+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Healer Troubles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blood Glutch Outpost #1
    Posts
    159

    Healer Troubles

    I've been having troubles with a healer in my guild. Before I start my main is a mage and my alt is a tank, we are a BT/SWP guild as far as progression goes clearing BT/MH and 1 boss in SWP. I have been running kara with my guild every weekend for badges and gearing up some of the alts that we have. We bring in this pally healer who is pretty geared in T6 and badge loots. So, we run kara and I notice that he spends alot of time doing something besides healing. Yesterday in BT on the Mother fight he was out healed by our shadow priest. I'm not the guild leader or an officer and I dont think they have noticed yet. I dont want to come out to them and say you know "so-and-so isn't healing" but I want the problem resolved because healing isn't like dps where you can go afk through trash pulls and be fine.

    What would you do if you were in my shoes? I want to tlak to him about it but I dont want to sound like a jerk or anything. But last night it was clear that he wasnt doing anything at all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    70
    Have a hunter MD on him and see if he starts healing.

    Seriously, someone needs to confront him. It really annoys me when highly geared people slack off in place like Kara. They are usually the quickest to then point out the flaws of the newer members.

    I suggest raising it discreetly with an officer.

  3. #3
    Question: Does it matter?

    Healers are probably the best equipped to go AFK for trash, because they CAN go afk and be fine. In fact, about half of my healers DPS trash just to speed it up.

    If you're not wiping, it's not a problem.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blood Glutch Outpost #1
    Posts
    159
    Sorry, if I made it sound like it was just kara or trash. It is always, in BT on the mother fight like I said above he did less healing than our shadow priest. I think its a serious problem but me not being a healing class dont think I should confront him. Just wondering everyones opinions.

  5. #5
    We had that same problem in my guild. I am GM so it makes it a bit different. But, I have made it clear to the folks in my guild that I love to hear about people slacking so we can help them out.

    Talk to your healer officer or raid leader about it and have him tell them why. If he thinks he's really trying someone should talk to him about how to do better.

    If he is just slacking then they need to sit him.

  6. #6
    So um, what IS he doing then?
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blood Glutch Outpost #1
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayella View Post
    So um, what IS he doing then?

    Nothing. He stands there and what it looks like is after the "battle" is done he does a couple flash of lights.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    190
    I'd have an officer or a GM speak to the person. It doesn't matter how well geared they are, if a person is there as a healer, that's their job and they need to do that first. If they don't want to heal the instance, they shouldn't go to the instance. I've had groups wipe in Kara because a healer was too busy dpsing and didn't notice the other healers were down.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    51
    I had a similar problem with a healer, we couldnt understand why her healing was so far down on other healers. I had class leaders have a chat, give advice but other than the odd fight healing was generally down.

    It wasnt until i pointed out that i dont care about gear i care about performing to gearing standard, that she admitted spending half the time having private chats. Simply, if they cant perform to gearing no matter how good it is, you'll eventually have trouble.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8
    There is a slight difference between not being arsed to heal and not seeing the need to heal. That's something you might need to consider, maybe he's simply just helping out when it's getting tough on one or more of the other healers?
    However, I do agree with the fact that on bosses, where you have an assign, you put a minimum of effort into healing him/her/them. The reasons for doing that is more or less obvious.

  11. #11
    It could be that he doesn't understand the need for proactive (rather than reactive) healing. However, if you're in Black Temple... it surprises me he hasn't learnt that already.

    Raise your concern with an officer perhaps. If it's not your job to have words with him then you probably shouldn't yourself - but I find it a bit hard to believe none of them have noticed his dismal performance - even if they haven't figured out why yet.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    179
    Ah note you say after the fight he flash heals. So your not wiping? If he is as geared as you say im sure he knows how to heal. If there is no need for him to jump in then why is he going to? If you are OT and on trash and MT is holding aggro just fine are you taunting and popping mocking blows or are you mainly just dpsing?

