Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: WOTLK Feral Druid Guide

I've copied my toon to the ptr.....minor loses lost 240 helath in bear form and 0.42% dodge for the new patch
    but i now have 31k armor...survival of the fittest must make up for the trinket and ring armor loss....just my opinion before any1 starts flaming me...anyways it is just the PTR to it could change
    Last edited by dynamitedean; 01-04-2009 at 02:31 AM.

"its just ptr"

It very well could just be the PTR, but correct me if I'm wrong I remember reading a blue post that we are getting an armor BOOST. Any info on this would be great!

It can be an armor boost only for undergeared druids, for example those, who don't have trinkets and necks with armor. But anyway this change adds us some flexibility, we can now use a lot more different gear without gimping our stats.

Check out my Tank spec and tell me what you think

The World of Warcraft Armory

I cant find the macros??

Not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to generate group threat on aoe pulls. I'm still a fairly new tank, was only 68 when WotLK came out and have never seen a raid on this toon. I have run some heroics, just got the dodge badge trinket (yay!) and have a few nicer pieces. Pre lich, I would tab swipe, tab swipe, because of the 3 target max. Now with no limit, I just pick the fist kill target, FF, run in with auto attack on, demo roar to grab some attention, swipe, maul (I have the glyph), swipe, swipe, maul, throw in the occasional mangle to try to proc my idol. I don't bother rotating through mobs most of the time, because I usually have their attention. But, every once in a while, someone goes crazy on the non-kill target, and it gets away from me. I'm usually good at growling it back, but my hit's a bit low, so it misses sometimes and I have to go charging after it to lacerate it back to me, meanwhile, loosing some threat to the healer on the other targets.

All in all, does it sound like this is right for aoe?

Single target, yesterday I was having some issues with an enhancement shaman who was either pulling or getting quite close on single target pulls. (His response was, 'I take pride in that' to which I thought, no more growling stuff off of you bud.) My normal routine for single target stuff, is to FF on pull, auto attack on while I run in, mangle, lacerate, lacerate, roar, mangle, start tossing in some mauls, and keep up the mangle, lacerate, lacerate routine. Am I missing something? or does this seem about right?
    I'm not a fan of charging in, as I have a holy priest and I know what it feels like to have the tank all of a sudden go out of range.

I do different things depending on the situation. In some cases, I start off with a hurricane on all the targets, switch to bear and let them all funnel to me, then I start swiping. In other cases, I might pop enrage, queue up a maul on my first target and follow with a mangle on my second target and then switch to my third target and start swiping. There are various tricks you can use.

Hate to say this, but charging in can be your best friend. It gives you time to build threat, and it stuns the target for a short while (well, on most mobs anyways).

I start with swipe followed by maul followed by swipe, tab target and throw a mangle and lacerate, swipe some more, maul, etc. etc.

Charge is your friend.

I agree about feral charge, on casters it also serves as an interrupt as stated above and that little stun that it gives off is also damage that you don't take :P

never mind this post
    Last edited by Honeyblossom; 01-15-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: found my answer
    You want to cry, you go right ahead and cry. No one here
    is going to think of you as a little girl, or a sissy-man.

Bear DPS?

is there any way that u could possibly make a bear do good dps

Thanks for this. I'll give it a whirl

I disagree with your notion that Imp. MotW is a waste; I would be more inclined to say 5/5 Furor is the waste now unless you're doing serious pvp and need to be able to count on that 10 rage/60 energy asap. When doing PvE content you can easily shift in and out until you get the 10 rage (or enrage and let it tick up before engaging), and the 60 energy is a nonissue for DPS since powershifting is no longer viable. Coupled with the new energy mechanics it just isn't necessary.

Meanwhile Imp. MotW gives you an additional ~15 points in your base stats, another 250 armor, and a little extra resist (but this last part probably doesn't mean much in a raid since it'll be overwritten by any resistance totem/aura iirc).

Since the context of this guide is entirely PvE-centric, it doesn't make any sense to go 5/5 Furor, not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    I disagree with your notion that Imp. MotW is a waste; I would be more inclined to say 5/5 Furor is the waste now unless you're doing serious pvp and need to be able to count on that 10 rage/60 energy asap. When doing PvE content you can easily shift in and out until you get the 10 rage (or enrage and let it tick up before engaging), and the 60 energy is a nonissue for DPS since powershifting is no longer viable. Coupled with the new energy mechanics it just isn't necessary.

