Closed Thread
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Knight AOE Spec, MT Spec and Rotations

Tanked Sarth 10 (No drakes) and Heroic UK last night as blood spec. On Sarth I had no survivability issues. I didn't seem as spiky as prior. While I noticed improved AE with the spec it is still behind Frost/Unholy for AE tanking (as expected).

Threat wise I'm curious. I wasn't super ahead on Sartharion which I wanted to be. Probably just the learning curve of a new spec.

So am I correct in saying that the blood spec should theoretically carry the most threat?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=090000000000

I am using this spec right now and I am very happy with it. The key point is, it makes the death knight less a mitigation tank and more a "druid" like tank; like i am hitting 30.5k hp unbuffed with 2 t7 pieces and most epic. Tempered Titansteel Helm and Boots tho, so that will change. Additionally I am JC and used all my 3 stam gems for +41 ones, but still Veteran of the third war is just a nice talent, Spell Deflection makes up the loss of Acclimation. I did not take Killing Machine, for I don't have Frost Strike.

The only thing I am wondering right now is whether I should rather put the point of Mark of Blood on Blood of the North to at least get a small chance of getting Death Runes. The only danger would be the chance that I get 1 Death Rune, which causes me to lose Blade Barrier, I have to use it on a Blood Strike, which would have defeated the whole purpose.

Well, if there are any serious flaws in mys spec, please tell me.

I set this spec up for All-Pupose tanking, and I don't want to get a spec for sole raid maintanking or sole AoE tanking pls.

(Elyyia on US Draenor probably not Frost Presence as usual)

I have a spec.

Try this spec monomo. Its a nice build that keeps Blade barrier up and I have no trouble holding agro. Its designed for MT OT and DPS. With the added HeartStrike hitting an additional target, Vamp Blood and the Glyph of Vamp Blood giving you around 5k extra health (like last stand) every 30 secs for 30secs, and the mitigation of frigid dreadplate and lichborne and the obliterate not consuming any diseases. Makes for great dps and great tanking. Havent seen anyone with a build like this yet.

41-23-7

The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by Wista; 01-24-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: update

I really like the idea of this spec, but it skips too many talents I REALLy like

Morbidity foremost, and I also would probably skip blood aura and take bloodworms, and I think the Spell Deflection is way more helpful than Bloddy Strikes
    - I modified your spec a bit, I mainly skipped Heart Strike for getting Morbidity, and I did some other tweaks in Blood and Frost.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Death Knight -> Talent Calculator

I might actually try this one for tonights Naxx25... not sure

Unholy specs~

I was wondering why you use Icy Touch before Plague Strike? Is that because in (most) of the specs you have Imp. IT? I read somewhere Unholy should start with PS then do IT because of something. I once knew, but don't really remember exactly what the person said. Is IT->PS for all builds (ie., unholy dps) or just for the tanking persuasion?

Quote Originally Posted by dougydecimate View Post
    Unholy specs~

I was wondering why you use Icy Touch before Plague Strike? Is that because in (most) of the specs you have Imp. IT? I read somewhere Unholy should start with PS then do IT because of something. I once knew, but don't really remember exactly what the person said. Is IT->PS for all builds (ie., unholy dps) or just for the tanking persuasion?
    My reason is for ranged, I can use IT while I am running to a target to get some inital aggro. My dps doesnt wait, neither should I.

My new spec is a Blood/Frost build. I kept most of the midigation from Frost and picked up some healing and dps talents. I really like the build. Gives me an option if I am running with undergeared healers. Made soloing even easier, less down time. I use a pretty simple rotation.

Single target
    IT > PS > BS > BS > Oblit
    BS > BS > Oblit > Oblit

I do understand that with my spec, I am losing out on some added bonus of (Frost) changing blood runes to death, or going farther into blood for some of its bigger dps'ers. My rotation and build hold up well against some of the best dps'ers. The biggest downfall that I do miss is the Death runes I got from specing more into Frost.

Question to those who skip Morbidity (especially you Blood tanks):

How well you do with AoE Tanking? Initial? Did the DPS have to wait a sec before they can unload?

I never tanked without, and i cannot imagine TPS with a extra 15sec CD for DnD... maybe i am just overusing it <shrugs> can someone clarify? Because i am looking to be a blood tank and maybe skipping Morbidity.

Well a couple post ago I was questioned on why I took Bloody Strikes and this is why. Sohcahtoa brings up the point of aoe as blood and for me and my spec with bloody strikes (60% dmg added to Pes which = aggro) it will keep the mobs on u. I even pull of the pally that I tank with in Naxx. What I do is use glyph of DnD 1st off but my rotation is lay the DnD right before the pull and IT PS Pes and if I want extra aggro I will use blood tap and blood boil. Note that I will never use DnD on pulls less then 4 as it for me is not needed. I like to keep it in case a fear pulls more adds or those sneaky pats that always catch dps in the wrong spot. For mobs 3 or less I just do the same without DnD and after i get the deseases on the targets i tab target heartstrike which will hit 2 targets thus keeping mobs on me for dps to just down any mob they so chose. I dont have any problem with holding large grps as long as dps gives me maybe a half sec lead which really isnt needed but its a buffer. Another note dont pull using death grip please use it if a mob gets away or u need to bring a caster into you killing spree. Pest with Bloody Strikes adding 60% dmg buff to pest which already has extra threat added into its mechanics = more TPS right at the get go.