    Talk to him he might just be letting your other healers learn how to raid heal and backing them up, thinking it's the right thing.
    Now if you were wiping it would be worth talking to your gm but I would just ask him if it bothers you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by PvtCaboose View Post
    Nothing. He stands there and what it looks like is after the "battle" is done he does a couple flash of lights.
    I just don't get this. Is he assigned specific targets to heal? If so, are those targets dying? Are they not taking damage?

    If his targets aren't taking damage, maybe he should be assigned to different targets? Or maybe you are bringing too many healers? Or other healers are ignoring their own targets and healing his instead?

    I'm just finding this pretty odd. If a healer is letting his targets die, it seems that the whole raid would notice. It would be pretty obvious when you wipe.
    Taur (80 feral druid), Chanu (70 shaman, waiting for his turn to level), Sareu (new favorite alt, lowbie prot warrior)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    21
    Not that I have any authority, but I guess:

    IF he is letting things die and you are wiping THEN replace him with a better healer
    IF he is not doing anything and your fine THEN replace him with more DPS

    But I would like to point out that healing is an area where the meters don't really matter. If no one is dying, then no big deal. Unless he is so useless that another DPS would be better. I judge my own healing by number of deaths/near deaths, not my HPS.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blood Glutch Outpost #1
    Posts
    159
    But no one is dying because others are picking up the slack. If I'm tanking and he is supposed to heal me and I need more heals. Our healers are good enough to see that I'll need extra. He doesn't heal me one of the healers assigned to raid healing will be healing me all fight due to the lack of heals I get.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by PvtCaboose View Post
    He doesn't heal me one of the healers assigned to raid healing will be healing me all fight due to the lack of heals I get.
    It sounds like he needs to be replaced. If I were you, I'd talk with the officers in your guild about this. Either with another healer or a DPS, as mentioned above.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Question: Does it matter?

    Healers are probably the best equipped to go AFK for trash, because they CAN go afk and be fine. In fact, about half of my healers DPS trash just to speed it up.

    If you're not wiping, it's not a problem.
    I might disagree slightly. As long as the other healers communicate what they are doing then I'm cool. When I was a healer, it infuriated me when healers would go afk or "dps" because most of the time, all of the time really, they wouldn't announce it to the RL or other healers. So you'd often have one healer on 25 people during trash kills...doesn't always work well.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    352
    if you're killing bosses then you're running with too many healers and they have nothing to do

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by PvtCaboose View Post
    Sorry, if I made it sound like it was just kara or trash. It is always, in BT on the mother fight like I said above he did less healing than our shadow priest. I think its a serious problem but me not being a healing class dont think I should confront him. Just wondering everyones opinions.
    To quote the great Troxed "Spam the mother fu**** with heals!"
    Maybe the video he made on healing would be of help?

    In all seriousness, back in kara progression, we had priests who just couldn't do it. We'd three man heal kara and one pally would usually have 50% of the raid healing. With three healers -- none of whom were doing dps. We ended up calling raids after 2 bosses if the meters were lopsided with the RL/GM citing "healer performance" as the reasons and that "we can't carry 3 healers when one is having to throw up insane numbers just to eek out boss kills."

    Believe me man -- in raids there is always someone that needs a heal. If your primary assignment is topped off, then heal the raid.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by protonly View Post
    I might disagree slightly. As long as the other healers communicate what they are doing then I'm cool. When I was a healer, it infuriated me when healers would go afk or "dps" because most of the time, all of the time really, they wouldn't announce it to the RL or other healers. So you'd often have one healer on 25 people during trash kills...doesn't always work well.
    On trash we had a bit of a rotation to speed up things, we noticed we could do trash on with 4 healers so while these 4 healers were healing the rest was drinking up so we could go to next pack and then new healers with full manabars would step in and others could drink. We didn't need any manabreaks that way.......Tanks loved it.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts