soloth; 12-17-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Just in case you haven't seen the recent information from the PTR, there's two new tanking two handers coming out. How do these fit into the listing?

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...eldefender.jpg

Ya im not sure if it didnt make the cut or if it was forgotten, but there is a trinket that is dropped in Heroic Violet Hold off of Lavanthor i would post the link to it but not sure how so here it is in text form lol.

Lavanthor's Talisman
    unique equipped
    trinket
    lvl 80
    Equip: Increases your sheild block rating by 74
    Use: Increases the block value of your sheild by 440 for 20 sec.

on another note, this has got to be the best thread ive ever seen for tank gear, Timetheos, you rock man

I havent even looked at the other fourms yet but so far this is my favorite site for raw info.

Regarding the Tempered Titansteel Helm: Does the information reflect the new changes? (Now has two free free sockets - blue and meta)

I haven't updated the Tempered Titansteel Helm yet. There are a few things I need to do; hopefully I'll get time tonight.

What are the baseline values for HP / armor that you are assuming before calculating EH values?

29k HP, 23k AC

Hi, I noticed you missed this item on your list
    Gauntlets of the Master

From 10 man Naxx

and also you have
    Ancient Aligned Girdle

listed as being from Naxx 10, when its from Heroic Azjol-Nerub

Thanks again for the great guide on gearing

Vrakahr, added and fixed. Thanks
    Mourning Nightfall since 2.4.2.

Changes to the Ranged section:

-DK avoidance stat was removed, as DKs can't use ranged weapons
    -I added coloring to the pre-WotLK ranged weapons, and recolored everything accordingly. This is not something I have done elsewhere. The only reason I have done this is to emphasize Barrel-Blade Longrifle - Item - World of Warcraft, which is currently the best ranged weapon in game for avoidance and for blocking, due to its sockets. The two weapons that were colored are BoE; one from Doomwalker and one from engineering.
    Mourning Nightfall since 2.4.2.

It was probably omitted because it was just a given that a Death Knight would want to equip Sigil of the Unfaltering Knight, but could I ask for that sigil to be added to the list somewhere, and calculated into the Death Knight's avoidance, please? This is such a fantastic compilation of gear, I was hoping to see the contribution of that sigil as well.

I'm just starting to get into specialized sets as the next step in my sort of personal progression as a tank, and this list is friggin priceless.

I'd love to see it in a format where it was all visible at once, for ease of printing/highlighting, etc (or a spreadsheet, as someone else mentioned). I know that's all a ton of work though, there's so much great stuff here.

Regardless, this will be a big factor in how I choose my pieces for each set.

Gemming for AvDK

I couldn't help but noticing that there was no explanation to how you gemmed the DK gear for AvDK. For both your Av/AvB gemming, you used Enduring Forest Emerald (+8 def, +12 sta) for blue slots.

I am not sure how other classes work, but I do know that DKs gain more overal avoidance with dodge than defense. Wouldn't it be better to gem the blue slots with Regal Twilight Opals (+8 dodge, +12 sta)?

Any chance of getting this updated for 3.1?

+ Reply to Thread