Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: WOTLK Feral Druid Guide

ok i need abit of help here.....i got rawr but i'm not to sure what i'm looking at...I've inputted all my gear in and i got all these points that its spat out a me
    now how do i knw from what it says whether i'm geared enough or not?

Quote Originally Posted by dynamitedean View Post
    ok i need abit of help here.....i got rawr but i'm not to sure what i'm looking at...I've inputted all my gear in and i got all these points that its spat out a me
    now how do i knw from what it says whether i'm geared enough or not?
    I'd recommend reading the information on RAWR at the DruidWiki site. The Druid Wiki Rawr

IMO Rend and Tear has no place in a tanking build. Threat on a single target is just not an issue right now. That is the only place that Rend and Tear would really help. Also it is not needed if you go for a hybrid build with Mangle DPS. Mangle DPS does considerable damage. A full DPS spec, using Mangle with 2T6 will do more damage than a full DPS spec with best in slot using Shred.

This is my current spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

If you want to go with more tanking, you would drop the shapeshifter talents and get Infected Wounds and two points of Tenacity or two Imp Mark. The 4% crit is really not THAT big of a DPS increase for cat. King of the Jungle is a large DPS increase and should not be dropped if you want to DPS.

Tanking stats for druid?

I have a feral druid that i use for tanking, and I also offheal when needed. I have been having a hard time just finding what stats would be recommended for beginning raids to start with an then build from there. The talent builds and descussions are great but is it possible just to get a breakdown of it all?
    What amount of agility, hp, armor, crit, dodge and expertise should a druid tank have when starting? And for a healing set what would be recommended for beginning raids? This would help me greatly. TY

Quote Originally Posted by Deathveil View Post
    I have a feral druid that i use for tanking, and I also offheal when needed. I have been having a hard time just finding what stats would be recommended for beginning raids to start with an then build from there. The talent builds and descussions are great but is it possible just to get a breakdown of it all?
    What amount of agility, hp, armor, crit, dodge and expertise should a druid tank have when starting? And for a healing set what would be recommended for beginning raids? This would help me greatly. TY

I've been trying to find the answer to this question myself...i found that the recommended armor on druids should be 49-50k which will give you 75% mitigation, I'm sitting at 26884 at the moment which gives me 66% mitigation I'm expecting this to drop after the next patch...apparently druids should aim for 50% dodge (honestly cant see this happening the highest i could get on rawr is 41% with all there best in slot..buffed) after which defense should be piled on (even though its not needed)...other than that there doesn't seem to be any websites that actually tell u wat u should be aiming for....If you do find something please share it around..
    Last edited by dynamitedean; 12-24-2008 at 12:26 AM.

I've been trying to find the answer to this question myself...i found that the recommended armor on druids should be 49-50k which will give you 75% mitigation, I'm sitting at 26884 at the moment which gives me 66% mitigation I'm expecting this to drop after the next patch...apparently druids should aim for 50% dodge (honestly cant see this happening the highest i could get on rawr is 41% with all there best in slot..buffed) after which defense should be piled on (even though its not needed)...other than that there doesn't seem to be any websites that actually tell u wat u should be aiming for....If you do find something please share it around..
    /scratches head... 49-50k armor starting for beginning raids???

Deathveil, if you try and gather a good deal of the gear that is listed in the "Pre-Raid Tank Gear" thread that should give you a good idea of what is expected going into raids. 27-29k Armor, 33-35% dodge, 29-31k hp, those would be my starting figures for being raid ready, but not necessarily MT ready. That is also my personal opinion, some may say more, some may say less but I'd say its a good starting point. You've never really said what your wanting to tank, are you wanting to just OT some trash or are you going to MT? If your going to OT you could probably be a little lower than that and be *ok*.

Do heroics, get best in slot from them for both bear and healing, and you'll be fine is the easy answer. Nobody likes to spoon feed people so I'd say do some more homework, the answers your looking for are out there.

There's no reasonable way to reach that amount of armor with the changes to bear armor that hit with wrath...
    Running away from the Tank got Bambi's mother killed...

Im gittin to the point where im bout to give up tryin to tank....i cant seem to find any gear to git my dodge up anymore...im max on defense and my dodge is at about 32.02% is that good enough or i need more? Im at 80 and would like to start tankin heroics and 10 mans but i dont see that happening thanks for any input....maybe some tips yall can give me pls to like any inscripts i can git to help me out thanx again

like i said thats what i read....i honestly thinks in crap...but anyways

I haven't seen a pure tank build yet. I would consider this a pure tank build for 5, 10 and 25 man tanking.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I have FA because it is useful in all content. It is useful in any fight where you OT in a different spot then your MT and have to be self reliant on your debuffs(Grobulus, Four Horsemen, etc...). ILOTP is a mitigation of sorts because every 6 seconds you will gain health that has been lost which can be used in all content. All other talents(NS/MS) help with threat which is NOT needed what so ever with the 50% swipe boost. All mitigation talents should be taken over any DPS/Threat building talent for a tank.

