+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally threat?

Pally threat?

Getting threat as a pally pre 3.1 was pretty simple. You get spelldam, you get more threat>? Where do we get it from now? dps? i can pull out the kings defender with no enchant on it and still have threat through the roof simmilar to my hammer of judgment with +40(which is taking up bag space since my gavel of naru blessings is more powerful with the old healing enchant on it).

At this stage, i havnt found anyone that can get near my threat and im usually close to top on dps now. mind you nagrand is a very nooby and dead realm ( why i came here is dont know) SO, is it all the threat from DPS now?

thanks.

All tank threat scales from damage now (more accurately, AP) regardless of class.
    Pallies still get a decent benefit from Spell Power, but mostly via passive means.

And to clarify, patch 3.1 has not been released yet. We are on 3.0.2
    =p
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

I've been wondering the same thing. With raids being so crazy easy now, what stats should I switch out for more damage? Stacking stam is pretty easy - thats some more spellpower. Or should I look to melee gear with attack power on it?

Anyone know where I can get the AP and SP coefficients for paladin tanking spells?

Also in regards to itemization, I know there's another post about what stats are important for warriors. On my paladin, I'm sacrificing a lot of stam and other stats to get uncrittable. Pre-3.0.2 I used def for that, since that also helps in becoming uncrushable. With crushability out of the picture now, I'm looking at using resilience instead. By using PVP gear (like the Merciless Gladiator's Lamellar Shoulders instead of my crappy Spaulders of the Righteous) I gain lots of stam and lots of threat and maintain my uncrittability status. Plus, since resilience rating reduces crit chance more than def does, I can free up other slots (switch out Mark of the Ravenguard for Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve for example). My gear isn't that great (just 2 pieces of T4) but focusing on the right stats can really help.

Most Paladin attacks scale equally with Spellpower and Attack Power. The exceptions are Hammer of the Righteous (which scales indirectly with attack power only) and Shield of Righteousness (which only scales with Block Value).

Basically, just pretend you're a Warrior.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Basically, just pretend you're a Warrior.
    You can pretend, but you'll never achieve true greatness.
    I. Am. Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by mero12513 View Post
    Thank god. The smell would be horrible.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by mero12513 View Post
    We know, that is why we are settling for warrior instead.

I did a quick non-scientific test the other day. My pally is pretty poorly geared, but I tried swapping Core of Ar'kelos for Oshu'gun Relic - Item - World of Warcraft and continued about my business questing. It slightly increased my HotR damage, as expected, but it reduced all my other damage sources by a distinct amount, Avenger's Shield, Hammer of Justice, and Judgments, and my small spell damage bits by a small amount.

I'm currently suspecting that the AP benefit is not universal or true at all levels, but I can't say so with any real authority because a lot of my gear is not what I'd like it to be.

I'd like to figure out a good relation between the two though so I can select gear carefully as I fix my gear up. My old pre-3.0 leveling gear was stacked heavily with spell power.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

After spell scale with both ap and sd now. Use a Tanking Weapon with good dps and you will be fine. Kings Defender is a good start if you have one lying around.

your skills scale with AP and SP (spellpower).
    your HotR only scales with weapon-dmg, so the caster-weps fall way behind "real"tankin-weps in cases of smaller groups to tank.

if you have to tank groups of 4 or more creatures, the caster-weps become superior again, just because of that high amount of SP on them.

image a weapon with >200strength on it, enchanted with 40/43str, that wep with that enchant would clearly top every caster-wep but you only have weps with some points of str, and an enchant that gives you 20str.

at the end: a lot of opponents: caster-wep, 1-3 or 4 opponents: tank-weps.

In fact I don't know if this counts for level 80, too but for level 70 it does.

Has anyone found coefficients for comparing value though?

I know Spell power != AP on point to point comparisons, I don't know what the exact relationship is, or for that matter if there are varying AP or SP coefficients for different moves (other than HotR of course).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Well there won't be an exact comparison because it will depend on your stats like hit and expertise. Those will affect how often your abilities land differently on the different abilities.

If you want individual coefficients, there is a post at EJ about WotLK paladin stuff. A table is listed in the OP there, though I don't think it has the latests judgement changes (the 20% nerf)

+ Reply to Thread