Meanwhile Imp. MotW gives you an additional ~15 points in your base stats, another 250 armor, and a little extra resist (but this last part probably doesn't mean much in a raid since it'll be overwritten by any resistance totem/aura iirc).

Since the context of this guide is entirely PvE-centric, it doesn't make any sense to go 5/5 Furor, not anymore.
    Chances are that the rest of the raid would atleast contain one more druid and both balance and resto would rather take imp MotW before furor.
    You want to cry, you go right ahead and cry. No one here
    is going to think of you as a little girl, or a sissy-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyblossom View Post
    Chances are that the rest of the raid would atleast contain one more druid and both balance and resto would rather take imp MotW before furor.
    In a 25 man, sure. I wouldn't put money on that kind of guarantee in any 10 man scenario though, so it could still prove useful there, plus soloing efficiency being boosted slightly.

It would only really matter in 25 mans. 10 mans and heroics you don't really need imp motw. However, powershifting can be pretty clutch at times, and having that extra rage guaranteed also helps. Personally I also take intensity for those times in heroics where I'm rage starved and need to build aggro fast.

As far as dps goes, that full energy bar is handy when you switch from bear to cat in OT situations. It's also nice when you shift out of form to brez or innervate and come back with energy.

I like the heroic drop gear list,
    is there a guide on how to tank those particular instances/raids?

indeed i am lazy

Quote Originally Posted by Børr View Post
    I like the heroic drop gear list,
    is there a guide on how to tank those particular instances/raids?

indeed i am lazy
    1)
    /macro
    /cast Swipe
    /cast Maul

2) ???

3) epics

seriously though when i 1st hit 80 and was doing 5-10 heroics a day i never hit mangle once, just spam swiped my way through them

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    imp LOTP is a must, again ignoring my previous advice. It has not only saved my life so many times, but even in heroics i can agro 2 packs get a shield and a renew, and my priest can go run away and mine that vein back down the hall for 10 or so seconds while i hit barkskin.

The cap is 57 expertise, the talent reduces it to 47. You should not be gemming for those, threat is a non issue atm, you need to survive. Sharing rogue gear agi is amazing so usually gem shiftings or just straight solids, delicates in your DPS gear. Expertise before the softcap is rated 2:1 over hit rating, and 1:1 after that. It is one of the best stats in entire game.
    Ah, man...it is so nice to run into a druid that seems to tank like I tank and cat like I cat.

I've been saying all along that imp mangle is trash while cats all over my server pick it up. These are not cats out soloing (where it might actually be useful) either, but cats who fancy themselves raiders. I would never tell anyone how to play their class so I humbly state my opinion and go on my way, but seriously...if one is behind the target (where one should be), one should be shredding, not mangling.

Expertise right now is so nice. I'm still leaving it enchanted on bracers in spite of +40 stam. I don't come close to dying unless something really screwy goes down.

The only thing I really don't agree on is IW and OoC. I have no issues with rage at all so I only spec OoC in cat builds, where the free combo moves are nice. I also don't max naturalist, although it isn't a bad idea - one that I will probably try.

I have a tank build that allows me to still pull 2k dps in cat form so the differences in my talent are only 2/5 naturalist, no OoC (14 in resto total), no imp. mangle, I put those three in KotJ (for the kitty tiger's fury buff primarily, although enrage dmg bonus is nice), I take IW maxed and have three points that I throw around in BI, Shredding Attacks (for kitty - I rarely use lacerate anymore) and Rend and Tear (I always have at least 3/5 R&T, whether I max or not depends on the day and my mood, lol.) Oh, and if I want to increase my dps in cat a bit I might throw a point or two into feral aggression for the ferocious bite buff instead of spending it in one of the aforementioned spots.

I think your advice is nearly spot on. More than anything, it was nice to see someone point out the flaws of imp. mangle for cats.

Quote Originally Posted by abranor View Post
    with the zomg aoe zergfest that is wotlk dungeon content, glyphed maul w/ rend and tear is awsome.
    qft