+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: T7 helm vs. Engineering Goggles

I have to admit I'm a little torn. Currently there isn't all that much in engineering that appeals. I kept it at the start of Wrath because I had the SWP tanking helm pattern, and then quickly upgraded to the newer helm. It won't be long before I have to consider replacing it with Naxx/T7.

If I do, the only real strong point of the profession for me is the mote extractor. I'm not sure that's enough and begun wondering if JC will be a far better personal profession with better chances of making money on the side.

It's a real shame. I leveled Engineering back when it was fun and I wish it would return to that fun.
    There is no sig.

T 7.5 Valorous > ( T7 Herosim = Engy)

As stated the engy helm is awesome from 72 up until you get one of the naxx helms and the Valorous is a clear upgrade imo. Hit is always needed and as stated there is expertise on almost every other piece of gear including the T 7 and T 7.5 set pieces.

I'm Blacksmithing and Engineering, I could drop engy for mining to get the extra 500 health but it won't really make any difference other than making blacksmithing cheaper and I enjoy the versatility it gives me. The shield is awesome for a tank just hitting 80 plus the sockets on bracer/gloves make bs one of the top tank professions.

i'm BS / Miner an it seems Blizzard thought about BOE items for 1 proff then said 'cant be bothered' so left all other proffs with the BOP items that 1 could make them gold an 2 are better suited to tanks , i have a shammie engineer an tbh he aint gonna need the helm so why not allow them to be sold or at worst BTA (bind to account)

Oh yeah, I know I was really pissed off when I found out I wasn't going to have to wait an ungodly amount of time for something to randomly drop off a boss that was just going to get upgraded as soon as you hit new content. Honestly I don't see why you wouldn't be able to create all this epic stuff. The dudes carrying the stuff since it's dropping, someone had to have made it. I'd say having a title of GRAND MASTER would kinda give you reason to make some pretty kick ass stuff. Besides, I probably put more time into my profession and that gear than I did to the boss who dropped an equal level item. I know I won't be the first to bitch that I don't have to rely on the RNG just to get some nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TomHuxley View Post
    Yeah, but that's retarded. No one enjoys professions for the sake of interrupting questing/instance runs to go gather stuff and then go through generic animations while things appear in your bags. The reasons we level professions at all is to get gear that makes us better (and BoP gear is invariably the best) and/or to make us money.

Worse, it seems to mostly be just blacksmithing and tailoring where this "new philosophy" is actually getting implimented. JCers are getting not only BoP gems that are superior, but they and alchemists are getting BoP trinkets (and I think engineers are getting good stams trinkets again too, no?). The sockets are nice, to be sure, but not quite like having a best in class piece to fill a few slots while gearing.
    As sad as it is I rather enjoy engineering and the Goggles have been a good helm thus far and IMHO they look pretty neat. However I also heard the "His goggles are just as good as that helm make him pass" argument too. I would hope that the best Item in the slot would take a bit more effort though than simply investing ungodly amounts of time into engineering (or atleast not be a trainer schematic)
    Consider the company you're in.....wait....think....Now Post

t5 was better than the first engineering helm.
    But when we killed that bitchnagaspitter i left tokens to other raiders, since t5 wasnt that much of an upgrade as was for them.
    Raidwise, i will do the same thing this time: leave tokens to other non engineering people.
    Clearly, valorous is better. It's 213 itemlvl vs 200. More armor, more stam..but i'd prefer to see my shaman going around in <ulduar\wherever it will be> with a good helm rather than a blue\heroic one.

And expertise > hit.

edit: nowadays i would never level engineering 0 - 440 only for the helm, as i did in tbc, since getting t7 is not even comparable to how devastating getting t5 one year and a half ago was.

If you are looking for health, JC would be a much better route than mining. 3 41 stamina gems = 123 stamina = 1230 hp, not including talented multipliers.

You also have to remember, the engineering helm was not better than the end game helms in bc either, at least not until the SWP upgrade. Don't drop engineering now just to pick it back up later when the new patterns come out in future content patches.

I distinctly remember that the Engineering goggles being up to par with t5 helm, and at least for warriors, better than t6.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Yes, but not better than Faceplate of the Impenetrable. T6 helm was full of fail.

sooo, an engineering helm, lasted you until basically the best helm in the game... until 2.4 was released and then it was the 3rd best isn't that my point?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

The engineering helm is weird, required 400 in skill and level 72 to use, but you need 440 skill to make it and its bound ? What the point ?
    Last edited by Cedix; 12-15-2008 at 08:32 AM.

lvl 72

You can reach 450 engineering at lvl 70.

I believe the epic lvl 70 goggles were introduced later in the expansion, and the only ones that were available for a long time was really weak.

I guess engineering gets some players on a good head start while BS boosts them throughout, even after they have outgrew most of eng gears.

Then theres always the 10k mechano-hog. T.T

Proud BS/Eng 450/450 (and piss broke!)
    lol

I am rolling the RNG for an upgrade in Engineering soon!

Anyone on PTR have a comparison of the Helm vs Goggles now? Just wondering if Engineering got burried and nailed shut with those proposed changes to the BS helm

This isn't directly related to the engineering helm but am I the only one who likes to keep a couple Global Thermal Sapper Charges on hand and easy to access for "oh shit" cases where something just goes a little screwy in an AoE situation? It's easily 2k damage on all mobs around you.

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    Anyone on PTR have a comparison of the Helm vs Goggles now? Just wondering if Engineering got burried and nailed shut with those proposed changes to the BS helm
    Prolly I'll use BS Helm for bosses (The Staminator!) and Engy for Trash =/

Broke 450 BS/Eng here too o/
    [Tank Addict]

/bye engi (just dropped it today for JC :P)

i am also hesitating to make the engi helm now (only 420 in skill) i have all the stuff for the BS one (thanks mining).

but the engi helm does have a good chunk of expertise, which is good. Hard choice, i don't feel like wasting all this money on leveling up those 20 more points

I'm hoping they boost something on the engineering helm. I know with my luck i'd drop Engineering and voila in they come out with a sweet new plan or they buff existing helm. Already have BS so i may keep both, just didn't want to fork over the money/mats with already making my goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    I'm hoping they boost something on the engineering helm. I know with my luck i'd drop Engineering and voila in they come out with a sweet new plan or they buff existing helm. Already have BS so i may keep both, just didn't want to fork over the money/mats with already making my goggles.
    Silence! I kill you!
    I dropped eng for JC few days ago...
    They're adding a meta to Tempered Titansteel (+ 1 blue socket) :P

+ Reply to Thread