+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Polar's Easy Pre-Naxx Tank Gear List

Quote Originally Posted by Xpr View Post
    But 1 note, why haven't you add the BS crafter's pieces like
    Titansteel Shield Wall - Item - World of Warcraft for example as a shield, those are one of the best you can get pre-naxx IF you have the money for it.
    Probably best answered by quoting myself (emphasis added):

What this guide is not
    This is not the "ultimate" pre-raid tanking guide - it excludes gear that drops from bosses in the 5 man runs since such drops are random and often require many runs of the same instance to obtain such gear. It also excludes epic crafted gear and gear that requires exalted faction rep.
    But I agree - the Titansteel Shield Wall - Item - World of Warcraft is a great tank shield and worth the gold to get it crafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar
    Unbuffed 21k armor, 21k health and 32% dodge+parry is a good target for entry-level Naxxramas.
    I have almost 23k armor, 22.6k hp, and about 30% avoidance, but the vast majority of groups for even just heroics deny me (I'm also def capped for heroics. I think 538 defense).
    Are they retarded or has that changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Xly View Post
    Are they retarded or has that changed?
    Your stats are absolutely fine for heroics.

You may be suffering from DK discrimination, which is a pity. Can you run 5 mans with your guild?

People overall are more geared than when the expansion came out. Which spoils people. So while they could take you and do just fine, people are going to hold out for a better geared tank because enough of them exist now.

I ran into the same problem in TBC with Kara. Fortunately LK is much easier to gear up. Try to find some friends (from lvl 80 normal dungeon clears perhaps?) or at least a healer and start of with some of the easier heroics. Alternatively, you can try starting a group yourself - especially if it's the daily heroic you'll find a group.

You'll have trouble finding Naxx groups because entry level means they'll have to find someone else to finish the raid and that's a hassle people don't want. But heroics, just be persistent you'll get it (and don't forget your tabard for rep while you're in there).

BTW - are you not including your miss in your avoidance? 30% seems really low to me

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    BTW - are you not including your miss in your avoidance? 30% seems really low to me
    Dunno. I just added my dodge and parry together.
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    There's my Armory profile. (I logged out in Blood Presence, so armor and hp are off).

Quote Originally Posted by Porcini View Post
    Your stats are absolutely fine for heroics.

You may be suffering from DK discrimination, which is a pity. Can you run 5 mans with your guild?
    I do sometimes, but they also do Heroics on their own, PvP, etc, so I have to find a group sometimes.
    Last edited by Xly; 02-03-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Xly View Post
    Dunno. I just added my dodge and parry together.
    There's my Armory profile. (I logged out in Blood Presence, so armor and hp are off).
    "Avoidance" should also include your chance to miss. If you have 30% Dodge+Parry (excluding Miss) then you are fine from that perspective.

I love this. its like it's telling me what i'm gonna get in the future!

Pre Naxx for DK's

Well that sounds easy enough for a pre naxx list but i fail to see any epics. Is this the EASY pre naxx gear to get? I mean, can you really do very well if this is your gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio View Post
    Well that sounds easy enough for a pre naxx list but i fail to see any epics. Is this the EASY pre naxx gear to get? I mean, can you really do very well if this is your gear?
    Its Pre-Naxx, to get better, you can go run Naxx. Yes, you can do just fine in Naxx-10 with that gear as the main tank or off tank. If you needed gear from Naxx to tank Naxx, that would be kinda silly. Chicken or the egg. How do you think the first tank got through Naxx-10? Wearing Naxx-25 epics? While there are some crafted epics, you're better off just running Naxx and getting your tier pieces and FREE ilevel 200's, instead of buying them

ima dk tank and i have unbuffed 23k hp and a combined 32% dodge/parry and 547 def, i wanted to know if im rdy to tank 10 man naxx/voa

Updated with Argent Tournament weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Polar View Post
    Updated with Argent Tournament weapons
    He lives!

/bows in respect.
    Vexed
    Bronzebeard - US

Always glad to see an update and your presence Polar, how goes your WoW career?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

what do i need to get to be able to tank nax? i've been ran threw it as going dps on my prot warrior. So i got the 10man nax shoulders and chest. Im replacing my boots and belt with tempeard saronite, Or It all depends but i might get tempard titansteel boots and a helm. Just help me tell me what i need to do to get to nax. Because i want to run it with my guild.

Thanks!

You want to make a new thread in the HALP! I need Advice! forum with a link to your armory and people will be better able to help you there Unforgivein.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I came across this guide some 10 months ago and I must say, this is the single greatest guide to tank gearing that I have ever seen. It has everything, enchants, gear, where to get it, and I would probably not be tanking 25 man raids such as ToC today if it wasnt for this guide.
    Thanks!

This is indeed a wonderful guide and I've followed it almost to the letter (due to getting some drops from 5mans) but one thing is important to note - following it gets you a health pool of "around 21k" and the fact is you'll get laughed out of most heroic groups and even totc normal groups, such has the player mindset become

Quote Originally Posted by jayan View Post
    This is indeed a wonderful guide and I've followed it almost to the letter (due to getting some drops from 5mans) but one thing is important to note - following it gets you a health pool of "around 21k" and the fact is you'll get laughed out of most heroic groups and even totc normal groups, such has the player mindset become
    When Polar wrote this guide, Naxx was still pretty new and people were just hitting level 80, so smaller health pools were normal and gear wasn't as high in item level. Now that heroics drop badges of triumph, 5 man ToC drops i219 stuff, and the 3 new ICC 5 man heroics drop even higher ilevel stuff, 21k hp is quite dismal.
    I suggest looking through the triumph and conquest vendors to see what tanking pieces you can get since they're pretty high item level. Also, the more heroics you do (you mentioned you "get laughed out of most heroics groups", but using the new LFG system, they don't really have a choice unless they all vote to kick you. You can also run them with some friends so that they can't vote kick you out), the easier it is to get great gear. You can even get full 4 piece tier 9 from just doing heroics. The triumph vendor outside of the ToC raid sells the 9.0 pieces for just triumph badges.
    Also, gem for pure stamina (except what you need for your meta). Even on low level epic gear, if you can afford it, put epic gems in there. Also, even if you think you need avoidance, I would like to say, as a healer, that I HATE tanks that try to stack avoidance any more than they need to get their meta socket bonus. I would much rather heal a tank with 50k hp that gets hit much more often than an avoidance tank with 35k hp that OOPS RNG gets him hit twice in a row and he's dead (sorry, I branched off a bit there). Enchant for stamina, too. Anything you can do to buff your hp until it is high enough that people don't really question your gear, which will be around 35k hp or so.
    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread