Closed Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Knight AOE Spec, MT Spec and Rotations

Ravenous would be good as well, I just like having the longer diseases up. In your rotation I wouldn't worry about Death Coils unless you have sudden doom and it procs. When tanking I've found Rune Strike to be the RP dump of choice.

I haven't been running my DK much in the last weeks, I've been prepping my live toons and stocking up to help speed my DK through leveling profs.

How is Rune Strike working now? What does it proc off of? Does it proc often?
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I'm in same situation. Haven't played around much on beta lately at all. Rune strike procs a ton when tanking/soloing. Goes off when you dodge or parry an attack. Big damage and tons of threat.

Semi-instant double weapon damage does not suck at all. And it's 20 RP now, so slightly more RP dump. And I agree, I don't Death Coil too frequently so I always have RP for IBF, but I'm careful not to let it to close to max. Scent of Blood can really crank up RP generation, so does using Death Rune Mastery to throw 4 quick Heart Strikes, which I can sometimes slip into rotation.

Your unholy spec fails
    - No master of ghouls? wtf?
    - No unholy aura?
    - No gargoyle?
    - Desecration?

Gargoyle and master of ghouls are blatantly easy and obvious choices for a mere 1 point each. Desecration is a massive waste of 5 talent points for any tank.

I have a question about Unholy, not necessarily tanking but general..if you are not dualwielding, I have read that necrosis and blood caked blade are wasted talents because of how little you auto attack. Any experience with that? Haven't played a DK yet but interested in trying, and wanted to know your opinions on it.

For a tank Garg and Ghoul aren't needed. Ghoul can cause issues, and Garg's rp will go for UB on multi pulls or Rune Strike on single mobs.

Desecration is alright, could be better, but it is decent at least. When its up can slow any mobs that might want to move away, plus the damage add it does.

Necrosis and BCB are better yes as DW talents. Both are all right with 2 handers though. They aren't make or break talents but decent.

I agree, on Gargoyle and Master of Ghouls. I don't keep a ghoul up while tanking, doesn't help and being able to direct it as a pet still doesn't make that smarter. Gargoyle RP can be more easily spent elsewhere, and my tanking specs are usually point starved.

I like Desecration for the dps increase, but also for the slow, it's nice for keeping runners pinned down.

You can make an argument for Necrosis being better with Dual Wielding, since you'll do a bit more white damage with smart gearing. BCB is a bit less distinct. With one 2-hander it hits less often but it hits harder, with two weapons it'll fire more often but hit much softer. I wouldn't leave them off if you're going with a 2-hander, but you can take that into account if you're trying to figure where you like your points best.

Ooooh dammit, I should get away from these posts xD
    Now I'm thinking on playing a Death Knight instead of my warr >.<กกก

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

These are tanking builds... if ghouls and gargoyles gave you a threat increase (since that is part of your job as a tank) they would be viable but at the moment like Satorri and Urrik posted previously for tanking RP is better off spent somewhere else...

Desecrate is a nice ability to have while you have an AOE crazy boomkin who just pulled aggro and your have 3 seconds until your DnD cooldown is up, but yes as future changes come to the death knight trees if you are looking to shave some points and put them elsewhere this and/or the anti magic talents maybe some of the best places to free up some talent points.

Unholy Aura...really?...yes i know Sunwell had most fights where a movement speed increase could make or break situation but blizzard has already said that do not plan on making an instance as difficult as that again and if the occasion arises in later raids in Wrath where that becomes a necessary move, then by all means take it but for early raids/heroics... i wouldn't count on it being a staple in a death knight tanks must have arsenal.

Like posts made above unholy is a great aoe tank build but a lot of the survivability in the form of avoidance comes from the frost tree and survivability in the form of stamina stacking comes from the blood tree. Every tree has its own tanking as well as dps niche however since Death Knights rely on decent DPS to for threat we will have to remind ourselves from time to time that keeping everyone alive is job 1... big numbers are nice but leave them to the rest of the raid.

and sattori, runestrike is still proc'ing all the time.
    Last edited by Merko; 10-31-2008 at 06:19 AM.

I have to disagree with your frost build.
    First, Hungering Cold is almost useless in raids. Maybe for 5mans this would be useful, but your build is labeled for raid tank so I'd skip it.

