+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaman Spamage? Begining of a resto 3.0 + guide

Shaman Spamage? Begining of a resto 3.0 + guide

During my spare time I have been working on a restoration guide for shamans. This is the start and will have updates to come.

Shaman Healing

Terminology

Mp5= Mana regenerated in 5 seconds
    Pvp= Player versus player
    PVE= Player versus environment

Contents

Introduction
    I am going to start this introduction out with apologizing to anyone I have offended by writing this guide. The intent and purpose of this is to help others in the aspects of shaman healing for 5man, 10man and 25man raiding environments. The main purpose of this guide is to cover the basic ideas and concepts of what and how the shaman heals. I am not telling you how to play or what exactly to do, this is your choice and I hope to make the game better for you. I am open to comments and will try to update this guide in good time of talent and game changes for what is best to the class. Enjoy.

Spec
    Level70: There are several different specs for shamans to choose from now at level 70 given the talents and different level of gearing that is out there. I will link a general talent build then express what can be done with each talents left. Each talent has its pros and cons from gear and what raiding or instance environment you are in.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

This is the base build that I start out with as a restoration shaman no matter what gear or raid you are in. The base of these talents cover skills needed to make your life easy.

This is the following list of talents you have to choose from after the base build is selected.

Restoration:

Blessing of the eternals
    Blessing of the Eternals - Spell - World of Warcraft
    This talent was chosen for 2 reasons, first of all the critical effect to healing spells promotes larger heals, and mana regeneration for the shaman class. Secondly earth living weapon is a great spell and having it proc onto a target when in a critical time just adds to the chances of survival.

Ancestral awakening
    Ancestral Awakening - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Straight up this talent has made riptide, healing wave, and lesser healing wave a viable form of raid healing. This allows to use these spells as if we are raid healing for more mana regeneration, more direct heals, and just a smart heal for hitting a person in danger when chain heal isnít a viable option in fights with other raid members spread out too much or where healing 3 people isnít needed versus single target raid member damage.

Tidal Waves
    Tidal Waves - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Increase cast speed and healing of healing wave and lesser healing wave after a chain heal. What does this mean for me, well after I cast chain heal which is my number 1 spell I can get a faster and bigger single target heal onto a tank or someone who took a single big hit. This presents a more mana efficient heal situation for us for when a chain heal wonít cut it.

Rip Tide
    Riptide - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Powerful, words cannot describe the usefulness and power of this spell to all aspects of the game. A spell you instantly cast, get an instant heal with a hot to boot that ticks for a fair amount. This is great for us as it allows a hot to raid heal, a use to a target we are going to chain heal in a cast or two, or even as a heal for while running. Just so flexible it takes your breath away.

Earth Shield
    Earth Shield - Spell - World of Warcraft
    This shield when used as improved or unimproved acts as a powerful tool in many situations. Earth shield can heal a tank for all those nasty little tick damages, to the most useful in my view of a pushback prevention for warlock fire or shadow tanks. Also this has uses while farming or pvping to save healing time. *Improved earth shield isnít a needed tool for this but is wanted at level 80 to max it out*

Healing Way
    Healing Way - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Straight cut out this is a spell that has before and now gives shamans in smaller groups a chance to heal a main tank better. And even pick up the ball when a main tank healer dies during a raid.

Focused Mind
    Focused Mind - Spell - World of Warcraft
    This spell gives us that extra push during pvp, also during those nasty fights where you just get told to shut up by the boss. This set of talents is very situational and should only be taken if needed only for that set of fights. Otherwise itís in your best interest to get an item to do this as 3 talent points cannot be better then a neck piece for the same purpose.

Ancestral Healing
    Ancestral Healing - Spell - World of Warcraft
    This talent is very powerful on tanks given the new direction of shaman healing. I personally donít run this talent right now but at level 80 it will be a must to keep the tanks in tip top damage reduction. Do keep in mind that if you have other classes giving a similar buff it might not be needed. Check with your raid to work together.

ENHANCEMENT

Thundering Strikes
    Thundering Strikes - Spell - World of Warcraft
    5% critical chance increased. Thatís more mana, more armor on the tanks and bigger heals. It allows us to fill some points in the enhancement tree to gain access to better talents and just helps in the long run.

Elemental Weapons
    Elemental Weapons - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Given the usefulness of keeping earth living weapon as a buff on ourselves why not improve it, it heals for a decent hot and gives us a lot of plus healing to improve overall this is a decent 3 point talent worth investing in at level 80. The talents at level 70 do not make it viable at the current time.

Improved Shields
    Improved Shields - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Water shield is our main self buff for mana regeneration and earth shield is a damage activated buff. So 15% more mana regeneration on top of glyphs and earth shield with its talents gets up to a big 25% boost, thatís a big shield. Worth looking at level 80, 3/3 suggested and 2/5 on thundering depending on gear needs for crit.

Suggested level 80 builds as of current knowledge.

