+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which badge piece should I get before WotLK

Which badge piece should I get before WotLK

Hello all,

Quick intro:

Been playing the game for about 3 months, have been reading a lot about my class (prot warrior) since I plan on raiding high end content, and have been working hard at becoming a better tank.

With the expansion around the corner, my main concern right now is to get the best gear I can to level up fast to 80.

So, I have right now about 36 badges, and am thinking that, at the rate I am going, I will probably be able to get around 100 before the expansion hits.

My question is, which badge item should I get?

I am leaning towards de gnomeragan autoblocker, but unwavering legs and the stoicism chest are also pretty darn nice.

Your input is appreciated.

Salute,

Stompya

Armory link: The World of Warcraft Armory

You have a lot of PvP gear - nothing wrong with that but it makes for a strange mix

I like the sabatons of righteous defender (boots) - used to be pally spec but now flat warrior. They have nice avoidance & stam. Other then that, get someone to craft you a khorium destroyer for more stam/dodge

As for the autoblocker, probably not worth it since none of your other gear has any +bv bonus.. it would help with your shield slams but it wouldn't crit like it would if you have a PvE gear kit with lots of bonus bv

Oh yes, sorry I forgot to mention that, I have been working on some BV gear, got natashas necklace and corens lucky coin.

Also got the mats to have the khorium destroyer made, will prolly have that tonight, thanks!

The reason I have so much pvp gear is because it was fairly easy to get in a short amount of time, without depending much on other people's help (I have only joined a guild with enough 70's for raids and heroics last week), and it gives good str, sta and armor.

The boots and belt I feel are indeed my weaker spots (considering I have the range slot covered), but I am afraid those will be replaced with quest stuff early on during WotLK.

oh i know the feeling! i went BS/ENG to craft my initial gear simply because i was solo grinding and for the most part any attempt at heroics meant a pissed of healer since with blues i simply didn't have the threat to hold the hate.

The coin and autoblocker together make a nice slam but reduce your defense unless you get some other gear to cover for the trink.

I just did a day of bg's to get the merciless shoulders myself to hold me over since netherspite hasn' been so friendly to drop its shoulders for me and i'm just now getting runs into ZA

I'd say go with the BoJ chest, I just got it last week and it is a very nice upgrade over what I had.

One thing you might look into since your short on time is this belt: Belt of the Guardian

It's a re-itemized BoE that use to be for pallys. I just got it to replace my old crappy quest belt. I the nether vortex very cheap and had the rest of the mats in the bank. While it's not as good as the BoJ belt, it is certainly a upgrade over what you have, giving you more defense & SBV and will allow you to spend the badges elsewhere.

From your gear, I would suggest the Chest of Stoicism. You gain Stam, Dodge, Defense, and SBV. You loose two gem slots, but since you have def in them now, you're actually breaking even without the enchant. If you're going to tank, you need at least 490 Def currently, and I believe someone said 520 or 530 defense at 80. For the gem, you may want to either use the +15 Stam (and loose the bonus) or go with the Sovereign Shadowsong Amethyst (+5 Str +7 Stam)
    Bosco
    "By Grabthar's Hammer... What a savings"

I think defense cap (key word = think) is 540 at 80.

And wow, I had no idea about that belt. That's a must-have imo.

As for the OP's question, I'd go with the Chest, the Autoblocker, and the 35 badge necklace/bracers (the ones with a ton of STA and hit/exp.) unless you have better in those slots. Also, Unwavering Legguards are nice. Excellent STA, Armor and SbV. A lot of sockets too.

And no need to defend your existing gear, either. We all had to start somewhere that wasn't exactly perfect.. I mean, I don't remember stepping into heroics or Kara for the first time with full tanking epic gear.

I did the same thing with an item slot - got a set of Arena shoulders and socketed/Inscribed (Aldor rep, not the profession) them for tanking. They weren't ideal but they got the job done until I got Spite's shoulders, which did the job until I got my T4, T5, etc etc. Stepping stones!