Second, blizz has said that increasing TPS will be important in later raids. More important than it was in TBC. Skipping Bladed Armor, Icy Talons and Imp IT is just plain silly. Take the points out of BOTN and ravenous dead for these. I'd rather have +600ap in naxx gear than +15% dmg to one spell[(23,000armor/180)*5=639ap]. The haste increase is also amazing, at least if you are using a 2hander. With Icy Talons and Imp IT your 3.4 speed weapon will become 2.6 speed.

The death runes aren't required either. I've had no problem with threat/abilities without them. +3% str from Ravenous Dead is nice, but doing the math it really isnt that much of an increase. with 700str*0.03=21 additional strength. Thats +5 parry rating and 42ap. Not worth 3 talent points imo.

Build: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Boss Rotation: IT>PS>Oblit>BS>BS - Rune strike/Frost strike when available and Howling Blast if Rime procs. Rinse and Repeat or Oblit>Oblit>BS>BS second rotation.

AOE Rotation: IT>PS>DnD>Pestilence>>Howling Blast>Blood Boil>etc etc.

This works very well for me.

Edit: Also, I have Rune strike macro'd to all my strikes. even then i usually have enough RP to use FS at the end of a rotation, especially if i have Blessing of Sanctuary.
    Last edited by CombatJack; 10-31-2008 at 11:38 AM.

agreeing with hungering cold, but i think imp icy talons isn't so necessary since most of ur dmg is done by styles with a 2hander.
    botn is very nice and adjuvant i think, yeah but ur right about the bladed armor, it's a pretty nice skill

edit, Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft is the build i wanna test, if i can run my betaclient x_X
    but i'm concerned about only putting 1 point in epidemic, somone has experience with this?

an answer would be nice (=
    Last edited by Aryeh; 10-31-2008 at 01:14 PM.

combat...

I do agree with your choice for putting the points in bladed armor and removing the points from as hungering cold is very situational looking back on it.

However in a raid there is an extremely large chance you will be able to count on windfury totem coming from your shaman and seeing as WF and IT don't stack those points would probably better spent in BotN...

As a ten man tank it maybe more practical since you will be loved for your haste buff if shaman are not dropping WF

*edit your math is good on the ravenous dead point drop as well and the change has been made.

1.) For putting 1 or 2 points in Epidemic it's all a matter of rotation. The thing to account for is whether or not your rotation is improved by the extra 3/6 seconds. I like my frost rotation without any simply because Icy Touch does good damage (or did anyway, I don't know if it has slipped too much with the Tundra Stalker change), and because of Rime. If you can squeeze more out of not reapplying your diseases, it's surely worth taking.

2.) If we're speaking in terms of raid buffs, then you can't make sweeping statements. Improved Icy Talons does not stack with Windfury, so having a shaman means you don't need the talent, though the 5% melee haste may be nice. The same could be said of Ebon Plague and Earth and Moon (Boomkin) or Imp Curse of Elements (Afflic Lock). You get my point.

There is a lot of swing room for different choices, though time and experience will tell what works best for you and your style.

just testet it on the beta server, i prefer
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

just switched the point from epidemic into hc, didn't need the 3 seconds extra time and hc is kinda nice in some situations (ok there aren't many of them) and a nice alternative to apply frostfever onto many targets without using an frost rune.

rotation now is: it,ps,bs,bs,ob-rp dump->it,ps,ob,ob-rp dump->

this works very well
    Last edited by Aryeh; 11-01-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    i'm confused...oh wait...maybe i'm not...

combat... you are right... just did some situational testing the imp it + icy talons

previous build blood of the north - Image of 1s - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

build with imp it + icy talons - Image of 2s - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft - will be updated for frost tanking spec

just a question:
    your testresults r without a wf totem, right?
    so if i have a shaman dropping this, i don't need to skill icy talons. or?
    i'm confused...oh wait...maybe i'm not...

Correct, these numbers are completely unbuffed... if you have a shaman dropping windfury you would see bigger tps gains by picking up the blood of the north.

As you can see from the recount data...

with IT and imp IT you see more of your base damage coming from white damage,
    however when you pick up blood of the north you will see a larger amount of damage come from obliterates...

a WF totem + blood of the north build will give you the best overall numbers.
    Last edited by Merko; 11-02-2008 at 06:04 PM.

had another DK tank app to my guild... if you were told this is the spec for a "main tank" blood spec, what would this tell you about the player and there understanding of a class?

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I'm posting this because i want to see some thoughts and opinions and make sure i'm not bias

I would say he should have 5 points in Toughness and possibly 3 in Icy.

Closed Thread