+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3.0.3 Sudden Death Nerf

3.0.3 Sudden Death Nerf

Instead of adding 10% chance to proc on a crit, it's now 3% chance to proc on a hit, per point. Not too hard of a nerf, I suppose, but it makes crit look less attractive, even with how nicely Deep Wounds are rolling.

So... is Axe spec still king? Or will Swords be #1? Anybody on the 3.0.3 PTR testing this out that can link meters/WWS reports that have some good information? Hoping it's not too hard of a nerf to our damage, I'm getting bored w/ the Fury style of play and was hoping for a solid DPS spec that'd be new.

EDIT: For clarity.
    Last edited by Inverse; 10-17-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Baaah ; ; that sucks , i got about 57% crit in raid =/ they cut my chance to proc it by almost half thats about 10% dps cut to my personal dps, but imo axe is still best no math to support it tho :P

check out the thread about rolling ticks of deep wounds, Axe > Sword :-P

a 9% proc chance on hits means it can proc on hits and crits?

yep , all attacks

9% on all hits, assuming you're hit capped, is a flat 9% chance per swing.

30% chance on crit is a 9% swing rate when your crit is 30%. So yes, it's a definite nerf, if you had more than 30% crit.

it is for most of us in t4 and up gear.

I remember having 27 % in battle stance when I entered Kara

They should have went with a small cooldown instead. Something along the lines of 3 seconds would have been perfect imo.

that way you could still have high crit rate and get less "RNG" side effect but at the same time too much crit wouldn't be worth it.

The reason is probably the fact that (from what I gathered) arms warriors blew everything else away in terms of DPS. The damage was just too high. I'd think fury would look less attractive if you can gather a massive amount of damage output by just speccing deep into arms, another reason being that arms is also more adapted to PvP.

Well, fury got their buff, too. TG -5% instead of 15 or 12....

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Well, fury got their buff, too. TG -5% instead of 15 or 12....
    -5 % ? Didn't they said it would be -12 % ?

Wouldn't the new proc check of Sudden Death based on hit make DW of swords with sword spec more attractive? Especially with a fast OH?

With 50% crit (current SD implementation) how many procs would you average on 100 swings?

With sword spec and decent hit rating - say 150 (new implementation) how many procs would you average on 100 swings?

- Bodd
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving may not be for you!
    http://www.tankspot.com/signatures/u...sera/image.jpg

1- yes it will definitely favor dual wielding, 6 seconds cooldown on sword spec might make it a little less attractive though

2- don't forget to factor in the incredible synergy with Overpower (which improved has 100 % crit rate if you already have 50 % crit)

3- will still have to test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishkkin View Post
    -5 % ? Didn't they said it would be -12 % ?
    Recent blue post by Ghostcrawler (lost link atm, found it somewhere on mmo-champion) stated 5% miss on TG (down from 12%), and 50% AP on BT (up from 45%). So yeah, decent fury buff, since 14% hit (11% technically, we still do have precision) is definately cappable without gimping stats when you're getting along in endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddugh View Post
    Wouldn't the new proc check of Sudden Death based on hit make DW of swords with sword spec more attractive? Especially with a fast OH?

With 50% crit (current SD implementation) how many procs would you average on 100 swings?

With sword spec and decent hit rating - say 150 (new implementation) how many procs would you average on 100 swings?

- Bodd

Sword spec has an internal CD of 6seconds now... its the worst of the 3 specs. You'd be better off with maces or axes one would think.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Quote Originally Posted by klor View Post
    Sword spec has an internal CD of 6seconds now... its the worst of the 3 specs. You'd be better off with maces or axes one would think.
    Swords were superior damage because of the back-to-back proc chances. Removing that style of proc'ing puts Sword Spec back in line.

It's not the worst of the 3 specs. There was only a 1% chance that you'd get two procs within 6secs anyway. I'd say swords and maces are pretty much equal until further testing shows they're not.

UPDATE!!

As other people have stated above me, they're buffing Fury, but the wording of the post makes me believe that they'll leave SD @ 30% chance off of crits instead of nerfing it to the 9% from hits. Take a peek:

MMO-Champion BlueTracker - Recent Fury changes

And specifically:

We experimented with lowering the proc chance of Sudden Death, from where Arms gets a lot of its damage, but weren't happy with the result and ultimately decided to buff Fury instead.
    Let's hope!

Like serenn said on the us forum, the instead would likely refer to "nerfing arms more" so don't hold your breath

It's an ambiguous statement and Serennia has been known to be very pessimistic about changes that hurt the warrior class.

It's one of two things that will happen.

1) GC may mean that even with the nerf, they weren't happy with the change in damage for Fury being closer and decided to buff Fury at that point. In this retrospect, the 9% to hit is still there and they're simply buffing Fury.

2) GC may mean that when they saw the changes to arms even after the 9% hit change, that it was the wrong way to go so they decided to scratch all the plans and simply buff Fury. That's where a lot of arms warriors are concerned and hoping that it doesn't go it.

Let me state this much: the 9% hit is not as significant of a nerf as people are worrying about. Yes, if you have a high amount of crit, you'll see a lil less Sudden Death procs, but now, even your hits will have a chance to light it up which in turn gives you a steady percentage of chance to get SD to go off. It's a change but in no means a huge change that will drastically lower the DPS you're currently pulling off with arms.

Remember that Crits can miss. which means you might have 60% chance to crit, but you still can miss that white damage. It doesn't remove the miss chance, it just replaces the hit chance with a crit value. That's the commonly accepted view of how Blizzard's attack table is.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

+ Reply to Thread