Also Bloodworms are useless when it comes to Tanking as a DK they cause no threat and dont heal that much, which the healer shud be doing anyway.

Last edited by Wista; 01-25-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: update

How well you do with AoE Tanking? Initial? Did the DPS have to wait a sec before they can unload?
    Not well. It is a big mistake not to take Morbidity as a blood tank if you ask me. You lack the aoe utility of the other specs, if you want to optimize your spec for single target tanking it is not as useful. But I really wouldnt skip this one (especially for wasted points like Vicious strikes, see the first posted blood specs)

I think Bloody Strikes is essential in any blood tanking build, it is not just extra threat on pestilence but a lot of extra threat when single target tanking.

Personally I feel like Sudden Doom is not worth it to me - might be a huge mistake - but as a tank you cant really get the most use out of it any way. Guaranteed dc crit = more threat, yes. It is nice but for me it is not worth the 5 points I can better spend elsewhere.

This is the blood tanking spec I have in mind and will try and learn as soon as I feel comfortable with frost tanking to which I recently changed.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=200906050401

May change a little if I dont like OB using up my diseases.

By the way - I dont like the blood tanking specs posted in the original post. Just seems odd to waste some points and not pick up Might of Mograine and Morbidity but Vicious Strikes!? Seriously Vicious strikes. This may work as it is now but once your dps get better gear Deathstrike will not be a viable option for FU runes? Also as mentioned I will try without sudden doom. Any experienced blood tank can give me advice as to how important sudden doom really is?
    Last edited by Mufuti; 01-25-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Interesting read. I saw an inquiry to Blood Tank specs, so I thought I would put mine up.

Blood - 58/5/8

My rotation does not involve Obliterate (shock!) but rather takes the dip in damage on that swing for more Heart Strikes.

IT - PS - HS - HS - DS - HS - HS, begin again, queuing up RS as macros allow for it.

I am a little skeptical about Dancing Rune Blade not producing threat for the DK, as it has had RS added to its list of abilities, and there seems to be a jump in threat when I pop it.

This build pushes 5k tps while sleeping, and while not superb aoe threat, Tab-HS works wonders in Naxx.

Here is a spec id like some feedback on please , i meet this DK the weekend pugging a 25 man VOA the warrior in that pug couldn’t pull argo off him at all , had a chat with him and he was a MT for a raid guild on his pally but has the DK too and prefers the DK the spec he went he reckon it a very high treat spec and you won’t get many catching you on the threat meters id liek to see what you guys think of this spec ?

Quote Originally Posted by Madoxx View Post
    Here is a spec id like some feedback on please , i meet this DK the weekend pugging a 25 man VOA the warrior in that pug couldn’t pull argo off him at all , had a chat with him and he was a MT for a raid guild on his pally but has the DK too and prefers the DK the spec he went he reckon it a very high treat spec and you won’t get many catching you on the threat meters id liek to see what you guys think of this spec ?

Interesting spec. I've been looking for the frost equivalent of my current blood/unholy build > Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft <. I've used a lot of variations of the hybrid blood/unholy SS build and found it to be quite strong in all situations. Currently I have about 33.3k hp unbuffed (which isn't far off bears). You don't really lose a hell of a lot from aoe tanking and the added gain of being much better at single point threat with increased damage.

i have gone for a blood heavy build of 47/14/10
    i have no problem tanking heroics and have started in naxx with no problems.

having the rune for vamp blood makes it run for 30secs so only 30 sec cd for the 15% hp buff and 35% healing working so well. mix that with the self healing of rune tap and icebond fort + lichborne makes you damn hard to kill

Aoe tanking can be tricky but it works well, that heart strike is a cleave now.

Dk DW Tanking

This is my DK tanking Spec and is DW

Best way is to add more Expertise on gear and Hit but since Bliz didn't help DK tanking gear on Expertise and hit you always can use some Food to add more expertise and hit if you need !! Still you have the benefit from add dodge and parry and get tons of Rune Strike on target and Howling Blast on AoE pulls... 3k dmg to 5k dmg on HB whit Killing Machine up is nice too... but Rune Strike to Build threat is the most...

There are tanking epics available with both hit and expertise, as well as some that have only dodge and/or parry, though you can't get expertise on every piece in all epics. Still, you can get quite respectable values. Admittedly that made me reluctant to replace my blue tanking chest with the t7, since I'd lose a bit of defense, and a lot of expertise.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Hi i want to dps-tank as blood with frost presence on. can you tell me what you think of my build? Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I plan to just tank for my friends as we lv up through 80, maybe OT afterwards. Thanks

Truthfully Thomastasa, you can just take a nice soloing build and tank by putting on gear with high Stam and switching to Frost Presence, that's what I did. You don't have to really start worrying about proper tanking gear until you're dealing with level 80 instances (though I'd certainly pick up tanking pieces as you go and use them!).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Thank you Satorri, i was just wondering how viable my build was. seems to be working well for me now. we'll see if i'll need to respec later on.

Thomastasa you could be like me and respec once a week! Heh, went unholy now to try that out again. Love each tree for different reasons, always have a hard time settling into one.

Closed Thread