+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How geared is geared these days?

How geared is geared these days?

I often see people asking for geared players for a quick Kara badge run. I sent one a message today asking how geared, geared is these days. His response....Geared.

So could someone enlighten me. Am I "Geared" enough for a Kara Geared run? Where is the line now?

Cheers,

Shagh

I remember seeing 12k hp, 12k armor figures somewhere, but it really depends on group you're going with. After 3.0 I've noticed that there's really no CC used even in pugs, which means you're expected to AoE tanks most trash including Moroes and his adds. That's fine if you're T5+ geared tank but I would expect some trouble with lesser gear.

That being said, I tried to get into Kara on priest alt and +900 spell power wasn't good enough for raid leader. (That's roughly +1600 healing pre-3.0)
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Kara is a joke post patch Geared for it would be like 12armor 10 hp unbuffed for OT and 14 and 12 MT I solo tanked to curator at 15600armor and 12664hp un buffed ....no cc no kill order just aoe tanked everything just had to watch for the occasional aggro loss from a mage here and there.

+900sp on your priest woulda worked as main healer/ I wonder what the leader was thinking?

And the best part of the run was I was 4th in dps meter! Me in my felsteel lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As a fellow father of 2 ...

I pugged Kara last night as an OT, roughly 12.5K unbuffed both health and armor, and received no complaints.

I can confirm the non-use of CC, and minimal kill order charming. Basically I:

- kept the shouts up
    - TC and Shockwave on cooldown
    - employed 3.0 priority rotations
    - chased down the odd mob peel

Took 2 hours for a full clear as a 9 man group. Across the raid there were 7 deaths, mostly following Netherspite's Enfeeble. The MT was well-geared (BT/MH), as was one of the healers.

Moo

Kara is nerfd, but its no joke. Especially for the new pugs just going at it for the first time and learning the fights new. HOWEVER with the new talents and the removal of crushing blows the "Geared" Comment is meaningless since kara allows a lot more PLAY STYLE vs memorized functions, gear and macros. If you have a good healer a fast dps bunch then you should be abl to pull those 5 man mobs, drop your aoe, hold aggro and dps away and not flinch. I do it as off tank while our main tank/raid leader is markingt he next group or explaining the next fight.

We even 5 man trash for rep for some people.. same thing, aoe stun, tc, stab stab stab boom they're dead

Karazhan is quiet easy now days, I'm the main tank for a small guild and we don't even use an off tank anymore in there, just me and 1 healer (usually a pally, but we have a shadow priest in group too).

Most my gear is from kara/ZA and badges only.

Quote Originally Posted by Crommi View Post
    That being said, I tried to get into Kara on priest alt and +900 spell power wasn't good enough for raid leader. (That's roughly +1600 healing pre-3.0)
    I'd be wondering if the RL doesn't understand the changes to spellpower numbers. I've been healing up a storm on my priest alt in ZA, who I'd never taken there 3.0.2 - even in her first couple of runs when she was still around 1000 spellpower I was keeping up with the other healer without a problem, and at around 1100 sp I solo-healed most of the ZJ fight.

To make this a little more on-topic, we've been single-tanking Kara on pretty much every run lately, including with a warrior the other night who is almost entirely in T4/badge gear. I don't recall his HP specifically (bad priest!) but I'd be guessing 13k or so, maybe 14k. He didn't go for the whole ballroom AOE clear the way our T5 paladin did, but had no problem with some decently big AOE pulls. It was his first time tanking since pre-3.0.2 (he specced 5min before the run), and he had almost no problems.

Often, though, when people in /trade or LFG want 'geared' they still have the 'super leet epix' expectations, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagh View Post
    I often see people asking for geared players for a quick Kara badge run. I sent one a message today asking how geared, geared is these days. His response....Geared.

So could someone enlighten me. Am I "Geared" enough for a Kara Geared run? Where is the line now?

Cheers,

Shagh
    Geared would be full epic having cleared Karazhan multiple times. Badge runs are about speed and they don't want anyone on the run that hasn't completed it numerous times. Essentially, if you are expecting anything other than badges and perhaps one item that has evaded you then, you aren't "geared".

Now whether this is fair or not is a different story, but the above is what I've found is the interpretation of most pugs when it comes to the idea of "geared"

Note: You should fully expect numerous dpsers and especially healers that aren't "geared" at all. They almost always want a tank that can compensate for the short comings of the rest of the group.

I heard that nowadays you need T6 to clear Karazhan, looking for confirmation.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Worldie View Post
    i can confirm that to clear Kara in a 3 man raid, it is advisable to get T6.

it is also advisable to not try to do a less than 38 minute clear of kara unless your in all T6

For Cereal.

Yeah I get the feeling that people are trying to run Kara faster and faster for more badges if little else.

Would it not be easier to just clear a few heroics?

Thanks all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagh View Post
    Yeah I get the feeling that people are trying to run Kara faster and faster for more badges if little else.

Would it not be easier to just clear a few heroics?
    Today you can do Kara pug in under 2 hours, give or take depending on group. For that you get about 20 badges (I think). To get 20 badges from heroics you need to do at least 5 of them (of which one is daily).

Probably easier to get a grp to go Kara than one that sticks together for 5-6 heroics. And quicker.

Still, you can now do both

*$

Full Sunwell gear imo.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Worldie View Post
    Oh, I've heard you need t6 just for heroics these days!

A friend of mine got turned down from heroic MgT because he still had one blue left (a trinket). True story.

With the additional animal quarter boss, kara is now a quick 24 badges. For me that translates to almost 300g because these days I just buy epic gems with my badges and sell them, since I have every peice of badge gear for both prot and dps sets and it's all gemmed out. I mostly do kara now because I'm bored and I could use the extra gold for whatever training I'm going to need coming soon.

+ Reply to Thread