+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taunt and PvP

Taunt and PvP

Taunt
    20 yd range
    Instant 8 sec cooldown
    Requires Defensive Stance
    Taunts the target to attack you, but has no effect if the target is already attacking you. The target does 30% less damage for the duration of taunt or until the target has attacked you 5 times.

Is basically what I posted on the WoW warrior forums. Just wanted to know what people at tankspot thought. With the new spell reflect, intervene and vigilance talents added to the prot tree. It seems prot warriors can carve a niche in Battle Grounds and future mass pvp scenarios as... well as real tanks.

in pvp scenarios this is gonna be huge "if" it works in pvp, taunt currently doesn't force the target to attack you either (although it works on pets) so it might not affect players, if it does though you better believe I'll be taunting rogues when they're damaging my healer.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Personally I don't see why it can't work as normal on other players as it does on mobs. The argument always used to be that Blizz didn't like people not having control of their characters as I understand it, but that never explained Blind, Distract, Traps, etc...
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.

You don't need taunt for players. Your "taunt" comes from you being a massive threat. Stop thinking PvE in terms of PvP and you'll come out better.

Taunt is still effective on player pets and that's where you'll use it the most. Use to break CC's, like freeze trap, blind, scatter shot, and others.

May I introduce you to safeguard?

Prior to playing WoW, I played Everquest 2 on a pvp server. At that time, I played a tank. The taunt button worked slightly different from what the OT describes. When the tank taunted a RL person in pvp, that person changed targets and faced the tank for three seconds before being able to retarget. It had a tremendous impact on the gameplay. As a tank, I often felt proud protecting my team mates in pvp in this manner. It some ways it was one of the best skills tanks had in that game. I can say, that it was quite an adjustment coming to wow pvp and not having this ability.

I agree that warriors can be a tremendous threat in pvp in WoW. It is the main reason why I switched from being a druid to a warrior in pvp. To a degree, if a Druid is in bear form, he/she can be left alone for a period of time without taking out ones team mates. But a warrior...properly geared must be dealt with.

I sit on the fence with this issue. As a warrior, I would love to have the ability back again, but I fear what it might do to game play.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Taunttastic

Quote Originally Posted by Tangogulf View Post
    ... The taunt button worked slightly different from what the OT describes. When the tank taunted a RL person in pvp, that person changed targets and faced the tank for three seconds before being able to retarget. It had a tremendous impact on the gameplay. ...
    I always thought this is how taunt should work. Even if there was no "face the tank" bit, but if it just changed their target selection, it seems like it wouldn't be a big game-changer, it would just introduce an extra skill and situational awareness requirement and keep us from having an (almost) useless ability in pvp.
    Tankity spankity.

I agree that it is the proper implementation of the ability Navan. Anything more is too much.
    I have just recently undertaken tanking in Wow. I maybe way off here, but it seems to me that in pve one of our primary purposes is to gain and hold threat; in fact, it is class defining. We switch to pvp and that class defining ability is all but eliminated.

If they added it to change the target selection that would definally be cool.. what else could be added is a debuff to the attackers target. The debuff would mitigate the dmg b/t yourself and the other player for a certain period of time... Also you could increase the timer on taunt in pvp, use it more as a oh my healer is about to get the living piss beat out of him button, so it doesn't become to op in certain situations. There are alot of cool things they could do with the taunt mechanism in pvp if you sit down and think about it.

i think it'd be too damn annoying

If a hunters feign death can drop my target off him... my taunt should force someone to look at me....

Nuff said...

Nothing is worse the snake trap feign death "you cant touch me" hunter trik

that's what I've always thought, why is it a rogue can distract and FORCE me to look somewhere else, even if just for minor inconvenience, and a hunter can FD/Trap to get me to lose target, (i mean honestly who believes a hunter goes from 80%-0 with no damage on him), only to get stuck trying to click on him, while moving, while hitting buttons. It's retarded that taunt or mocking blow can't do that for us warriors.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I guess it would be fair, but truthfully that kind of petty stuff makes me wanna bang my head against the wall in PvP, just that little small shit, like a scatter shot, doesn't last long but just long enough.

