+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The best skill rotation

The best skill rotation

For the coming patch 3.0, whats the best skill rotation for prot warrior?

There is lots of info about this already lingering but it's no longer a rotation, but a priority list.

Here's your priorities:

1) Sword and Board Proc'd Shield Slam (it's free, why not)
    2) revenge
    3) Shield Slam
    4) devastate

Queue heroic strike whenever above 50 rage. For aoe feel free to mix in Tclap and Shockwave.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

This is on the front page....
    Basically it won't be a "rotation" anymore - it will be a priority

Read Cider's post for more
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f64/4...day-guide.html
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

thanks alot for the info guys

Not sure how much it will help but I had a quick loot at this on the beta out of curiosity.

Grinding I used:-

Charge, S-Slam, (Revenge if procced),Shockwave, usually a Devastate (linked HS with rage),S-Slam/Revenge if procced as mentioned, and usually something to fill the last hit in Cleave/Devastate and the mob was dead.

As mentioned the main thing is the procs - Slam is a freebie and more critically as the dev's wanted revenge when procced is a massive hit, that pretty much relegates devastate as a filler/basic debuff until the next proc.

Slam, Revenge, Devastate (I usually bolt a HS onto it), SW/TC (situational/CD) and wait for procs looks like the main monkey buttons to mash, should be a bit easier tanking rather than grinding with the extra rage to play with.

It was just a quick look, mainly due to bongos having a fit and going back to bartender on live and just having a look to see what I'll need to swap around on the toolbars. Revenge does look alot more important than it currently is, but I did find myself waiting for procs so I think our style will alter slightly as well as the use of the same abilities.

Edit.
    Heh having read the front page I could have saved myself 15 minutes, however what I want to add is it was slightly different to 2344. The filler one can be anything, and gives a bit of variation. More importantly it was fun (novelty anyway) - I press tank buttons and things die - mucho rapido with a shield..... I'm not running around spamming Dev/HS or Dev/Cleave to do the same. I do have a hunch cleave will be a bit more important as well, the glyph is ok and we are evolving beyond a few mob gimps, won't be a howler if used as a filler.
    Last edited by Dunmail; 10-14-2008 at 01:58 AM. Reason: AOE comment.
    Former TBC/LK Tank
    Waiting for Dunmail Jnr to sleep to enable online gaming.

I have glyph of revenge and heroic strike, and this is what I usually do on a pull:

Charge
    TC
    Shockwave

That holds threat for most of the time for most of the targets. I then proceed to SS and start to devastate, hitting SS whenever SnB procs. I hit revenge when its up and immediately que a heroic strike, sense its free. That's what I've done, and it hasn't failed yet. Also, I TC whenever its up, if there are still 2 or more targets. I have never lost aggro unless the dps starts before I do or something like that.

So I'll repeat what I said on the news page regarding the priority list. Revenge and SS should really be reversed in almost all situations, considering you'd have to be doing something seriously wrong at this point to find yourself rage-starved in any 25-man boss tanking situations, and I assume that when we talk about skill rotations we're talking about boss tanking in particular. For instance, I tanked gruul in a pug wearing full Sunwell gear with FAR FAR too much avoidance and was easily able to sustain a rotation of SS->rev->dev->dev (with SSs where snb allowed, obviously) for the whole fight while heroic striking without any troubles. If that doesn't represent the epitome of rage-starvation scenarios then I'm not sure what does, so really, honestly, there's no reason for revenge to be considered a priority over shield slam minus snb unless you don't have enough rage to SS and don't expect to for at least 1 global.

I never said that Revenge was priority, sorry if it looks like I did. And I was talking about 5 mans more so than raid.

Sorry if that's what I made it seem like, I guess I should reiterate that it is in fact

1) Shield Slam (SnB or not!)
    2) revenge
    3) Dev

but it's also good to note that if you have high levels of AP, and it's on your second Dev (means Shield Slam is coming up anyways so a SnB proc is only a rage thing) you want to blow Conc Blow or Shockwave since they both out threat Dev raid buffed.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread