+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Improved Spell Reflect Threat Transfer [Bug?]

Improved Spell Reflect Threat Transfer [Bug?]

Did some testing today on Improved Spell Reflect, since there seemed to be some arguments arising in my guild concerning who gains the threat when you reflect a spell cast at a party member.

I know initially Ciderhelm had posted this a few months ago, when the talents were still in beta and everything was being actively tested:

"The most important mechanic, though, was Threat transfer. When Lore was in my party as a Draenei Deathknight female, who donors can attest is distinctly more attractive than his Blood Elf female, we noticed that reflected damage spells on him were causing me to gain aggro. "
    Unfortunately, my experiences lend way to the exact opposite theory - there no longer is any threat transfer to the reflecting warrior, and all threat is transferred to the party member. You can easily test this by speccing into the talent, borrowing a person, finding a caster-esque mob and seeing what happens.

In my case, I found that once the spell was reflected, the party member in question receives all threat by the spell. I myself noticed no damage numbers above said mob's head, nor did my party member, but a quick glance at omen and a few swings at the mob later, you can tell that the party member has gained all the threat.

Bug or intended? Curious why initially the talent seemed to give threat to the warrior and now no longer does.

afaik the talent never gave threat to the warrior. It was always assigned to the person who bounced the spell.

Despite that I find it to be a absolutely awesome spell. In BT last night I had 315 spells MISS me and had several comments from other raiders about "how did I just reflect a spell?" and my answer was simply "you pulled aggro and I saved your butt...from all the way back here".

later in that same thread, it was corrected by another beta tester and confirmed by Ciderhelm that the threat is infact given to the person who got reflected, not the tank =(

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

If that's the case, I can't help but see the talent as amazingly worthless for PvE tanking. The spell miss chance is nice, but what sort of heavy-spell damage situation is going to warrant it in the first place? Just another arena talent, I suppose.

definitely good for arena as I am a living testament to it, and I can see it being useful against shadowbolt volley type spells, but yeh, if you wanted it to return threat to you, not gonna happen, but if their mid cast, you can spell reflect and 20yd taunt the mob so that after he finishes casting the spell you have one less dead clothy? ;x

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Improved Spell Reflect has been working like this as long as I've been testing it, build 8xxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Sair View Post
    If that's the case, I can't help but see the talent as amazingly worthless for PvE tanking. The spell miss chance is nice, but what sort of heavy-spell damage situation is going to warrant it in the first place? Just another arena talent, I suppose.
    There is at least one PvE encounter in Wrath upon its release that can heavily take advantage of imp. spell reflect, so it's not worthless!

Edit: I mean an actual raid, not like one boss out of the dozen or so in Naxx
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

+ Reply to Thread