Warriors have enough tools to defend there teammates, if I get taunted just before I'm about to make a game changing blow I'm prolly gonna punch my moniter

I'll defend the current implementation as superior to several suggestions above.

Prot warriors are overflowing with defensive tools which are interesting to be the subject of. Just to take an example, if I'm a ret pally and my target gets safeguarded, I get a choice to try to push through it or switch targets. If I get disarmed, I can choose to throw heals, or stun my opponent, or just plain run away to prevent the enemy from gaining an advantage. If I get stunned I can throw Hand of Freedom in response, or maybe wait it out and save that Hand for another situation.

Implementations of taunt, and defensive abilities in general, which take control away from players to react in turn are inferior designs to those which create interesting interactions. The comparison to Feign Death needs to take into account that the point of Feign Death's design is not to force you to re-target after it drops, but to give the hunter an opportunity to trick you into thinking he's dead. The dropping of your target is secondary in the design, to enable the Feign Death to have a chance at succeeding. Taunting a player FOR the control of who he is targeting is different, and not justifiable on the basis of Feign Death being in the game.
    Last edited by Voltaik; 10-29-2008 at 11:13 AM.

What about Death Knights, are their taunts that pull the enemy towards them going to work in PvP? Seems a little OP if you ask me. Sure it might not make that target attack you, but it pulls them away from what they are attacking and brings them into melee range. Say your about to Ferocious Bite or Execute this priest that is keeping the raid alive at a node... and woof, Mr. Deathknight pulls you to him and saves the priest then starts wailing on you while that priest heals him.

Thats gonna suck.
    You do realize why the Borg are so bad at making dimmer switches don't you?
    Resistance is futile.

5 times might be abit too much, like 3 sec would be plenty, with a 8 sec cooldown and off gcd it can really be game breaking if used right by a good warrior. Maybe 10-20% dmg reduction sounds more reasonable.

First, I don't see the need for the 30% damage reduction, so I'll ignore that part of the suggestion.

In my view, taunt should have worked in PvP before 3.0, by forcing the enemy to target the warrior for 3 sec. It should have had no effect on someone who had no target, or a friendly target (such as a healer). It would fit in the game and, yes, it would be very annoying, just like other class abilities that make a player lose control of their character. Some form of diminishing returns or longer cooldown would be needed in PvE, to prevent people spamming taunt and just ruining the gameplay. Before 3.0 taunt would be one of the relatively few things that tanks could bring to PvP (even the fact that it works on pets was a big deal).

Since 3.0, tanks have a lot of value in PvP as fighters, so taunt is no longer needed as a compensation for being not so useful. It might be nice to have taunt in PvP after 3.0, but it's no longer seriously missed. Also, I think Blizzard is moving away from having so much CC in PvP and back towards straight fighting, to make the game more enjoyable, so adding taunt now would be perhaps a bit of a backward step.
    Last edited by Machus; 11-04-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: deleted stray text

i disagree about the comparison to feign death... The point of taunt is to get the attention of your target, when he is targetting something else. So make it work. Saying that feign death is different because it is tricking the opposing person into thinking they are dead is fine. My warrior will then trick the opposing player into being angry at me, the targeting can only be a secondary mechanic of the ability.

There is nothing worse than not being able to target a hunter after his trap/feign horse crap...

I really like how Warhammer's taunt mechanic worked. You gain a 30% boost to damage to the target for X seconds, or until they attack you 3 times.

This issue has been brought up time and time again all the way since before there we even battlegrounds in the game. Every time blizzard has stated it does not want to add more stuff that causes players to lose control. Yes there are fears in in the game, and other crowd control methods but there are a lot of counters to these and not all of them give a straight up loss of control.

Prot warriors already have an arsenal of tools to control battles, I really don't think they need any more right now. Arms/fury pvp has more obvious issues to worry about right now...

+ Reply to Thread