+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holy spec advice

Holy spec advice

I'm trying to build a holy spec for my paladin alt but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on what's worth it and what isn't. Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft is what I've come up with so far, any suggestions?
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

For 80.

Drop the 5 in parry, and 5 in conviction for 70.

Also, pick up some PVP gloves, they are great stam piece, and the 2% flat crit chance on em is too good to pass up.
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

Glom linked what's been considered a "selfish" healing spec where you attempt to maximize your crit, you can also go with:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Which is geared more toward party play without a prot pally or resto druid. Divine Guardian is 30% damage reduction, think indirect shield wall, and the devotion aura will increase healing done to the target. Granted, imp devo aura is still effective for maximizing tank EH if a resto druid is around.
    Last edited by Muggs; 10-28-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Messed up the talent build, heh.

My main is a holy paladin (at least for now - we'll see in WotLK!)

If you're primarily looking to be a PvE healer, for level 70 I would highly recommend a standard 51/5/5 spec - linky: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

That's not wildly different from yours, but Benediction is a very big efficiency gain if you consider all the instant spells you can cast - HS, BoL, Hands, Judgements, Seals. It's well worth picking up.

At 80, the "standard" spec for PvE is likely to be 51/0/18 (+2) - picking up Conviction and Sanctified Seals gives an awful lot of spell crit which is very hard to justify not getting.

PVP builds look a bit different, but I'm not sure what you're aiming to do with your pally.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

8% crit is a lot, but when you're stacked in a raid, mana regen and crit raid are going to zoooom. Replenishment, boomkin aura, totems, etc...

It's a hard balance because you can have huge heals, or you can be an instrument to reduce raid damage and raid healing at the same time. Of course, the holy pallies in my guild would never think of using their bubble to reduce an AoE raid damage, but that's a guild management and working together issue I need to resolve

Playing with Kale. last night in SWP made me think 'Wow, if we had a holy pally that bubbled, that was 12 seconds where the arcane buffet and enraged hits where getting turned into manageable damage" while we were trying to burn him down.

I don't disagree that they're nice tools, but it's 20 points invested into prot for the sake of a few hundred armor, a ToL-lookalike, and the raid-wide shield wall.

For that in ret you get 8% crit (increases your mana efficiency and your output), 10% reduced mana cost on a lot of instant casts, imp BoM, and 3% crit for the whole raid on your judgement target. Given that mana isn't something we can just forget about now, I really think it's going to be important to maximise efficiency.

My personal opinion is that the 20 "spare" points after 51 holy are better spent in ret. The prot option is viable if you don't have a resto druid and don't have someone to buff Kings, but I think you'd really hurt your own performance by doing it - and it probably would be a secondary spec for when you really 'need' it.

With the upcoming expansion all I have been doing is BGs and Arenas. Mainly so I can learn more about my class and learn the new abilities of the other classes.

I have been rocking this build: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

In battlegrounds I feel real powerful. I cast Beacon of Light on myself and heal the crap out of everyone around me. With the destruction that ret has been providing I find that everyone ignores that Holy Pally now. With Holy shock and the fear/stun/silence duration reduction time I have found that I am really mobile and my healing is extremely hard to stop.

If I do heal in the expansion (I am looking forward to going protection with all the changes that have been made) it will most likely be PVP and I'm planning of this build: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft with my second talent tree being protection.

The above build provides reductions on most everything stuns/fear/slows/silence. I am going for the 30 sec HOJ which should be invaluable in escape situations. The 30% dmg reduction to everyone is nice, but the ability to stun/interrupt an opponent and to make an escape every 30 secs (20 secs with gear) appeals to me more.

No devotion Aura, if I'm pvping I keep conc aura on otherwise Ill never get a heal off with melee in range.

Now this is for PVP and there are definitely different option for a Holy PVE spec that I haven't tried yet. Currently how I see it is Holy for PVP and Protection for PVE.

looks pritty good, i would pick up imp. concentration. Nice to have in raids, and will keep you alive if you pull to many mobs while grinding.

