Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: WOTLK Feral Druid Guide

Possible Meta gem

[QUOTE=Darksend;113807]Updated for 3.3

For your meta, you want the Austere Earthsiege Diamond. It takes 2 blue and a red to activate. .
    Just out of curiousity I have been playing around with Effulgent Skyflare Diamond recently instead of the Austere. I am currently running 31.9k armor with Paw up but no agi from idol and found that the 618 bonus from the Austere gem was only giving me about .5% reduction to physical. Your thoughts on if this .5% physical reduction would be better than the 2% spell reduction since magic is our more difficult type of mitigation. With ICC being as it is I'm not sure if we should be more worried about spell or physical Or just go on case by case basis
    Last edited by Rammekin; 01-02-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: mispell

updated the formatting, all the sections in the table of contents are now clickable links that take you directly to the appropriate section.

Hello,
    I have few question regarding tanking.
    I've been resto for my life and only started tanking (offtanking) recently for guild progression needs.
    Since I got very interested in tanking now I kept it even while Im not needed as tank anymore.
    I pretty much got all I needed from Darksend's video and guild and was reading a lot.
    Whats makes my biggest problem is AoE tanking (it might sound so stupid).
    Never had problems with single target tanking using Imp. Mangle rotation.
    But for example tanking trash (even in 5 man heroics) sometimes can make problem. Im not even sure if that up to me or Im just feeling bad for loosing aggro of some retards that cant even follow tanks target or watch their own treath. What could possibly I do wrong? would like to hear some more expirienced tanks on some tricks and tactics or even rotations for trash?

Also I came across one more thing that bothers me.
    Should I or should I not use macro that applys Maul to my constantly used abilities (like mangle, Swipe Lanc etc.) so I can basicaly spam Maul all time.
    Sometimes its seems okay but sometimes it doesnt becouse it can eat my rage so fast.

Thanks in advance.
    /Bone
    EU|Wildhammer|Horde|Bonemachine

Have to identical bars, one with your normal abilities with no maul macros and then a second bar with maul macros for all your abilities. I have become so used to not using macros and like the option to stop mauling when I get low on rage that I could never adjust to macros but they work for some people so the best option is just have those two identical bars.

Drood tank weapon ?

Dear Sir,

first thanks very much for the movie and guide on drood tanking and the related item lists, I now have a lot of fun with my bear!

I have quite some work to do on my stuff, and am well guided by your recommendations except on one topic:

How should I choose my bear weapon ?
    is the weapon dps important or should I look for a max feral ap ? should I look for slow weapons (I see you put a slow pole arm as bis). I know you speak a bit about weapons in the video but I am not sure I understood an actual recommendation on what to look for there (I am not a native english speaker).

Thanks again for the very helpfull work, Best Regards,

Kori
    Last edited by Korigatachi; 01-19-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spelling...

DPS = feral ap. speed means nothing

I would recommend Thick Hide as a candidate for points you could move. I believe that although it is a helpful tanking talent, it only reduces incoming damage by a small amount, and for a hybrid cat/bear spec you could afford to lose it.
    There's so much wrong here it's not funny. I guess if you're going mostly cat it'd be okay, but 10% more armor is about 3000 armor for a bear at the end of the day.

3000 armor against Festergut reduces his last dangerous swings by about 5000 damage, give or take a bit.

If you don't think that's valuable, I don't know what to tell you.

Hey was just wondering how everyone feels about the 264 feral trinket? I see dark is still rocking the corruptor idol, 220 agi at 5 stacks is more then the 150, but perhaps the up-time is less?
    Thanks

trinket = idol = costs badges = so does 4pc

getting cape next then idol last

Ah ok, well I go for the easy upgrades first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferim View Post
    Ah ok, well I go for the easy upgrades first.
    O.o

I go for the best upgrade first.

But I'm a full time tree now... =(

I'm also a relatively new bear (3 months) - coming from the laser turkey and tree worlds.

What I've found works for AOE tanking is to use lots of swipe. If you're marking (does anyone mark anymore?), hit the first mob with FFF and then sometimes I'll do a Feral Charge to get in ahead of my melee. Then I'll swipe x2 and throw up Demo Roar. Then it's about tabbing through the mobs to see where everyone is in threat using Omen. I'll queue Maul and apply Mangle to the mob where I've got the lowest threat lead and then alternate between swipe, FFF, and Mangle depending on CDs of the last 2, while queueing up Maul if I've got enough Rage.

