+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gemming Advice for Battleworn Tuskgaurd

Gemming Advice for Battleworn Tuskgaurd

Gday all,

Well after about 3 months out of WoW I came back last night and managed to score the Tuskguard.
    With all the changes I'm out of the loop and am looking for advice on what to gem it with. At the moment this is me:

The World of Warcraft Armory

At the same time I was also thinking about regemming the girdle. For both I'm leaning towards some more avoidance but just need some pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Go for avoidance, right now you've gemmed everything stamina.

hmm, i ducked on over to tankingtips.com and there is a couple articles on it there, but they're all to do with stuffing +15 stam gems into it.

So i'm thinking a +15 stam for the blue, a +10 dodge for the red and +10 def for yellow?

Also I'm probably going to grab ring of the stalwart protector too.

Dodge is something you'll acquire all over the board so I'd suggest going for parry. If you've done the ZA quest, you'll have a free +15 stamina gem to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Grakkur View Post
    Dodge is something you'll acquire all over the board so I'd suggest going for parry. If you've done the ZA quest, you'll have a free +15 stamina gem to use.
    orly? what about: Dodge > Parry, Always. - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    thoughts?

oh and one other thing, now i'm even more confused as i'm thinking i should go for the bonefist gauntlets as opposed to the ring of the stalwart protector. i have 66 badges, guild is currently trying to push through the later stages of MH/BT.

Parry > Dodge.

All kinds of items come with dodge on it, dodge earns you 0 rage and generates 0 threat (pretty much)... Parry generates both.

I gemm'd mine all +12 STAM but I am going back and redoing my gems STR/STAM/PARRY/DEF where needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tehrad View Post
    orly? what about: Dodge > Parry, Always. - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    thoughts?

oh and one other thing, now i'm even more confused as i'm thinking i should go for the bonefist gauntlets as opposed to the ring of the stalwart protector. i have 66 badges, guild is currently trying to push through the later stages of MH/BT.
    Two words: Diminishing returns. That article was made before 3.0

Dodge will always have a higher number than parry since it does benefit more from the rating. Dodge in itself is worse than parry because it does not yield anything besides mitigated damage (in this case, completely mitigated). Parry yields a reduced swing time on your next hit.

18.9 Dodge Rating = 1% Avoidance
    23.65 Parry Rating = 1% Avoidance

It's true that you generate a little threat with parry because of parry haste, but I think that's not really worth it. Especially since threat shouldn't be a big concern post 3.0.
    So if you need more avoidance, get dodge. If you need more threat, get hit, expertise and maybe strength.
    But since the Tuskguard is one of the best Effective Health pieces, I'd say...
    Stack Teh Stamina!

Edit:
    Two words: Diminishing returns.
    Didn't think about that... where's my calculator...
    Supreme Gnomish Tanking since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Khayra View Post
    18.9 Dodge Rating = 1% Avoidance
    23.65 Parry Rating = 1% Avoidance

It's true that you generate a little threat with parry because of parry haste, but I think that's not really worth it. Especially since threat shouldn't be a big concern post 3.0.
    So if you need more avoidance, get dodge. If you need more threat, get hit, expertise and maybe strength.
    But since the Tuskguard is one of the best Effective Health pieces, I'd say...
    Stack Teh Stamina!

Edit: Didn't think about that... where's my calculator...
    while tanking gear considers to favor dodge, get dodge from gear and gem for parry to maximize avoidance after diminish returns.

diminish returns changed a lot of things.

Since 3.0 I've been all about Stamina, Str/Stam, and Def/Stam for blue, red, and yellow respectively. If you're good on defense you might want to look into a hit gem.

I'm not socketing for pure avoidance anymore. It was my understanding that dodge and parry are now sorta like defense used to be; it's not something you socket for unless you're in a pinch.

Also, where are you guys getting info for new parry and dodge mechanics? I haven't seen anything on any of the tanks sites I usually go to about avoidance in 3.0.

what about the increase in parry gibs considering my low expertise?
    i know they will probably be marginal but is it worth considering?

having said that i'm leaning towards the bonefist gauntlets now for my badge pick, how will that change the mix?

thanks for the help guys i've been out of the game for so long its like going back to school...literally

Quote Originally Posted by tehrad View Post
    what about the increase in parry gibs considering my low expertise?
    i know they will probably be marginal but is it worth considering?

having said that i'm leaning towards the bonefist gauntlets now for my badge pick, how will that change the mix?

thanks for the help guys i've been out of the game for so long its like going back to school...literally
    This thread is about gemming of a battleworn tuskguard. I may not be a moderator but I suggest you post a new thread for your own question.

+ Reply to Thread