Now onto the DPS spec pre and post cat swipe.

All these talents ADD to damage. To get the most out of cat you must take all these talents. SI is a filler point that I find very useful but is not needed. If you believe one point in Thick Hide or FI is more beneficial go for it. It leaves 2 left over talents that I put in ILOTP but I could see them in NI as well.

The new swipe build will look like this and add ALL dps talents.

It takes out of SI and ILOTP and puts them into FI. You shouldn't worry about survivability. We have bear form and shadowmeld now. Quick tip, if you are pulling to much aggro use shadowmeld. It drops all aggro and then you can go crazy again.

These are pure builds, we don't NEED to be hybrids anymore. Spec for one or the other and you will see better gains.

Edit: I forgot about glyphs.

Tanking I would go with Maul, Regen and Mangle(If you have Cats they will thank you later). For minors I would go with C. Roar and Thorns, it really does help if you do quick pulls.

Dps I would go with Mangle, Rip and Rebirth(major). Rebirth is for when you bring the healer/tank back from the dead so he doesn't end up dead again right away. Serious, try it. Rebirth will save your raid more then maul/regen. For minors Dash. Dash should be obvious for when kitty charge is down. The other minors are your choice, they don't effect dps and I usually just keep my minors from tanking.
    Last edited by Kion; 12-25-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Druid tanking

Thanks guys for all the replys, this does help. I think from your input im on the right track. Right now I am mt most of the time for our heroics and 10 man raids, and so far are only doing early naxx and OS. I have about 33% dodge, my defense is at 410 with the talents, and I have 27k hp and 22k armor unbuffed. I think by going with the gear suggested that is how I am getting this up and I will just continue to get more of the gear. Thanks again.
    -Deathveil/Padanata

BTW, Dlimy, if you want to see my char, the gear I had obtained so far is pretty easy to come by and that has helped my dodge alot. Check out my armory and maybe you can get this too. Thats the only way I know to explain it. Sry if this doesnt help.
    *Note that this is not in my bear form so my dodge appears lower atm. Also, I am working on alot of expertiese gear as well and I wouldnt not change it for the world. Some peices I dont have yet that I am working on are the pants in heroic gundrak, and some more badge gear with dodge and expertiese. The World of Warcraft Armory
    -Deathveil/Padanata

/agree with Death, before I started getting tier I already had 35% dodge plus. Right now with the way I my gear I sit at 38% self-buffed. I understand that at some point that much dodge has diminishing returns and is not as beneficial. Anyone care to give me some input on that? If its too high of a percentage or not because if it is too high I can just replace some of agi gems with stam instead.
    here is my toon
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    Thank in advance!

Also, Deathviel; that is an AWFUL lot of hit rating. I don't chase after it or stack it but I threw a +hit rating enchant on my gloves (call me a nub) before that I had 46 hit rating after that enchant I got about 82 hit rating and 33 expertise. Also, with these gloves Gilt-Edged Leather Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft, if and when hit becomes and issue, those gloves put me and about 112. Again, any input?
    Last edited by Ferim; 12-30-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: forgot to link my wowarmory.

Quote Originally Posted by Melange View Post
    IMO Rend and Tear has no place in a tanking build. Threat on a single target is just not an issue right now. That is the only place that Rend and Tear would really help.
    It's a pretty big improvement to DPS and there are really no alternative talents for mitigation that you won't already have.

I've tanked every heroic and every 10 man raid (bar sartharion with drakes up), and over half of the 25 man content and this spec has worked perfectly for me. I'm sure I got every mitigation point, and maxed my threat as much as I could.

I havn't run into any threat problems because of my fairly low hit rating / expertise either. On patchwerk I sit around 5.5k TPS spiking up to 9k very occasionally (I usually have to change to just whites so I don't pull aggro, even with Vigilance up).

If anyone bothers looking at my gear I just want to make two quick comments, I do have tier 7 gloves but those quest blue hands are better then tier 7 by far for survivability, about the same on mitigation (depending how you gem the t7), and not terribly far behind on threat either (i.e. VERY recommended). Also, the neck I'm currently wearing is only in use until the upcoming armour change, after which I'll change to the Chained Military Gorget

Armour should be stacked on everything until the patch is out. However, don't run heroics for it, run heroics for the best gear for the upcoming armour change.