Does that sound horribly complicated? I think AOE tanking for bears is kinda complicated, but the above has usually worked out pretty well for me. To be honest, I think Swipe alone can get you above healer aggro and if the DPS can't watch their own threat - they'll die. You can save them if you taunt, but if you've got 3 DPS yahoos, someone is probably gonna die.

So in summary:
    FFF pull
    Maul/Swipe x2
    Demo Roar
    Tab to mob with lowest threat lead and Maul/Mangle
    Maul/Swipe x2
    FFF or Maul/Mangle

If anyone has a simpler way to do it, I'd love to hear it

-myan

Quote Originally Posted by Bonemachine View Post
    Hello,
    I have few question regarding tanking.
    I've been resto for my life and only started tanking (offtanking) recently for guild progression needs.
    Since I got very interested in tanking now I kept it even while Im not needed as tank anymore.
    I pretty much got all I needed from Darksend's video and guild and was reading a lot.
    Whats makes my biggest problem is AoE tanking (it might sound so stupid).
    Never had problems with single target tanking using Imp. Mangle rotation.
    But for example tanking trash (even in 5 man heroics) sometimes can make problem. Im not even sure if that up to me or Im just feeling bad for loosing aggro of some retards that cant even follow tanks target or watch their own treath. What could possibly I do wrong? would like to hear some more expirienced tanks on some tricks and tactics or even rotations for trash?

Also I came across one more thing that bothers me.
    Should I or should I not use macro that applys Maul to my constantly used abilities (like mangle, Swipe Lanc etc.) so I can basicaly spam Maul all time.
    Sometimes its seems okay but sometimes it doesnt becouse it can eat my rage so fast.

Thanks in advance.
    /Bone
    Last edited by myankema; 02-18-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: forgot to add demo roar to summary

Well I've been using this simple macro for AoE tanking:

/cast Swipe (Bear)
    /cast !Maul

Always target the mob you have the lowest threat on.
    I never had problems with DPS taking aggro from me unless they single target dps and use cooldowns.
    Last edited by Tashia; 02-19-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myankema View Post
    Then it's about tabbing through the mobs to see where everyone is in threat using Omen. I'll queue Maul and apply Mangle to the mob where I've got the lowest threat lead...

...if the DPS can't watch their own threat - they'll die. You can save them if you taunt, but if you've got 3 DPS yahoos, someone is probably gonna die.

-myan
    As for tab targeting, I also like to throw a lacerate up on each while I'm cycling through. It's optional, but I find it helps. Otherwise, I would say this is pretty spot on. Also, I'd like to add that the place where I have the biggest problems of late is in my random dailies. This isn't so much because druid aoe tanking is hard, as it is about the second quote I included from Myan. No one from these cross server pugs cares how they are playing, who they are playing with, who they tick off, etc. Half the time they are aoeing before I even charge in. Obviously, the difficulty in aoe tanking goes up exponentially when you have dps who don't allow for any threat to be built. I usually don't even try to save these players. In raid settings, I don't run into these problems.

One final thing, I'm also really interested in thoughts on the meta question. I'm thinking I might just try out the reduction to magic. Would like to hear other thoughts.

Happy tanking!

Macro

This macro works great for me. Changes target every time I use it, the only problem being mobs in the distance will be targeted so I try to turn the group to the side or back towards the casters. My big problem has been aoe threat (5 man heroics) or loss thereof but from reading this I'm guessing I'm way off on expertise and/or working with dps cowboys in pugs.

#showtooltip
    /targetenemy
    /cast Swipe (Bear)(Rank 8)
    /cast Maul(Rank 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Tashia View Post
    Well I've been using this simple macro for AoE tanking:

/cast Swipe (Bear)
    /cast !Maul

Always target the mob you have the lowest threat on.
    I never had problems with DPS taking aggro from me unless they single target dps and use cooldowns.

I just started to Tank with my druid also... I find AoE tanking easy my rot is Swipe x3, Demo, then i switch between tab targeting with FF and Swipes. The only way I lose agro is if a DPS uses an AoE before a get a swipe or 2 off. I rarely use mangle and maul since this game is all about AoE tanking. Althought my FF is a macro with Maul.

