+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot pally gearing? im confused! PLEASE help me

Prot pally gearing? im confused! PLEASE help me

I'm not a prot pally but a good friend of mine is and hes grabbing "warrior" tanking badge gear saying its more TPS than the Pally gear.

Plain and simple his TPS is very very low like 500 spell dmg and he cant hold anything.

My questions are:

1. How is Spell dmg aquired now for pallies
    2. Where is a list of the gearing from kara +

Any and all help for me to understand so i can help him out would be greatly apreciated.

thank you much

As a prot paladin you need a
    1: high DPS Mainhand.
    2: lots of STR
    3: Lots of STA

Attack power is now our primary threat stat, even though it's equal to spell power. (Avenger's shield, for example, is 7% of spell power + 7% of attack power + fixed damage = actual damage) AP, of course, is easier to get than SP thanks to new itemization. For the most part, gear for STR and STAM, and you get AP and SP from both. Then nail your rotation as best you can and you should be pretty much fine.

ok so that is a big help thank you, it also brings me to next question

What would be ideal buffs to hit pally up

All of them?

We benefit from everything. Battle shout/Might for AP... Wrath of air and Windfury: Spell haste drops our GCD because everything except hammer of the righteous is actually a spell... melee haste gets more procs...

... I don't think there's a buff that pally tanks don't get SOME sort of benefit from with the possible exception of Vigilance.

ok then lemme reword it.

For a prot pally having issues with threat atm, what would you suggest doing buff wise to help with that , his surviving fights is fine etc.. its the tps thats a major facepalm.

Um... I'm not sure it's possible to fix with buffs... Make sure he's running righteous fury, get him battle shout or blessing of might, if he himself has mana issues he needs blessing of sanctuary... um... it's probably a rotation issue or he just has NOTHING for AP and a caster mainhand.

What's his rotation look like?

ok then lemme reword it.

For a prot pally having issues with threat atm, what would you suggest doing buff wise to help with that , his surviving fights is fine etc.. its the tps thats a major facepalm.
    Right now (post patch 3.0.2) if a pally with good enough survivability statistics is generating that kind of threat, something is really rather wrong; Is the paladin in question keeping Righteous Fury up? 500tps equates to around 270dps. What is the paladins spec? armory, maybe?

As Alent said - I'm thinking incorrect rotation.
    Look for Lore's post regarding new Pally changes. I think it's refered to as a 969 rotation now. Seemed pretty cut and dry
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

Well I did have him look at the rotation and he said thats about same he was doin and has since switched it up.

Big problem imo is he went for like I said Badge gear that was Warrior gear not the pally stuff.
    Pre patch were talkin 200 SP if that.

TPS was like low.. real low.

he said come patch I get more SP based on health so the warrior gear is good. I didn't think that sounded right.
    Patch comes and hes now at about 500 SP.

TPS still very low.

using correct seal, and rotation just gear items are not setup correctly and I'm looking for the answers so I can approach the situation without being missinformed.

I really do apreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Can we get an armory on this poor kid?

Taking a quick look at the armory....
    Weapon has really low DPS. The old spell damage prot pally tanking weapons should be replaced with your more common warrior tanking weapons (King's Defender, Brutalizer, etc.)

A lot of his gear hasn't seen the changes towards +str itemisation that other bits have (Faceguard, Boots of Elusion, Iron Gauntlets). He has a lot of warrior items with block value, which isn't a great stat for paladin threat (pre level 75 and ShoR). He should max out 1h spec to boost his threat and drop Guarded by the Light (the mana cost reduction on ShoR is sort of irrelevent at 70). He could do with picking up Kings Defender too, I think.

My deep suspicion is that its a playstyle issue on top of that, though.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

+ Reply to Thread