+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T7 helm vs. Engineering Goggles

T7 helm vs. Engineering Goggles

Armored Titanium Goggles - Item - World of Warcraft

Vs.

Valorous Dreadnaught Greathelm - Item - World of Warcraft

From the looks of it T7 is a pretty solid upgrade over the goggles. Anyone have any comments? I'm hoping I don't have to wear goggles while tanking Arthas like I wore goggles while tanking Illidan in TBC. Honestly I'm pretty sick of losing out on sweet looking Tier pieces cause of "his goggles are better make him pass" type stuff.
    (yes I know, i'm superficial sometimes)
    Tanks: We like it rough.

The goggles are pretty good considered the level requirement is only 72 where as the helm is lvl 80.

I'd say the T7 is pretty obviously the better choice, but not by such huge margin as one might imagine. Slight increase in strength and stamine and nice amount of block value. After that it's just hit versus expertise which probably depends on what you need more at the time.

Looking over a lot of the gear at 80 though, it seems like everything is loaded with expertise but not so much with hit which makes me lean towards the t7.

As Hurmeli said though, the engineering helm will be solid right from 72 if you can actually get the mats to craft it as well as being the right engineering level

I was in the same position as you Krash, I hated being stuck in goggles because they were better than most of the stuff I had access too. But by that same token, they were great when everybody else was in terribad looking blues ("i am the juggernaut!" helm).

Is that for the 10 man or the 25 man version? Or is there a 25 man Naxx?

Regardless, I'm with you on that. It always seemed wrong to me that something I could craft without raiding was better than most of what I could get from raiding. I'd like to see more epic engineering recipes drop in raids though, and not in just t9 content. I mean, how many Hard Khorium Goggles - Item - World of Warcraft are really floating around out there?

Valorous is 25 man,

Heroes' Dreadnaught Greathelm - Item - World of Warcraft is the 10 man version. They're still more or less on-par.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
    Valorous is 25 man,

Heroes' Dreadnaught Greathelm - Item - World of Warcraft is the 10 man version. They're still more or less on-par.
    Hrmm... the goggles actually give quite a bit more defense than the 10 man helm though. Again, the only difference is hit vs expertise. So, once again I'm a bit disappointed that my tier set is not an obvious upgrade over a trainer-learned craftable item. At least this time it's not an obvious downgrade.

I'm glad trainer learned stuff doesn't suck. The amount of work/money and time to get the lvl needed to craft the items is a lot of work in and of itself. Shouldn't mean only those with 25 man raids can see good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    I'm glad trainer learned stuff doesn't suck. The amount of work/money and time to get the lvl needed to craft the items is a lot of work in and of itself. Shouldn't mean only those with 25 man raids can see good gear.
    It's nice that they are a top quality item. I just don't want to be wearing them my entire tanking career again (granted, I only tank 10 mans so my only option for replacement was the Tuskguard which I don't have). It looks to me like they should be replaced in t8 content, which makes sense.

Edit: I just realized you play on the same realm as I do. Wrong faction though.
    Last edited by tobarstep; 11-04-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Naw i'm ok with them being replaced by T7. The goggles are great for heroics and probably all of naxx anyhow. They are fabulous for non raiding and begining raiding tanks alike.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    Agreed. I'm only an engineer still because of the OPness of the goggles in TBC. It's a shame that other crafting professions such have stuff that is useful even once u get into raids and get higher quality items (gems for JC, sockets for BS).

Thane's Greathelm from 4H 10 Naxx is going to be your best if you're looking at Timetheos's post, after comparing all the stats from the hats on that page it's going to end up being the best one period.

So what happened to not letting professions have awesome BoP gear. They took it away from Blacksmiths but continue to give it to engineers?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

2 extra sockets = better then an equivalent ilvl helm. I will probably drop engineering because of it not having the same ~+500 health as every other profession gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    So what happened to not letting professions have awesome BoP gear. They took it away from Blacksmiths but continue to give it to engineers?
    what are ya talking about? BS has some nice shields & gear. No fantastic helm, but it didn't have a fantastic helm in BC either.

BTW, the BS Gem bonuses are the bomb.

Proud BS/Eng 450/450 (and piss broke!)

but the shields and gear are BoE. you don't have to be a blacksmith to have them, you can have someone else make it for you. These Eng goggles are BoP, much like the old Bulwark of Ancient Kings, or Stormherald was BoP. That's what I'm talking about. Yes I know Titansteel helm,boots,shield are awesome, but I don't have to be a BS to get them.

The problem is, engi helm is replacable, two free sockets is not.

/agreed

During TBC a lot of people switched profession to get access to crafted BoP items that were perceived as best in slot. Blizzard made a post during the beta explaining that they wanted to avoid creating the same situation this time around and instead let people choose or keep what professions they enjoy rather than what profession has the best item for their particular role or spec.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    During TBC a lot of people switched profession to get access to crafted BoP items that were perceived as best in slot. Blizzard made a post during the beta explaining that they wanted to avoid creating the same situation this time around and instead let people choose or keep what professions they enjoy rather than what profession has the best item for their particular role or spec.
    Yeah, but that's retarded. No one enjoys professions for the sake of interrupting questing/instance runs to go gather stuff and then go through generic animations while things appear in your bags. The reasons we level professions at all is to get gear that makes us better (and BoP gear is invariably the best) and/or to make us money.

Worse, it seems to mostly be just blacksmithing and tailoring where this "new philosophy" is actually getting implimented. JCers are getting not only BoP gems that are superior, but they and alchemists are getting BoP trinkets (and I think engineers are getting good stams trinkets again too, no?). The sockets are nice, to be sure, but not quite like having a best in class piece to fill a few slots while gearing.

Yeah I hear you Tom - I mean I like the intent of the idea, that you should haven't to change your professions to get the best item in the game for that slot, and this is certainly better for RP'ers who may have their character going along a partic profession path for an IC reason. But what it leads to is that everyone simply chooses the professions that make the most money, and those who have levelled a non profitable profession are screwed.

+ Reply to Thread