Quote Originally Posted by lucero View Post
    As for tab targeting, I also like to throw a lacerate up on each while I'm cycling through. It's optional, but I find it helps. Otherwise, I would say this is pretty spot on. Also, I'd like to add that the place where I have the biggest problems of late is in my random dailies. This isn't so much because druid aoe tanking is hard, as it is about the second quote I included from Myan. No one from these cross server pugs cares how they are playing, who they are playing with, who they tick off, etc. Half the time they are aoeing before I even charge in. Obviously, the difficulty in aoe tanking goes up exponentially when you have dps who don't allow for any threat to be built. I usually don't even try to save these players. In raid settings, I don't run into these problems.

One final thing, I'm also really interested in thoughts on the meta question. I'm thinking I might just try out the reduction to magic. Would like to hear other thoughts.

Happy tanking!
    I don't know what kind of content you're talking about (heroics? not really a big deal, most mobs don't hurt that much - put on your cat gear, gg).
    But there is really little reason to try and have lacerate up on trash mobs. If they are going to live for more than 10s, yes, otherwise no. Every lacerate you use is a GCD that could've been spent on swipe, which is the only way you will keep 5+ mobs on you. If a dps is focus firing a specific target (e.g. about to peel), tab to it - or if you use a mod that shows you aggro via nameplates (TidyPlates/Threat plates, i swear best tanking addon i've downloaded ever), and [taunt]/maul/mangle/FFF it, keep spamming swipe and tab to other ones to keep maul rotated around. Lacerate is good for mobs that will be up for some time, to both proc the 264 idol if you have it and get some bonus maul dmg in there. But for most trash (e.g. ICC) I hardly ever bother with lacerate, except the token one or two for idol procs.

speaking of the 264 idol - it is much better for few or single target fights, but is inconvenient for said trash because of the reliance on lacerate/rake ticks. I'd def get it though, maybe after 4pc and belt/cloak.

I'm not so sure the magic meta is all that useful tbh. For example: Sindragosa will frost breath you for 63k (with 10 or stacks of buffet on, consider a case where the OT is slow in getting his debuff off or dps screwed up on the ice block etc.). 2% of 63k is only around 1200 dmg reduction. Barkskin (20%) is about 12k reduction in contrast, and enrage (12%) is another 6k in addition. QED, the meta reduction is pallsy in comparison to using actual cooldowns. If anything I would even consider a couple polar pieces for this fight if it comes down to it; ideally this fight is won by bringing smart dps and/or dk tanks (wtf nerf AMS ).

I dont get it somehow about the rotations

Someone please direct me to a rotation quote ?

or a MAcro contains the Cast sequence ?

Rotations for what? A single mob/boss I like FFF, Charge w/ Maul, Mangle, Lac, Lac, Mangle, Lac, Lac, Lac, Mangle, FFF (keep maul queued with more than 40 rage during this whole time). At this point it is much like kitty, a priority system, Keep Lacerate at 5 stacks, keep Mangle on CD, keep FFF on CD, again keep Maul queued with more than 40 rage. For trash I charge and spam swipe. If one is going to run off tab to it, queue a Maul, then Mangle, FFF, queue another Maul and continue swiping.

Please keep in mind this is how I like to run and some may disagree. If someone here has an idea on how I could improve this I would love the inut as every once in a while when I am grouped with someone who outgears me (i.e. a 6.2k GS mage) I have some trouble holding all mobs on trash pulls.
    Last edited by geeksbsmrt; 05-14-2010 at 06:16 AM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by geeksbsmrt View Post
    Rotations for what? A single mob/boss I like FFF, Charge w/ Maul, Mangle, Lac, Lac, Mangle, Lac, Lac, Lac, Mangle, FFF (keep maul queued with more than 40 rage during this whole time). At this point it is much like kitty, a priority system, Keep Lacerate at 5 stacks, keep Mangle on CD, keep FFF on CD, again keep Maul queued with more than 40 rage. For trash I charge and spam swipe. If one is going to run off tab to it, queue a Maul, then Mangle, FFF, queue another Maul and continue swiping.

Please keep in mind this is how I like to run and some may disagree. If someone here has an idea on how I could improve this I would love the inut as every once in a while when I am grouped with someone who outgears me (i.e. a 6.2k GS mage) I have some trouble holding all mobs on trash pulls.
    if you are having rage-gen issues, put on some cat gear. geared dps will often pull off anyway, especially if they don't give any delay for swipes to land. In the case of aoe packs i tend to try and fixate on the melee since they are more likely to one/two-shot a dps than a loose caster. Either way a dead dps only ever has themselves to blame if they peel off you and die.

P.S. try to get your 4pc asap and drop 2 points in furor and one in Primal Precision to get 3/3 KotJ. Use it as a 'win' button just before large swipe packs.