Rawr is also amazingly helpful. If you change the filter so that it doesn't show gear that you aren't progressed enough to get yet, you can see what gear you can get that will benefit you the most (change to Direct Upgrade option instead of a specific slot).

Again, armour > everything for now.

k so i just got back from a 2 week vacation, i am currently working on the gear guide but since is was written specifically for after the patch i have been holding out of finishing it because of RL things and leveling my alt.

that guide i plan to release as a section of my second edition feral guide once the patch hits.

now to address some of the questions since ive been gone:

Quote Originally Posted by Melange View Post
    IMO Rend and Tear has no place in a tanking build. Threat on a single target is just not an issue right now. That is the only place that Rend and Tear would really help. Also it is not needed if you go for a hybrid build with Mangle DPS. Mangle DPS does considerable damage. A full DPS spec, using Mangle with 2T6 will do more damage than a full DPS spec with best in slot using Shred.

This is my current spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

If you want to go with more tanking, you would drop the shapeshifter talents and get Infected Wounds and two points of Tenacity or two Imp Mark. The 4% crit is really not THAT big of a DPS increase for cat. King of the Jungle is a large DPS increase and should not be dropped if you want to DPS.
    if maul is more than 40% of your total damage than rend and tear is your single best threat talent per point. also, i am not sure what level of progression you are at, but threat on single target can defiantly still be an issue. in my current tanking gear i have 94 hit rating and 39 expertise including primal precision, when the patch hits allowing me to drop my armor cape neck ring and trinkets, i will still have the same ammount of armor i have now, and 190 hit rating and 50 expertise, as well as gain 300 more ap. if your DPS is geared in full 25 man gear, they can still catch you on threat

remember, not everyone has access to 2t6 so suggesting building a spec around that is not very helpful. also, do you have math to support your statement that mangle is more DPS, because everything i have raid states the opposite, in fact, i have read so far as even with imp mangle and no shredding attacks (60 energy shreds) that a shred rotation is still better DPS.

that aside the build you posted is a VERY STRONG spec if you do not need infected wounds, i would still take the points in rend and tear over MSS though.

50Kish is the armor cap, but as for needing that to start heroics, sorry but that information is just wrong, i have full 25 man gear and i only sit at 32K unbuffed, i can get to 37K by changing one trinket but no higher than that.

also i have no idea where 50% dodge comes from, i only have 37 in bear form unbuffed.

defense is useless, if it is on the gear then fine, but never ever gem for it.

I just went to my bank and put on all my old T6/sunwell gear. I have 22.5K hp 34% dodge and 22K armor, thats the gear i wore for the server 1st clears of all 10 mans and 25 man naxx and sarth. i am missing one of my rings so my arrmor was probably around the 25K mark but thats probably a good mark to shoot for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    I haven't seen a pure tank build yet. I would consider this a pure tank build for 5, 10 and 25 man tanking.

I have FA because it is useful in all content. It is useful in any fight where you OT in a different spot then your MT and have to be self reliant on your debuffs(Grobulus, Four Horsemen, etc...). ILOTP is a mitigation of sorts because every 6 seconds you will gain health that has been lost which can be used in all content. All other talents(NS/MS) help with threat which is NOT needed what so ever with the 50% swipe boost. All mitigation talents should be taken over any DPS/Threat building talent for a tank.
    i see where you are coming from with this spec but your logic behind it is really bad and i completely disagree with it, drop im mangle and either 2 in FI or 2 in RnT. There is absolutly no reason not to have ferocity.

Now onto the DPS spec pre and post cat swipe.

All these talents ADD to damage. To get the most out of cat you must take all these talents. SI is a filler point that I find very useful but is not needed. If you believe one point in Thick Hide or FI is more beneficial go for it. It leaves 2 left over talents that I put in ILOTP but I could see them in NI as well.
    if you would have bothered to read the original post you would see this is the exact same spec i already posted only you have 2 missing points that i put in imp LOTP

The new swipe build will look like this and add ALL dps talents.

It takes out of SI and ILOTP and puts them into FI. You shouldn't worry about survivability. We have bear form and shadowmeld now. Quick tip, if you are pulling to much aggro use shadowmeld. It drops all aggro and then you can go crazy again.
    Shadowmeld - Spell - World of Warcraft

did you miss the part about

"Any threat is restored versus enemies still in combat upon cancellation of this effect."

These are pure builds, we don't NEED to be hybrids anymore. Spec for one or the other and you will see better gains.
    This completely depends on your guild. if you are in a 25 man guild i still say the best spec (until the release dual spec) is the one i currently have

Edit: I forgot about glyphs.

