+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Learning From Our Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by hanago View Post
    Very very deep stuff. And very well presented. Have you considered writting a book Cider? You clearly have the writing skills for it. I can tell you that others have published biographies with less profound content.
    Some of the content would be more appropriate to a penthouse article.

And the sergeant yelled, "O'Callaghan, to the shower!" "YES SIR!"

The first time I heard you say something like this, was when I heard a previous podcast of yours about raidleading, referring to your raid-time, where you said something about not punishing (a) kid('s) when it came to raiding contra keeping up with school and getting punished. So to contribute several podcasts on this astounded me.

But too put so much of yourself (as in private life) into this amazed me. The stories and the thoughtfullness followed after. Can't wait to see how these is tuned into raiding, but if they aren't, I'm not disappointed!
    Last edited by izziT; 10-29-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Great podcast Cider!

Although I'm canadian, I fully understand your desire to serve the military!

I connect with what you have said, life is full of choices and we do learn from the errors that we do... that's how we learn.

Best of regards,

Pramm

That was very....interesting. I salute you for being undaunted in revealing so much about yourself.

At the risk of sounding trite, I identify with many of the experiences you went through.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

very touching podcast...

as deep as it was i did chuckle at:
    So i was enjoying myself in the shower and had to finish earlier than i would have liked...

Probably one of my favourite podcasts to date. As Horacio just said, I can identify with a lot of the things you brought up to such a point that it's kind of creepy. Very well done and if you kept out the innuendos I'm sure you could write a really compelling bibliography

Quote Originally Posted by hanago View Post
    Very very deep stuff. And very well presented. Have you considered writting a book Cider? You clearly have the writing skills for it. I can tell you that others have published biographies with less profound content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
    Probably one of my favourite podcasts to date. As Horacio just said, I can identify with a lot of the things you brought up to such a point that it's kind of creepy. Very well done and if you kept out the innuendos I'm sure you could write a really compelling bibliography
    Thanks! However, a biography for me would go something like this:
    1. Deeply emotional events.
    2. Diet Pepsi.
    3. ??
    4. TankSpot.

The climax is kind of in the wrong place as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    This reply is not meant as criticism of the podcast's message or purpose, only that those of use that come here for the tanking related issues should not have to wade through "off topic" content to get tank news at a site called Tankspot.
    While I appreciate your comments, we've been doing off-topic podcasts since April. They aren't posted on our high-traffic days (Monday/Tuesday). They are also clearly labeled and the podcast descriptions are kept short so other news can be clearly seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    CIDER :O did you pick up red alert 3 it was released today?!
    No Frank Klepacki music? Oh well, I'll get it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Furi View Post
    Ciderhelm, I enjoyed the podcast and I thank you for making it.

May I ask what prompted you to create and share a podcast on such a personal subject?
    It lays the groundwork for 1-2 more podcasts which are more relevant to the community. The next podcast is going to be about people rather than experiences, and how people can have a positive (and negative) impact on us, and how we can have an impact on others. When I referenced Nick early on in this podcast, that comes back in a story about what happened after the USMC.

Excellent listen

Thanks for that Cider, really adds a human touch to your writings and online presence so far. I particularly enjoyed your last few lines about how mistakes become opportunities. It is always easier to view mistakes as mistakes that you would re-do, but if you examine almost any model of success in human civilization, they came at a time where mistakes were made, where hardship flourished and demanded creativity to escape, and where people learned from experiences they previously percieved as failures.

Congrats on making the most of your hardships, and turning failures into countless opportunities. It is a great reminder for all of us to never look past this idea when the chips are down.

Also, 10/10 for leaving aside personal ideals of religion, nationalism, etc... a very non-slanted humanist view on progressive learning. Very-well executed, Cider.

iTunes?

Will get it up immediately Molloy, apologies!

I just started listening to TankSpot's podcasts at work, and i'm really having a blast
    Keep up the great discussions and if you can, please record even more podcasts!

Thank you Lore & Ciderhelm

I don't always listen to the off-topic podcasts, but I'm glad that I decided to download this one. Thank you for sharing your experiences, Ciderhelm. I'm at a point in my own life where I've really been struggling with regret over choices, lost opportunities, mistakes and the like, and this was a very timely listen.