You don't need it though - base Healing Focus + unimproved Con Aura already give you pushback immunity. It's just nice for the rest of the group and for the silence reduction

I should have mentioned that I usually only PVE on my paladin, considering he is an alt. I infrequently jump into BGs for a piece of gear but I just use my PVE spec for that. I didn't log out in his healing gear but I do already have S3 gloves (no active teams to get S4 and since it's this close to Wrath I don't really care). I'll switch him over to healing gear next time I log on. He's normally Holy anyway but I wanted to try Ret to see how "OP" it really was.

Thanks for the advice so far too, I think I might go with 51/5/5 for level 70 then go deeper into Ret for Conviction and Sanctified Seals at 80.

Well, I'd disagree that the standard for level 80 is going to be in going for the ret tree. I like some of the benefits that going into the prot tree for holy pallies now gives.. such as Blessing of Kings improving all stats by 18% when fully specced into it, plus being able to go down far enough into protection to get Imp Dev Aura is a serious consideration for me, since I know my holy paladin will be doing a lot of 5 man/raid healing. 6% increased healing is a very nice boost to the healing.

I'm also wary about going into the Ret tree right now because Blizzard is having to tinker with the judgement system. Due to the fact that ret pallies are actually showing as overpowered; the judgements are getting nerfed somewhat to reduce ret pallies' damage output, which will of course affect holy and prot pallies. Getting in the slight bit of extra damage vs. being able to heal a bit more--if you're wanting to mostly heal the 5 mans and the raids, I'd rather go into the protection tree than the ret tree. Conviction is nice, but with the tinkering still going around with the ret tree, I'd personally wait to see what is changing before putting points there.

Quote Originally Posted by qygibo View Post
    Well, I'd disagree that the standard for level 80 is going to be in going for the ret tree. I like some of the benefits that going into the prot tree for holy pallies now gives.. such as Blessing of Kings improving all stats by 18% when fully specced into it, plus being able to go down far enough into protection to get Imp Dev Aura is a serious consideration for me, since I know my holy paladin will be doing a lot of 5 man/raid healing. 6% increased healing is a very nice boost to the healing.

I'm also wary about going into the Ret tree right now because Blizzard is having to tinker with the judgement system. Due to the fact that ret pallies are actually showing as overpowered; the judgements are getting nerfed somewhat to reduce ret pallies' damage output, which will of course affect holy and prot pallies. Getting in the slight bit of extra damage vs. being able to heal a bit more--if you're wanting to mostly heal the 5 mans and the raids, I'd rather go into the protection tree than the ret tree. Conviction is nice, but with the tinkering still going around with the ret tree, I'd personally wait to see what is changing before putting points there.
    That's the beauty about leveling to 80: it gives me time to see what changes and allows me to change my spec accordingly. I have two other characters at least that I'm going to take to 80 before my paladin too so I'll have a lot of time to look at changes.

Edit: About BoK, they inflated it up to 5 points for the full 10% effect so it goes 2/4/6/8/10, not 10/12/14/16/18

Quote Originally Posted by Arrivan View Post
    That's the beauty about leveling to 80: it gives me time to see what changes and allows me to change my spec accordingly. I have two other characters at least that I'm going to take to 80 before my paladin too so I'll have a lot of time to look at changes.

Edit: About BoK, they inflated it up to 5 points for the full 10% effect so it goes 2/4/6/8/10, not 10/12/14/16/18
    Yeah, you're right and for some reason I've misread the stupid thing, that's pretty bad of me :P

As for ret spec, I'm kinda wary of it even as leveling; since it's a spec that'll probably need to be tinkered with tons in order to get it just right... maybe a few months from now it might be considered for enhancing holy, but not just when the expansion comes out.. of course, I hope to be 80 within a month's time or so.

+ Reply to Thread