+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Gemming Advice for Battleworn Tuskgaurd

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19

    Gemming Advice for Battleworn Tuskgaurd

    Gday all,

    Well after about 3 months out of WoW I came back last night and managed to score the Tuskguard.
    With all the changes I'm out of the loop and am looking for advice on what to gem it with. At the moment this is me:

    The World of Warcraft Armory

    At the same time I was also thinking about regemming the girdle. For both I'm leaning towards some more avoidance but just need some pointers.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    179
    Go for avoidance, right now you've gemmed everything stamina.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    hmm, i ducked on over to tankingtips.com and there is a couple articles on it there, but they're all to do with stuffing +15 stam gems into it.

    So i'm thinking a +15 stam for the blue, a +10 dodge for the red and +10 def for yellow?

    Also I'm probably going to grab ring of the stalwart protector too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    179
    Dodge is something you'll acquire all over the board so I'd suggest going for parry. If you've done the ZA quest, you'll have a free +15 stamina gem to use.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Grakkur View Post
    Dodge is something you'll acquire all over the board so I'd suggest going for parry. If you've done the ZA quest, you'll have a free +15 stamina gem to use.
    orly? what about: Dodge > Parry, Always. - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    thoughts?

    oh and one other thing, now i'm even more confused as i'm thinking i should go for the bonefist gauntlets as opposed to the ring of the stalwart protector. i have 66 badges, guild is currently trying to push through the later stages of MH/BT.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,909
    Parry > Dodge.

    All kinds of items come with dodge on it, dodge earns you 0 rage and generates 0 threat (pretty much)... Parry generates both.

    I gemm'd mine all +12 STAM but I am going back and redoing my gems STR/STAM/PARRY/DEF where needed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by tehrad View Post
    orly? what about: Dodge > Parry, Always. - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    thoughts?

    oh and one other thing, now i'm even more confused as i'm thinking i should go for the bonefist gauntlets as opposed to the ring of the stalwart protector. i have 66 badges, guild is currently trying to push through the later stages of MH/BT.
    Two words: Diminishing returns. That article was made before 3.0

    Dodge will always have a higher number than parry since it does benefit more from the rating. Dodge in itself is worse than parry because it does not yield anything besides mitigated damage (in this case, completely mitigated). Parry yields a reduced swing time on your next hit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    61
    18.9 Dodge Rating = 1% Avoidance
    23.65 Parry Rating = 1% Avoidance

    It's true that you generate a little threat with parry because of parry haste, but I think that's not really worth it. Especially since threat shouldn't be a big concern post 3.0.
    So if you need more avoidance, get dodge. If you need more threat, get hit, expertise and maybe strength.
    But since the Tuskguard is one of the best Effective Health pieces, I'd say...
    Stack Teh Stamina!

    Edit:
    Two words: Diminishing returns.
    Didn't think about that... where's my calculator...
    Supreme Gnomish Tanking since 2007.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Khayra View Post
    18.9 Dodge Rating = 1% Avoidance
    23.65 Parry Rating = 1% Avoidance

    It's true that you generate a little threat with parry because of parry haste, but I think that's not really worth it. Especially since threat shouldn't be a big concern post 3.0.
    So if you need more avoidance, get dodge. If you need more threat, get hit, expertise and maybe strength.
    But since the Tuskguard is one of the best Effective Health pieces, I'd say...
    Stack Teh Stamina!

    Edit: Didn't think about that... where's my calculator...
    while tanking gear considers to favor dodge, get dodge from gear and gem for parry to maximize avoidance after diminish returns.

    diminish returns changed a lot of things.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SC!
    Posts
    93
    Since 3.0 I've been all about Stamina, Str/Stam, and Def/Stam for blue, red, and yellow respectively. If you're good on defense you might want to look into a hit gem.

    I'm not socketing for pure avoidance anymore. It was my understanding that dodge and parry are now sorta like defense used to be; it's not something you socket for unless you're in a pinch.

    Also, where are you guys getting info for new parry and dodge mechanics? I haven't seen anything on any of the tanks sites I usually go to about avoidance in 3.0.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19
    what about the increase in parry gibs considering my low expertise?
    i know they will probably be marginal but is it worth considering?

    having said that i'm leaning towards the bonefist gauntlets now for my badge pick, how will that change the mix?

    thanks for the help guys i've been out of the game for so long its like going back to school...literally

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by tehrad View Post
    what about the increase in parry gibs considering my low expertise?
    i know they will probably be marginal but is it worth considering?

    having said that i'm leaning towards the bonefist gauntlets now for my badge pick, how will that change the mix?

    thanks for the help guys i've been out of the game for so long its like going back to school...literally
    This thread is about gemming of a battleworn tuskguard. I may not be a moderator but I suggest you post a new thread for your own question.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts