+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Naming your guild.

Naming your guild.

It really does seem like such a task.

Countless amounts of times I've seen guilds with names such as <Naga Stole Mah Platnum Grillz> or <I am a cupcake> which funnily enough, have a driving force behind it that wishes for it to be a raiding guild to some extent.

I honestly couldn't see it, a guild name is an identity and has to have some character and it's quite difficult these days to actually ponder on what you would name it. I'm at this position where I've rerolled on a random server, I'm starting fresh and some fellow peeps have followed me because they like how I am and my ambitions and the first thing that's coming to mind are guild names, seeking inspiration, proposing them to others.

How do yourselves as guild leaders or potentials, get inspiration for it? For me, I personally love using the thesaurus and grabbing random words from actions in everyday life.

Discuss!

P.S. - I've found that the name's <Game Plan> <Showtime> or <Strategy> sink in for me, yet I'm still brainstorming more and still finding it hard to pick that core identity that will stick for many, many months to come, even years.

as for core raiding ideas how about

Toon name here
    <Got Out of the Fire>

... The word came up in your post.

<Inspiration>

<Name>
    <A grave robber>
    Northrend Forever - Forever Northrend

Names mean a lot for a guild. Certain names appeal to a certain type of people. Guild with a name like, <Lich slapped> will probably appeal to more pvp based people, where as a guild with the name <Arthas or bust> is probably more likely to attract semi serious raiding types. I have noticed a trend that most good raiding guilds have a name of 1-2 words nd no more. <Midnight>, <Tempora Heroica>, <Nihilum>, <SK Gaming>, ect.

More dignified names are likely to deter silly players that are just playing for the easy amusements. Something in a dead language normally goes over well.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

While I do appreciate including Tempora in the list, Krash, it's not anywhere near the league of Premonition or Nihilum or SK Gaming.

There is definitely the ideal thought of attracting certain types of people to said guild with just the name alone, it's a powerful thing.

Also Cider is just being shy because his guild is edible and theirs is not and he knows that means so much more.

Except "tempora" is latin for time, where tempura is what you've so kindly shared a picture of :P

Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    people don't know how to keep it in their pants for a little bit before exploding all over my face.

Of course, but I still like to throw out the bad joke.

i like my guild for the reason that it sums up the attitudes of people on my server:

Sanelora
    <Super Serious Guild>

Then again i think Satrina was/is in a Sunwell guild called <Clowns on Fire>
    and there was a sunwell guild on Cho'gall (I dont know if this is correct) called <Death Monkey>

There is a certain attitude that people take from your guild name but dont get bogged up in it too much. If your members put across a good attitude and play well and you happen to have a strange name, it just makes you more memorable. That being said something like <Naga stole my bike> or <Murlock got my sox> is kind of... poor choice of wit to say the least. The name does reflect on how people will view your members. The same way as if i walked down the road and i wore a shirt that said "i think your stupid" people would either not take me seriously or pass me off as being an idiot but if i wore my shirt that has this on it:

People would chuckle and remember me more. It is all about finesse.

Another example, the 46th or something top guild in the world is called <Gigantor> and is named after an anime.

That is just my 2 cents.
    www.soundcloud.com/auralise

I shall definitely pocket your 2 cents. By the way, OT a little but that shirt is more than amazing, where did you buy it. TELL ME EVERYTHING.

haha, to be honest, i got that shirt when i was visiting the USA - It was from a K-Mart or Target in LA about 3 years ago.

I am an Aussie BTW

I inherited <Soldiers of Azeroth> - thankfully the founder didn't go with his first idea and call it <Dancing with Wolves>

You should think about the type of people you want and the types of names they'd be attracted to. Also if its a multi-part name, consider what it is it shortens to
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

I think I'm going to settle with <Joystick Heroes>

When I was younger, I loved that movie and it just suits me and some of the others like it too. How about you guys? It's mature yet has a sense of childishness behind it.

We named our guild <clique>. It fits us. We have played together for 3 or more years now and are incredibly wary of who we let in guild and with who we associate. This makes us look like clique-ish, elitist, snobs. In reality we are all very easy going, friendly (to a degree), and have an incredible atmoshpere.

Think of the kind of people you want to BE in your guild and go that route. <Naga stole my bike> is great and all, but that may not get you the type of applicants you're looking to invite. <clique> fits us because we stick to ourselves... find what fits you.

I find that <Glamorous Kitten Adventures> attracts the right kind of folk :P
    Tanks: We like it rough.

<Clowns on Fire> - that's us! I liked <Mt. Hyjal Snowboard Team> too.

Rule of thumb: If it sounds like it came from Tolkien, or even worse, Terry Brooks, discard immediately. Leave the heroic sounding stuff for novelists.

lol the tempura joke made me laugh so hard at work.

To be fair, SK Gaming is paid to use that name for... you guessed it, a sponsoring gaming corporation named SK Gaming. They pay people/teams/players to try to achieve great things so that their name becomes popular.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    <Mt. Hyjal Snowboard Team>
    I am stealing this. OH MY GOD I am stealing this.

Here's a few suggestions based on what basically everyone feels is acceptable for a raiding guild nowadays:

<Ominous Latin Name>
    <Something Clever>
    <Vaguely Spiritual Word>
    <Normal word in another language which makes it edgy because it's not in english>

Basically, anything that "that guy", and you know who he is, in your life would get tattooed on his left arm is acceptable to name a raiding guild.
    <Top Gun> - Boulderfist

+ Reply to Thread