Also, I wish I were fortunate in having a class mentor the way you did along the way! I'm a baby warrior still (my main is a hunter and I also have a newly raid-ready priest, so this tanking thing is new and scary) - I've been having so much fun playing her, but I'm never quite brave enough to ask my warrior friends to group with me/watch my playstyle/give me tips. I find I spend much more time reading forum posts here than I do researching hunter/priest info, curiously.

Outstanding work devil dogg. I can totally relate to this podcast, from school, to USMC(PI Though) to the focusing difficulties, to great fam. background, all that. I know exactly were ya coming from, its interesting to meet peeps w/ the exact same exp.. Also i can totally relate to the towel incedent except mine was when the (Mothers of America) came on deck. The DI's made us take a shower in the middle of the day b/c of (Mothers of America)<<<<< not sure what there called now, because of there complaints to the Gen. about the Squadbays stinking and smelling, except our DI's wanted our towels to drop to send a statement back @ them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Will get it up immediately Molloy, apologies!
    Bless you good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    CIDER :O did you pick up red alert 3 it was released today?!
    RA3!? how have i not heard about this till now

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    I have been a long time reader of the tanking gospel according to Ciderhelm for a long while. I often lurk around these forums and find them to be a superior resource for tanks of all make and model. So for this resource I thank you. My contribution will be forthcoming.

Pleasantries aside I listened to the entire podcast, and while its message is certainly positive and perhaps motivational, I must admit that it was long winded and served no purpose for me, particularly as a front page item. I'm glad that you have decided to use the internet as an avenue to positively impact people, but I think that your effort in this regard is better placed elsewhere.

This reply is not meant as criticism of the podcast's message or purpose, only that those of use that come here for the tanking related issues should not have to wade through "off topic" content to get tank news at a site called Tankspot.

Thank you very much for this (TankSpot) endeavor, and keep up the good work.

P.S. I was on the Olympic Peninsula on 9/11, not far from your hood. It was surreal to not see a single contrail from Sea-Tac.
    Cause he is the man behind the scenes and he can do what he wants on his site and him doing this does not keep anyone from posting or reading the tank relevant stuff. Skip it and read only the stuff you want. The privilege of being and American is freedom to write or read what you want, for example this sort of stuff. I have some Military background and appreciate the story having went through some tough stuff myself. Looking forward to listening to it again at home when I can actually turn the volume up some lol.

Excellent podcast.
    It's not how many time you fall that's important, it's how many time you get up.

One thing for sure, if you had gone all the way into a military carreer, we would have lost one hell of a community leader. No offense Lore
    Last edited by Elmeric; 10-30-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Just listened to the podcast, and I have to pretty much agree with what you said.

I have certainly made some mistakes, though thankfully not quite so emotionally painful as the one you outlined. And because of those poor decisions I got a fairly significant opportunity to get paid to do something that I was willing to do for free. Not only that but I've met some amazing people in the process and really feel that, while I was pretty low for a while, my life is really in a much better place for having made the mistakes than it would be had I not.

I, also, wouldn't go back and change things because of what I learned and the opportunities that I've got now.

Interesting and brave podcast.

Here is something I've noticed through the years, especially at work, about how different people approach the concepts of success and failure. There seem to be two personality types when it comes to this:
    • Those for whom success or failure is very black and white. These people like externally imposed or recognized goals and criteria for success. They strive for formally recognized success, and are seriously worried about public failure. At work, these people are more comfortable with very ordered projects but demand that they meet some prerequisites for success, such as having enough budget, time, and clear requirements. These people do well in stable businesses.
    • Those for whom success or failure are softer concepts. People with this personality type like setting a priority list for themselves, often privately. They work to maximize their overall achievement, and are not worried that much about failure, but rather about missed opportunity. At work, these people like chaotic and risky projects where there is a lot of potential, but do not particularly like set requirements or other constraints. These people are more productive in startups or similar environments.
    This might have something to do with how we judge our actions in the past. I'm of the latter personality type. My most failed relationship certainly ended in spectacular failure, but it wasn't a missed opportunity. If I could go back in time, of course I would try to act in a better way to make things turn out well, but I would still take the risk.

How do you explain me Machus lol, i'm the first one when it comes to work, but outside of work i'm the 2nd type, exploring, adventurous and always fearful of missing an opportunity, but within the work place, i like the steady, stable, and clearcut requirements.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread