Closed Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 LastLast

Thread: Death Knight AOE Spec, MT Spec and Rotations

What she said.

Like I said, I'm not the most qualified to answer, but Satorri is. I lurk here more than I post, and I post rarely, but weigh the advice here more than any other site for DK tanking - including elitistjerks.

I have an AOE spec that I use for trash, but I also use that same spec for my basic tanking needs. 90% of the time I use it (but might be making some changes soon, see the 3.2 post), and my other spec is purely single target, dps based threat gen. it still has Deathchill and HB for AOE snap aggro in case the offtank drops an add or something during a bossfight, but I choose to have 2 tank specs on my toon. I like tanking, If I want DPS, I use my mage. Lazy dps. eh.

Good luck with your tanking adventures! If you seach this site, Ciderhelm has some great tanking basics movies posted that can help you immensely. I've only been tanking since WoTLK, and I still learn new stuff every visit to this site.

Thx to Satorii and Goros!!!

I understand your feedback (really cleared up how certain talents / abilities are related). I will start with a build as shown on page one of this thread (most likely Frost unless you recommend another as a starter tank) and set what works best for me.

Thanks again,
    Fand

Go Frost. Once you have a solid grasp on the tools it provides (and understand the limitations of DK tanking), going unholy/blood is much easier. Frost has an ideal mix of single target, aoe & mitigation/avoidance for starting, while Blood/Unholy require more work/gear to be viable. Also, the design of Blood/Unholy talents are more specialized towards physical/magical effects, while Frost is balanced between those two.

Furthermore, with the changes in 3.2, Frost is the only solid AoE spec (IMO) via Howling Blast. This matters a lot in heroics where most players opt to AoE packs with little concern for threat, making it vital that you can sustain threat on multiple targets continuously. While Blood/Unholy can do AoE, it's pretty simple to mash HB whenever it's not on cooldown. Killing Machine and Rime procs only make HB better/free on top on all that.

Coming back

Hey guys, good job on the guide, but I noticed it said it's not yet up to date for 3.2. I'm coming back to the game and was a big lover of Frost Tanking, I was wondering what is now viable for that spec as a tank? Also I've heard that Dualwield tanking has become a bit of a hit. If anyone knows, send me a pm with link or details please

Guys, there is an up-to-date 3.2 DK tanking post in this forum already. The Frost spec at the beginning of this post is definitely out of date, and weak IMO.

Please take a look at it as it's current discussion pertains to these posts.

Helo mate : ) i want 2 start tanking from frost spec with dual w : ) so any advice ;D

Possible frost dw

Okay so I read up on the posts and the biggest issue I saw was dps and the parry factor. So playing around a bit this is what I developed as my current spec.

The World of Warcraft Armory

For single Target

IT > PS > BS > BS > OB > OB > FS(Dump)

For multi-target

DnD > HB > BB > BB > OB > OB > (carry out single target on main target)

Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback period?

Looks good, I like it.

I'd almost keep this spec x2, and glyph differently for each situation.

Glyph OB and RS on single target and HB & D&D on AOE for max effectiveness.

All in all, very good.

Any more responses?

Quote Originally Posted by csturges View Post
    Any more responses?
    Your spec seems fine. Rotations are standard. To nitpick I might go 2/3 SoB and move that point plus the deathchill point into Merciless Combat. This is not necessary whatsoever, just my personal preference.

Are you glyphing FS, OB, RS?

Additionally these questions are probably best suited for the DW tanking thread.

I would also like to add as a warning to DK tanks looking for specs:

THIS THREAD IS EXTREMELY OUTDATED. COPY THESE BUILDS AT YOUR OWN RISK. (copy any build at your own risk?)

Try Suno's Fireside Chat at elitistjerks, or better yet try concocting your own spec and post it into the HALP! forum. Please include the goals of your spec.

Frost DK Rotation

"AOE Rotation: DnD,IT,PS,PEST,HB,BB,FS,OB,HB,PEST When Excess Runic Power is available Use Frost Strike and Rune Strike as Runic Power Dumps

You can only use DnD every 2nd Rotation"

So I logged my DK again after many months of not playing. I must say I am enjoying it, also I know now why many ppl giggle when they tank as a DK.

So my build is 12/51/7( I made use of the build in this thread). I do have a problem with the rotation that I am using, the one above. It seems that with the GCD on my abilities and runes that I can only cast DnD, IT, PS, PEST, now before I can cast HB I have to w8 for for about 5 secs then only I can cast BB, FS, OB, HB, PEST. So what I am doing now to make up for this gap is to use a RD, and the only which is available is RS.

How much will the threat loss be in these few secs? Amidoingitrite?

Also can someone explain to me why in this rotation why I would use PEST before Rinse and Repeat, as it seems there is about 1 Sec of Desease left on the target I put IT, PS on the 1st time. Does this refresh Deseases on other mobs?

One more thing, I see that the Calculator that is being used in the 12/57/7 build is missing a few talents. I guess it was done before the 3.2 update. Do you mind sharing your updated frost build?
    Last edited by Pyorrhea; 09-10-2009 at 05:16 AM.

I've been tanking for a very short while with a frost build and my rotation is as follows:

DnD, IT, PS, PEST, FS, (wait 2-3secs for rune cooldown), start fresh rotation of PEST (glyphed), HB, BB, OB, FS, FS, rinse and repeat of this fresh rotation.

Current ToC 25 man / 10 man spec, where AoE is nonexistant

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

WoTN has a lot more use in heroic TotGC, Spell Deflection has it's niche. I put the 2 floater points in Runic Power just to parse how much of a DS increase I would see with the ability to constantly RP dump and not monitor it so close.
    Threat is down quite a bit without Necrosis, DC talents, Sudden Doom, but it's workable and only rough on Icehowl with bad knocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Current ToC 25 man / 10 man spec, where AoE is nonexistant

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

WoTN has a lot more use in heroic TotGC, Spell Deflection has it's niche. I put the 2 floater points in Runic Power just to parse how much of a DS increase I would see with the ability to constantly RP dump and not monitor it so close.
    Threat is down quite a bit without Necrosis, DC talents, Sudden Doom, but it's workable and only rough on Icehowl with bad knocks.
    This is what I run for 25 mans.

10 man MT build should include rune tap (your healers will be very busy). The three points from subversion and two from runic power can give you 4/4 Rune Tap and 1/3 SoB.

Quote Originally Posted by dhthomps View Post
    This is what I run for 25 mans.

10 man MT build should include rune tap (your healers will be very busy). The three points from subversion and two from runic power can give you 4/4 Rune Tap and 1/3 SoB.
    I run a threat spec as a dual and never really find Rune Tap to be worth it to respec to it. I think it's pretty overrated from an overall standpoint, just my opinion though.

Well, I have been reading a lot from you guys and browsing these forums for advice. Well, I just thought I would post here to get your advice on my spec, and toon. I have pretty much played DPS until recently, and now my guild has pretty much been wanting me to AoE tank. So, I have been trying to do what I can, and as I said, would like advice from all of you. I am linking my srmory profile and would appreciate any constructive imput. As I said, I am new to the whole tanking thing.

The World of Warcraft Armory

My rotation that I have been using is:

DnD > IT > PS > PEST > HB > BB > DS > RS > FS

Rinse and repeat.

DK80 Frost Build

Satori, could I see your latest Frost build.

I can whip something up, but I haven't been Frost Tanking since the hot TotT introduction. There are probably folks out there with better builds. There are also two veins to follow, either into dual wield tanking or 2-handers.

What were you looking for in particular?
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Many times when I would try and get into raids or groups they would say be a Frost DK. I was a blood and did quite well as solo. But could never get into a raid group. SO I decided to go with the flow an do Frost. I have picked up the talent tree that ZYGOR recommends. Did that last night.

I am duel talented where my other talent build is unholy and at first glance really like it as a replacement for my blood.

I am following your advice on not having a fixed macro for rotations. Winging it allows me to be more flexable in my attack. I am going to test the frost build out in the battle grounds. That way I am in a group with a healer and can see how things work.

Closed Thread