Quote Originally Posted by boscosuma View Post
    From your gear, I would suggest the Chest of Stoicism. You gain Stam, Dodge, Defense, and SBV. You loose two gem slots, but since you have def in them now, you're actually breaking even without the enchant. If you're going to tank, you need at least 490 Def currently, and I believe someone said 520 or 530 defense at 80. For the gem, you may want to either use the +15 Stam (and loose the bonus) or go with the Sovereign Shadowsong Amethyst (+5 Str +7 Stam)
    Certainly don't need 490 defense, but it doesn't hurt - PvP resilience helps achieve crit avoidance but doesn't offer any other type of avoidance so its not entirely recommended.

Defense - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

If you run the script and its positive - need more defense.

Of course you can also see on Be Imba! - the online Character Auditor for World of Warcraft or add up your def/avoidance and if its greater than 5.6% or whatever it is then your good to go. (can't remember the exact two, but its in a thread here)

Also, since your a Blacksmith (if armorsmith) can't you craft the bulwark of kings and save some badges for other gear? Spec wise out of the box its about the same as your current piece but with 3 gem slots and the nice 1500 health bonus its rather fun for hitting PvP and PvE as you do

Depends on what he's tanking... there is stuff where, crushing blows gone or not, you do NOT want to be hit critically.

Quote Originally Posted by Taaryn View Post
    Depends on what he's tanking... there is stuff where, crushing blows gone or not, you do NOT want to be hit critically.
    Crit avoidance is easily attainable. I have it at 471 defense. If your stacking to 490 simply because that was the old magic number you could be wasting other stats.

Crushing blows is a non issue at lvl 70 right now. I believe they're all but removed in anything someone gearing up now would ever see before wrath is released.

however there is absolutely nothing wrong with high defense

Trinkets are the only thing you're likely to be using post-80. Trinkets tend to be the things you want to hold onto. As such, go for the trinket first.

Thanks for the advice guys, I got the gnomeregan and am loving the huge Shield Slams!

Now am saving for those nice boots since that is actually my weaker armor slot for tanking. Then if I get the badges I go for the stoic bp.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompya View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I got the gnomeregan and am loving the huge Shield Slams!

Now am saving for those nice boots since that is actually my weaker armor slot for tanking. Then if I get the badges I go for the stoic bp.
    The boots were the hardest thing for me to get drop wise so i went with the badge ones and love'em. 2.4 they were pally specced so its a little bonus that they're more warrior

Don't forget to macro your shield slam to trigger your gnomer trink, keep that puppy hot!

You shoulda got the chest.

You can do chain Q for Dabiri's Enigma - Item - World of Warcraft
    That will help to be 490 with def,and it is easy to get.And do mgt hc to get trinket for princess.
    One thing more,go to CoT instances for reputation you will get great enchant Arcanum of the Defender - Item - World of Warcraft for your helm.

get the chest. Boots Can be crafted, Red havoc ones. Dont get neck as you easily can grind rep for the shattered sun neck. Bracers if you have any badges left.

*$

Quote Originally Posted by Stompya View Post
    With the expansion around the corner, my main concern right now is to get the best gear I can to level up fast to 80.
    Why wouldn't you get a dps piece with hit on it for leveling? I assume you will respec arms or fury to get to 80?

Quote Originally Posted by elapadrinar View Post
    Why wouldn't you get a dps piece with hit on it for leveling? I assume you will respec arms or fury to get to 80?
    Have you seen protection and what it can do nowadays? Who needs arms or fury?!

Quote Originally Posted by Grakkur View Post
    Have you seen protection and what it can do nowadays? Who needs arms or fury?!
    Have you seen what arms and fury can do nowadays? :P
    Arms is sick raid dps but I would say fury is still the best leveling spec.

+ Reply to Thread