Tanking I would go with Maul, Regen and Mangle(If you have Cats they will thank you later). For minors I would go with C. Roar and Thorns, it really does help if you do quick pulls.
    i know at one point i spoke down about glyph of growl, but having seen the other choices, most guilds run a trauma warrior anyway and most guilds do not run 2 ferals, there is no reason to have glyph of mangle for either bear or cat unless you only run 10 mans, and even then you still should have growl over mangle for bear.

Dps I would go with Mangle, Rip and Rebirth(major). Rebirth is for when you bring the healer/tank back from the dead so he doesn't end up dead again right away. Serious, try it. Rebirth will save your raid more then maul/regen. For minors Dash. Dash should be obvious for when kitty charge is down. The other minors are your choice, they don't effect dps and I usually just keep my minors from tanking.
    i actually had this recomendation in my second edition guide already

Quote Originally Posted by Rawf View Post
    I've tanked every heroic and every 10 man raid (bar sartharion with drakes up), and over half of the 25 man content and this spec has worked perfectly for me. I'm sure I got every mitigation point, and maxed my threat as much as I could.

I havn't run into any threat problems because of my fairly low hit rating / expertise either. On patchwerk I sit around 5.5k TPS spiking up to 9k very occasionally (I usually have to change to just whites so I don't pull aggro, even with Vigilance up).

If anyone bothers looking at my gear I just want to make two quick comments, I do have tier 7 gloves but those quest blue hands are better then tier 7 by far for survivability, about the same on mitigation (depending how you gem the t7), and not terribly far behind on threat either (i.e. VERY recommended). Also, the neck I'm currently wearing is only in use until the upcoming armour change, after which I'll change to the Chained Military Gorget

Armour should be stacked on everything until the patch is out. However, don't run heroics for it, run heroics for the best gear for the upcoming armour change.

Rawr is also amazingly helpful. If you change the filter so that it doesn't show gear that you aren't progressed enough to get yet, you can see what gear you can get that will benefit you the most (change to Direct Upgrade option instead of a specific slot).

Again, armour > everything for now.
    the key point in that "FOR NOW" as i already stated i have a second edition feral guide almost ready complete with a gear list this time writen specifically for these changes

Cool. Can't wait to read it.

Also, just picked up Valorous gloves off Archavon (lol), added a 7 agi 11 stam gem and a 18 stam LW enchant. Comparing, in bear form, to the quest blue with the same enchant (Handwraps of Preserved History), Valorous has 178 more armour (0.11% reduction in 3.0.3), 27 less stam, 2 more agi, 0.03% more dodge, 15 more AP, 1.12% more crit and 1.25% higher chance to be parried.... I really don't know which one to wear lol. I'm just wearing Valorous atm because it looks cooler. The 2 set is kinda boring too.

I don't get how Blizzard can add such an overpowered item and make it so easily obtainable.

They already nerfed them on PTR, still good if you do not have epic gloves but any epic gloves will be better than them now

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    I see where you are coming from with this spec but your logic behind it is really bad and i completely disagree with it, drop im mangle and either 2 in FI or 2 in RnT. There is absolutly no reason not to have ferocity.

This completely depends on your guild. if you are in a 25 man guild i still say the best spec (until the release dual spec) is the one i currently have

Tell me how ferocity adds to mitigation more then FA and I will pick it up for tanking. Untill then, even if situational, ill take FA over Ferocity. Druid tanks need help with aoe tanking so I personally would still take FI over a single target talent like Ferocity. I would rather take R+T because maul glyphed will add more threat to my second target to die. Still better then single target ferocity. At this point in the game, yes 25 mans, I have never been rage starved enough for that talent to matter. I could see dropping IM mangle and putting those 3 points into Ferocity but I still would maintain 5/5 FA and 3/3 FI.

For the second part of the .qoute. I said it is not NEEDED to bring a hybrid build. If you are brought as a cat one should fully spec cat. If I am brought as a tank I am fully going to spec tank. If I am brought as an OT/DPS I will spec as such. We CAN be pures and if put in the position should bring the best build for the job.

You do a very good job and your guides help out the community. I just disagree with a few points and putting those ideas out there to build further conversation.

Edit: Oh and I still use shadowmeld. Please read up on your posts before you come down on ppl as an elitist. If I am building to much threat it takes me off the targets radar and by the time I get back to dpsing my threat is effectively dumped. The reason? Re-read what shadowmeld does.
    Last edited by Kion; 01-01-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Noob question:
    I see a lot of tanking specs without Improved Mark of the Wild. Is that because you should remove the two points and dump them somewhere else for raiding?

I've done the easy cheesy raids like 10 and 25 man vault. And so far, I've come across very few druids.