Level 70 is suggested to my build above but can change depending on your needs in the raid for healing. As can any of these builds.

Gear/gemming:
    In this section ill talk about the different stats you should be looking for in gear, I will not tell you what pieces are the best and what is the worst, that is simply put up to you and what your able to get. There will be a million loot lists out there that constantly change. How ever I will post a t7 zone dream list for people to aim for and try to make a decent pre naxx gear list in the future to help raiders.

Spell Damage: This is our bulk stat to improve our spells, Aim to try and keep this stat on all pieces within a reasonable level. At level 70 A decent amounts to aim for without buffs is around the 1000 mark. The reason this is lower then other classes is it lets us hit an equilibrium point where our spells heal people close to full versus needing to get more people.

Spell Critical: This is the bread and butter to shamans now. This allows us to have high mana regeneration, larger heals, talents going off to heal more then our current target. Armor is increased also on critical targets thus allowing it to be useful on tanks. This stat should be used in conjunction with Mp5 to gain mana regeneration level. Beyond that this stat should eventually take over Mp5 as your haste increases.

Mp5: This was and still is the basic mana regeneration for a shaman in combat. This always get us mana casting or not. This stat is a great stat to have on our gear in slots when ever possible but is to be used with critical to gain a balance. Never go heavy critical or heavy Mp5 as it will lead you to being out of mana or other problem situations.

Haste: This stat is the last stat to be stacked. Get this stat as it comes on gear. Do not stack this stat in to your gear with gems or enchants until you have gotten to a level of play where your regeneration from sources is enough you donít have mana issues. This allows us to heal faster plain put. It reduces your cool down on any spell cast also known as the GCD, and makes your cast time faster. Remember a Heal can only hit so many targets no matter how big it gets, but you cast it fast enough you hit more.

Intellect: This is a basic stat, itís on all gear that we have. It defines the sizes of our mana pool and increases our spell plus healing and critical. Not suggested at all for gemming currently unless boss fights are running fast enough a bigger mana pool out weighs the need for regeneration.

Stamina: This is just a nice good old survival stat. Donít under rate this stat as its needed to live in fights where damage is unpreventable. It adds that extra tick on that dot, or that extra hit before you heal yourself after keeping the tank up. Its natural to most gear thatís decent so donít worry. But donít go out right stacking this stat unless youíre just getting 1 or 2 shoot from raid damage.
    *COMING SOON*
    Naxx Dream list

Pre Naxx gear to get list *WOTLK GEAR*

Raid healing

Now down to the nuts and bolts of how shamans make there worth in any raid besides those forests they plant. In this section ill go over each heal and its use and talk about the ďcast rotationĒ that appears to be merging from talents for healing.

Chain Heal: This spell is the number one spell, bottom line. There are very few exceptions to this for PVE. You have a base of 2.5 seconds casting on this spell. It heals a primary target then jumps to 2 other targets in a series. Each jump reduces its amount healed by 30%. Talents for this spell are vital to any shaman. Itís highly suggested this spell is used for raid healing in the application of tight grouped areas such as melee, and/or hitting tanks that must stack to damage split or other situations where members of the raid are in very high proximity to each other. When in doubt bind all keys to this spell and roll your face.

Rip Tide: This is our most flexible skill for healing. As mentioned above in the talent section of this guide. This spell is to be used at liberal will to raid members taking predictable damage that will need it followed by a chain heal. Or is to be used on tanks at liberal will because an extra hot or 2 never hurt a tank did it? This should be your number 2 used spell in the raid.

Healing wave: This is our base spell from level 1, its here now lets use it. This spell is a large single target application. Best used on a single target when tank healing as needed or off tank healing. In raid healing applications use this after a chain heal to get a target at low to medium health. The reasoning for using this after a chain heals versus another chain heal is that of two reasons, from talents of tidal waves this spell is now 20% faster and 20% larger from your healing bonus. Also with ancestral healing and we can multiple target heal with a 40 yard range of our target. This allows us to hit the lowest raid member needing health at the time giving a large advantage over picking it out ourselves. The reasoning for us to use this critical to our advantage is that we are now naturally gearing and gemming towards this stat for several purposes, this being one of them.

Lesser healing wave: This spell is fast, its not great on mana by any means but it works as a last minute oh shit spam for a first cast onto a target to keep them up in a live or die make or break situation. This spell has other uses in pvp with glyphs but is not suggested in pve compared to that of using healing wave or a riptide.

Wow nice, I was just thinking of doing this. Looks good.

If your going to focus on changes rather than a how-to-heal for newbs guide, I suggest mentioning downranking, because it affects us more than any other healer. I remember there was a point at which i stopped using CH rank 5. It was also the point at which I bound every key to CH rank 4 and never cast another spell.

That option no longer exists, so learning the maxrank spells will be a lot more important.

Its a fine mix of both. I still got spells and links to add and then some.

