+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow weapons now for tanking in patch 3?

Slow weapons now for tanking in patch 3?

Hey guys, I used to use fast weapons in order to generate more threat on single and multiple targets. Currently I use a Quickening Blade of the Prince for my threat weapon and I'm wondering if I should just use Vanir's Right Fist Of Brutality because threat and multiple targets are no longer an issue, and therefore dps may as well increase. What do you all think?

Nothing changed that made slow weapons better than fast weapons. You have a lot more rage to work with, so that leans in favor of fast.

spam heroic strike moar.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

You're right more heroic strikes will increase the dps I guess. I guess I need to sit down and work out how much extra dps compared to the difference in weapon speed and therefore how much extra of a dps increase a slow weapon needs to be to be worth it.

Being able to spam heroic strike all the time though makes me want to use a slow weapon just to be lazy though :-p

Ok so I did the math and ignoring devastate and assuming you can spam HS every strike I found that you need a surprisingly large amount more dps on a slow weapon to make up for the lack of heroic strike. If you had about 1500 AP you would need about 165dps on a 2.5 speed weapon to be equivalent to the 1.5speed 92dps weapon. If you increase AP to 2500 then you'd be talking about 187dps.

I was feeling lazy and didn't want to think about devestate but now I added that in too:

1500AP - 2.5speed weapon needs 135dps to outpace the Quickening Blade
    2500AP - 2.5 speed weapon needs 147 dps to outpace the Quickening Blade

In fact the quickening blade always does more damage than vanir's fist

Things I assumed:

- Devestating every 3s i.e. shield slam, revenge, dev, dev cycle - note that this is conservative - devestate will be used less due to ss procs
    - Crit chance of devestate was the same as heroic strike i.e. sword & board vs incite cancel each other out for the math.
    - Enough rage to spam heroic strike

P.S. how do you link items on here?

I liked a slower weapon at first better with spamming Devastate for S&B and just the better damage Devastate does in general with harder hitting weapons. With the glyphs and revenge proc'ing S&B too I don't think a slow 1hander is as good even in DPS gear which is where it really shined. Glyphs make it very desirable to keep the Revenge -> Heroic Strike synergy going as much as you can.

Yeah I hear you, I find myself devestating much less than I used too. I just wish I didn't have to mindlessly push heroic strike every 1.5s on top of my gcd - I guess I could make a macro for each of shield slam, revenge and devestate to cast heroic strike after each of those so that effectively I only push one button every gcd. Then I just override it with cleave whenever I want to do that.

Oh the other thing is, as we have so much rage now I'm wondering whether to just drop focused rage too. Glyph of revenge effectively could be changed for something else too once we have access to higher level glyphs, maybe the glyph of devestate would be good as we're devestating less?

I actually came to the other line of thinking re: weapon speeds. Is it time to use the daggers? The edge of oppression( 1.3 + haste) is the fastest weapon I currently have access to.

The threat moves we have are
    non-normalized: heroic strike / cleave
    non-weapon based: tc, ss, rev, sw, cb
    normalized: devastate

We really don't care about that 1.7 versus 2.4 coefficient anymore do we? Course I'm not sure I could bring myself to train a dagger to use...

I'm having a ball with the Moroes dagger. Lots of S&B procs, lots of HS. Also, with a faster weapon, white misses early don't hurt as much.

I didn't think daggers were tank weapons....

Anyways, the slow weapons with defense stats we are seeing in beta are likely going to be defaulted to paladins and dual wielding death knights since they dont have HS and many of their threat moves require higher damage weapon strikes. Warriors will definitely still want fast weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rid View Post
    Yeah I hear you, I find myself devestating much less than I used too. I just wish I didn't have to mindlessly push heroic strike every 1.5s on top of my gcd - I guess I could make a macro for each of shield slam, revenge and devestate to cast heroic strike after each of those so that effectively I only push one button every gcd. Then I just override it with cleave whenever I want to do that.

All you probably need is a macro for Dev/HS. Be sure to write the HS queue first. I've found that in heroics I'm spending rage very efficiently with just this macro. I suppose in very high end raiding you could apply the macro to SS and Rev. Only problem is the macros make it difficult to know when Rev. or SS are actually available, unless you hotbar the real icons somewhere you can see them. Cleave still seems like a waste to me. I'd rather tab around. JMHO

+ Reply to Thread