+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do with T6 tank shoulders now?

What to do with T6 tank shoulders now?

As our guild's MT, I picked up the Onslaught Shoulderguards from Mother last night on one of our first kills. I'm embarrassed to say though, that I hadn't really looked at them very carefully since 3.0 and I'm finding myself wondering...

Um... what do I actually DO with them?

Compared to my T5 shoulders, they have a little more armor, strength, stamina, and some block rating. On the other hand, they have less defense and zero block value.

Post 3.0, how are most people using them now? Are they saving them until they have 4 pieces of T6? Are they still gemming them for stam or avoidance? Help!
    Last edited by Belak; 10-31-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: can't remember how to link items! gah!

You should use the Onslaught Shoulderguards hands down. The more armor, stamina and, yes, even the block rating, is much better than 30 Shield Block Value (after you take strength into account). The loss in Defense is minimal, as well. At this point, you can pretty much destroy your T5 shoulders. Not to mention, the Onslaught Shoulderguards just look badass.
    Loyalty above all, except Honor.

it looks so much cooler. closes the deal for me

but seriously the amount of armor usually indicates which tank item is better, especially if it's by a lot like >200

No argument here that they look hella cool.

I guess I just don't see how less than 150 points of armor gain make up for that big a loss in block value, given the new importance of the stat. Is the block rating gain that much compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by Belak View Post
    I guess I just don't see how less than 150 points of armor gain make up for that big a loss in block value, given the new importance of the stat. Is the block rating gain that much compensation?
    9 Sta
    4 Str
    118 Armor
    17 Block

vs

32 Block Value
    4 Defense

Save the T5 shoulders for when you want a set that stacks a ton of Block Value, but for overall survival the T6 shoulders are still superior.

Hmm. Fair enough. Thanks for the input everyone!

I definitely planned on keeping the T5 for the block set.

Would you gem them now with the "standard" strength in red and defense in yellow, or straight up stam?

3.0 has us moving much faster than I expected, or I would have figured all this out well ahead of time. Doh.

I was looking at the same question before bidding on them. I'm sure some classes would benefit more than tanks from the shoulders. I have the naj'entus shoulders for survival and the T5 for threat - so I figure I'm a lower priority than the shaman & hunters.

Sure would like that 4 piece set bonus though

As a matter of fact, I just picked these up last night and was wondering the same thing.
    However, I slapped two +15 stam gems in there and now use them for my boss tanking set (was a direct upgrade from T5).
    I never had any desire for the supremus shoulders, as these can get more effective stam, and block rating isn't that bad anymore, since the change to shield block/crushability.

My 2 cents

Also dont forget that the shoulders are a staple part of the T6 4-set unless you get deep sunwell. That 10% more shield slam damage makes a difference when you start stacking your gear for it. In the beta I tried using every single block value piece that i could and i had a little over 1000 base BV. When i switched to my T6 i was just BARELY below that but my shield slam hits were definitely higher.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

What should you do with T6 shoulders?

give them to me, of course.

Eh, I have T5 and I'm happy with them. Shoulders aren't the slot I need to upgrade most (head and weapon )
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Lol I really wanted at least 1 piece of the tier 6 set just to say I had it before the xpac, and of course the only piece I have had an even remote chance of getting is the shoulders, which would be the only piece which is a bloody DOWNGRADE from what I am using (Blood Stained Pauldrons).

Heh...yeah, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I've gotten to where I inadvertantly collect chest pieces. I went from swapping Panzarthar and BAK to Stocism to picking up T5 off Kael for no apparent reason to passing on the ZulJin chest because I didn't feel like regemming yet another item. I REALLY need a new hat. T4 ain't cutting it.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Heh...yeah, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I've gotten to where I inadvertantly collect chest pieces. I went from swapping Panzarthar and BAK to Stocism to picking up T5 off Kael for no apparent reason to passing on the ZulJin chest because I didn't feel like regemming yet another item. I REALLY need a new hat. T4 ain't cutting it.
    I hear ya...

until recently i was relying on the t4 helm and gloves for the 2 set bonus bladeturning...

i then landed the ZA helm from malacrass Battleworn Tuskguard - Item - World of Warcraft and gemmed it for str, hit and the cenarion helm enchant for hit and ap.... big big difference in dps/threat and some added bonus to base stats over t4.

Last night the Praetorian's Legguards - Item - World of Warcraft legs dropped and i passed on them to our OT in favour of my good old unwavering Unwavering Legguards - Item - World of Warcraft ...

im still trying to figure out how i should be gearing in prep for wotlk and the remainder of BT/hyjal and SWP...

IMO i still think SBV is gold and hit/expertise is more valuable than stam stacking...

T4 still has a lot of merits over higher level gear.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

+ Reply to Thread