I have found that increasing crit for healing to be useful. But at the moment chainheal is about 80 percent my healing done. And because chain heal crits do not give mana back it does not effect my mana efficency as much i would like it to.

Please please please throw ancestral knowledge out of the base build and make it an optional choice. A lot of restoration shamans think they can't go without ancestral knowledge but that's plain wrong. It has it's uses but was way overrated in BC and I still have to see how it'll work out in the future.

According to the elitistjerk.com WotLK thread for resto shamans, Intellect by far outweight MP5 when it comes to gemming. That is unless a fight is more that 5min without any kind of regeneration periodes, and you tend to run OOM. On top of that you gain more SP and crit.

Quote Originally Posted by hvidgaard View Post
    According to the elitistjerk.com WotLK thread for resto shamans, Intellect by far outweight MP5 when it comes to gemming. That is unless a fight is more that 5min without any kind of regeneration periodes, and you tend to run OOM. On top of that you gain more SP and crit.
    Why I made my comment is that in burning crusade too many restoshamans thought Ancestral Knowledge was mandatory. I watched shamans decked in t5 or t6 gear having a 0/5/56 build.

You know what these 5 points did? They gave 4 mp5 in a 5 minute fight, much less in longer fights. What it also did was that those 5 points prevented a lot of restoshamans from going down the elemental tree and picking up elemental warding (-10% elemental damage). A lot of fights in SSC/MH/BT/SWP were about survival and a lot of fights have raidwide damage. Elemental Warding was a very very strong choice here, but still a lot of shamans (who didn't go oom btw) going with that 0/5/56 build.

Don't get me wrong. It can be a nice talent, but having it in a base build, like a mandatory talent is a bridge too far. It's 5 talentpoints you're spending here. I'll see if I can get some data on it and quantify what these 10% extra intellect actually gives.

On the one hand, having a 10% increase in intellect as manadatory and then further on advising against getting more intellect as a main stat looks a bit counterintuitive to me.

The EJ Shaman thread and now the wiki was what I pointed everyone to pre WotLK - it was about 4 pages long and covered every aspect that a beginning shaman needed to know. I'm hoping they update it to include the benefits of gearing for Crit vs Int, recomended ranks of talents etc. Currently it has not been fully updated to include wotlk

Shaman: Restoration - Elitist Jerks

I'm not talking about AK, but gem choices. I would only take AK if there was talents in Enhancement tree that I want. But if the choise is between a MP5 gem and an Intellect gem, the Int gem win hands down UNLESS you have more than 5 min without any kind of regeneration periode. It wasn't a reply to you orcstar, but a general note to the OP since I got the impression that he states MP5 still is the stat for regen, and that simply isn't true with Mana Tide and Replenishment, that becomes better the more mana you have.

and the thread I'm refering to is the WotLK one, not the old pre3.0 patch linked in the post above me.

On a personal note, I've tried to heal in more or less full Elemental gear with lots of crit. And while it does give a significant amount of mana back, when you're MT healing, you rarely have a GCD to spare for Water Shield in a tight situation (and CH still is the most used spell for 2 or more targets, and that doesn't benefit from Imp WS).

My recommendation for must-have talents would be:
    Imp HW
    Tidal Focus
    Tidal Force
    Tidal Mastery
    Resto Totems
    Nature's Swiftness
    Purification
    Cleanse Spirit
    Mana Tide Totem
    Nature's Blessing
    Imp. Chain Heal
    Earth Shield
    Imp Earth Shield
    Tidal Waves
    Riptide

There is also a significant amount of other good talents, but it really depends if you're single target, or multi target healing.

/edit forgot Tidal Waves
    Last edited by hvidgaard; 10-29-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Intellect is more valuable for a much longer period than 5 minutes.

Where gems are concerned, 10 intellect and 4mp5 are equivalent in budget points spent.
    Over the course of a 5 minute fight, 4mp5 will give you 240 mana.

10 intellect will give you 180 mana initially.

But, if you have someone giving you Replenishment, you will regen mana based on your intellect.

(.0025)*(300)*(180) = 135 mana gained from Replenishment

Then there is Mana Tide.

(.24)*(180)= 43.2 mana gained from Mana Tide

So over 5 minutes, assuming Replenishment uptime is 100%, 10 intellect nets you just a little less than 360 mana.

The break even point where mp5 will start to out scale intellect will be around 15 minutes, so don't gem for mp5 until then. Again, that's assuming Replenishment is up all the time, which isn't too unreasonable.

You're right Esillymidget, the break even is around 15min, and even in BC there is only a few fights that goes on for that long (Blizzard stated that they intent to make WotLK fights shorter than in BC if my memory serves).

And that number is without Kings, AK and glyphed MT totem, which all make Int better for regeneration of mana.

I try to collect information about resto shaman healing over at my new blog at Shields Up! - A Restoration Shaman Blog. Feel free to drop in.

+ Reply to Thread