Closed Thread
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Knight AOE Spec, MT Spec and Rotations

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Coming from the unholy POV here is what I will most likely be using unless something comes up.

Max CD/Mitigation Spc Unholy Mitigation

Max single target threat Unholy Threat

Unholy OT Spec (Work in progress) Unholy OT
    Added the Max CD/Mit Spec
    Adjusted my Unholy DPS Build to Combine aspects of your single target threat build
    Waiting to add OT Specs for the time being...

I'm reading over the patch notes now... i'm really happy with most of the changes. more armor from frost presence, seperation of raise ghoul spell, no cooldown on HB. only thing i really noticed that kinda killed an "oh shit" button was the reduction of icebound fortitude. It's still usefull, but it means that using it in combination with lichborne will be key to stayin alive when your healer "accidentally" let you drop to 15% health. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Merko View Post
    On my patchwerk kill in tank/dps spec /w tank gear on my ghoul did ~187 dps over the entire fight. That is without being glyphed for the extra damage from the ghoul

Pardon the noob question, but does the dps the ghoul does generate threat for the owner or for itself? Just wondering if this is another way to add some threat to a build or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizle View Post
    Pardon the noob question, but does the dps the ghoul does generate threat for the owner or for itself? Just wondering if this is another way to add some threat to a build or not.
    I don't believe so no... its just like any other hunter, warlock, or shaman totem/pet. It generates its own threat.

Ghouls, Gargoyles, and Dancing Rune Weapons are all considered to be their own entities for threat. None will transfer threat to their owner, and so, as tanks, they're not actually a buff to any part of your tanking.

They will increase raid dps if you're worried about offering more to that, but other than that, nadda. That being said, some Unholy Knights like to use the pet-talented ghoul tanking trash and 5-mans so they can pounce-stun mobs, not a bad 1-pt value if you can use it smartly, but I do not.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I used perma pet and gargoyle only for our first 3 min patchwerk kill because we were short on dps and had 2 healers who had to respec doing pretty fail dps... I would not recommend them for progression or difficult content

So is the first post still viable, has it been edited at all since the new patch?

In the process of being updated, with the recent changes to abilities... and the recent need to fix Obliterate I haven't had much time to do much testing and analysis.

new specs have been added... testing will need to be done regarding KM procs, KM proccing off rune strike, and changes to glyphs
    Last edited by Merko; 01-22-2009 at 05:28 AM.

I respecced blood last night and since the only multirune ability for blood is OB so I had no other choice, but when I used it I still gained the 15 RP, so I'm not sure if its only broken for some people.

They hotfixed it last night at ~6PM est last night

dropping plague strike

I see a lot of people dropping plague strike off of their rotations as frost tanks. Is that viable now? I am running a variation of the KM tank spec: My frost spec Should I be dropping Plague strike? What would the new rotations look like to maximize tps and dps with KM and missing the one disease form plague strike. What major glyphs should I run to help increase my tps and dps? I'm seeing rports of 2.5k dps whiel frost tanking and I'm no where near that. My rotation picked up maybe an addtional ~300 dps with the respec. I'm hovering at the 1600 - 1700 range now.

Current rotation's are the ones for the frost section of the orignal post.

Thanks.

Heres what you can do for rotations... or use the last OBL to refresh diseases

- Remember the new OBL glyph not reducing disease benefits.

Glyphs
    1. Obliterate
    2. Icebound Fort
    3. Rune Strike or Icy Touch

ffuubb (IT)
    fuubb (BS) 1.5
    fuub (BS) 3.0
    fuu (OBL) 4.5
    u 6.0
    u 7.5
    u 9.0
    uf (OBL) 10
    d 11.5
    dd (OBL) 13
    fu (OBL) 14.5
    ... start again at 20

ffuubb (IT)
    fuubb (PS) 1.5
    fubb (BS) 3.0
    fub (BS) 4.5
    fu (OBL) 6.0
    f 10
    fu (OBL) 11.5
    d 13
    dd (OBL) 14.5
    fu (OBL) 16
    ... start again at 21.5
    Last edited by Merko; 01-22-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Basically over a 5:22.5 min fight you gain *rough math, don't have time to grind numbers atm*

No PS: (1.5s x 15) = 22.5 seconds of rotation time = 1+ rotation

PS: (PS x15 + Disease Damage x15 + Obl Increase x60 + BS increase x30)
    Last edited by Merko; 01-22-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks for the first post edit, pardon the noob questions, but which of the new specs would be best for threat/dps/survivability aka raid tank, if it's possible anymore

what does pest mean
    AOE Rotation: DnD,IT,PS,PEST,BB,UB,SS,SS,PEST When Excess Runic Power is available Use Rune Strike as Runic Power Dump

Nine Button Rotation = 13.5 seconds for 15 seconds of cooldown (this gives you one extra CD per rotation for Runic Abilities such as Horn of Winter or Icebound Fortitude

DnD - Death and Decay
    IT - Icy Touch
    PS - Plague Strike
    BB - Bloodboil
    UB - Unholy Blight
    SS - Scourge Strike
    RS - Runic Strike
    BS - Blood Strike

pestilence... i'll update original post

3.08 from a Frost DK Tank point of view was simply amazing. KM proc'ing on Rune Strike's, Removal of the negative effects to glyph of obliterate. Prepatch i was running 3.5-5k tps most of the time, now i see 5-8k tps a majority of a boss fight.

How are results for other specs and are other people seeing a similar increase?

Unholy is feeling great. The fact that my aoe pulls aren't causing my framerate to bottom out was a nice start. The armor buff, applied through Bladed Armor has pushed my damage up.

With Magic Suppression I have 20% passive magic ignore, which feels great, though the AMZ nerf hurts a bit. It's a lot harder to pre-position, or use if I'm MT'ing. 10 sec duration makes it probably more reasonable for the effect, but it makes it harder to use effectively since you need to be spot on for the flashes.

I'm fairly certain there were some less obvious fixes in glitchy mechanics because overall I don't see much reason for it, but my base TPS has increased noticeably as well. I use to go between 3k (with a lack of Rune Strikes) to upwards of 6-7k when I'm MT'ing and get some good hits/crits. After the patch my running average even as when I'm not taking swings for RS has been around 3-4k, and the other night, fully stacked in a Naxx10 run, I peaked around 9k TPS for a few seconds, and was averaging 7-8k on MT fights (provided I had all my ticks stacked).

I am very interested in hearing from some sharp Blood tanks, the changes seem to be pretty major for blood, since the baseline survival value is higher, and Blood's talents now offer better traditional survival value, and the HS cleave is going to do some very nice things for group tanking.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Yeah, noob question time. I've always been a tank on my warrior but now I'm playing this DK. In your opinion, is the DK class a viable physical tanking class for single target boss threat and if so what spec could you suggest.

Closed Thread