+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0 Preparedness -- Your Tuesday Guide

Really nice wrap-up Cider o/

Great math from Galushi too, seems like my old SoID is going to battle again

About Xav's macro:
    Code:
    /cast Charge
    /cast Taunt
    I really liked it when he posted it on the UK speed run topic, but now that Taunt has a longer range it's still functional?
    [Tank Addict]

sorry if i sound like a noob but does this only work on tuesday or in wotlk as i used this macro and it says your in wrong stance etc, ?

It will work on Tuesday, and only if you have warbringer and are in defensive stance.
    I. Am. Warrior.

Cider what the crap, what happened to "I'm going to make a quick post and you can edit paladin stuff in later"

I'll just make a new post tomorrow or something while the servers are down
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    T5 while I'm running Kara means it really doesn't matter though Prince might be an adventure....
    Don't worry about Prince. Since crushes have been removed, he is as dangerous as a puppy and hits likes a little girl. I tanked him on PTR with my threat gear with little avoidance and never dropped below 80%. Most of the time I was completely topped off as he couldn't break through the priest's shields on me :P

And whoever said we should make mention of the change to healer moves such as earth shield and prayer of mending that gives the healer the aggro rather than the tank now is spot on. My healer who is an excellent healer got killed many times in Kara on PTR because of this.

WARNING: Tell your healers NOT to prayer of mending / earth shield you at the start of a pull, especially on AoE type pulls. It causes them to receive all aggro that used to go to you, the tank. It can be very dangerous to them as it CAN and will cause mobs to pull off you from the start.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

Wont skill that way as main tank in sunwell and will pick up other glyphs but overall very nice guide

Quote Originally Posted by Krashtork View Post
    WARNING: Tell your healers NOT to prayer of mending / earth shield you at the start of a pull
    I assume this is this only after the pull has actually occurred? I've always led off with preemptive heals/HoTs/buffs before any NPCs are aggro'd (no threat tables generated yet) to avoid initial threat, and I suspect this is still working fine.

phaze, from what I've experienced on PTR this is not working. Getting a prayer of mending / earthshield before the pull (before threat tables are generated) is going to be a bad idea for healers. Because once the pull starts, and you get hit, the prayer of mending / earth shield charge gets used up, and the aggro that comes with the usage of a charge goes directly to the healer that planted the charges on you.

This is less of a worry on boss pulls where you can safely get aggro right away, but a string of dodges, parries, or misses, could cause your healers to pull aggro and get killed. Likewise, bosses that attack rapidly such as Leo can eat up 4-5 charges very quickly and generate a heap of healer aggro right off the bat.

Honestly, in most cases it doesn't really make a difference to pre-load heals on a pull. In those rare cases that it DOES help to pre-load heals, it's better to go with a power word: shield. Also, priests are able to proc "bubbles" which act as shields similar to power word: shield by casting heals on you. You can effectively pre-load around 6k worth of shielding before you run in and get smacked. This doesn't cause healer aggro and prevents early deaths.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

I myself use the Tough Shield enchant over shield spikes for grinding and leveling. I've never much liked shield spikes, primarily because they don't increase your block value. I'll trust the other people to be better at math than I am and believe them when they say it's more damage overall, but as Tengor mentioned, shield spikes don't scale with talents and abilities, while Tough Shield certainly does. It's something to consider, anyway.

Hah, I forgot about that. Back to eating a sammich while tanking Prince!

When healing on my druid, I always preload the tank with HoTs prior to entering combat and don't get a lick of aggro. If I screw up and cast them as he's in combat, I'll get stomped but yeah.....

Anyhow, I'd also like to know about PoM and ES because the mechanic is different...IE, reactive.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

I wouldnt worry to much about the pom and earth shield cause every raid is bound to have at least a rogue or hunter, both oh whom have powerful md's. The rogues md is freaking OP as it gives us 15% extra damage too.

Exactly how much rage can I expect to be generating whilst raid tanking in 3.0.2. My primary concern is helping the healers who will have to get used to not chain chugging mana pots on every encounter (or me and my Ironshield habit). So my intent is to go after the mitigation talents (Improved Disc, Spell Reflect, 5/5 Shield Spec) and avoid more threat orientated talents like AttT, Incite and Puncture.

I imagine my guild will be working on Sunwell so at least we can see the encounters so I think I would prefer a more survival orientated approach if the threat is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Cider what the crap, what happened to "I'm going to make a quick post and you can edit paladin stuff in later"

I'll just make a new post tomorrow or something while the servers are down
    Dude why'd Ghostcrawler have to invade my frontpage news. QQ

I want to be clear on the stacking effects of Coren's Lucky Coin and the Auto-Blocker.

Are you saying you can use them both simultaneously for a 400 block value gain?

All the other Brewfest trinkets share a use effect cooldown (so like you can't use Bloodlust Brooch and Empty Mug of Direbrew at the same time), so it seems odd that they'd work differently.

I have the Brewfest trinket, and I don't want to waste badges on the Auto-Blocker when there are other badge upgrades I could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunetracy View Post
    I want to be clear on the stacking effects of Coren's Lucky Coin and the Auto-Blocker.

Are you saying you can use them both simultaneously for a 400 block value gain?

All the other Brewfest trinkets share a use effect cooldown (so like you can't use Bloodlust Brooch and Empty Mug of Direbrew at the same time), so it seems odd that they'd work differently.

I have the Brewfest trinket, and I don't want to waste badges on the Auto-Blocker when there are other badge upgrades I could get.
    Defensive Trinkets can be stacked, and SBV trinkets are considered Defensive. This has always been the case: stacking SBV trinkets has been a means of us getting our high Shield Slam records; the problem is most players didn't have access to the second trinket until now.

So, yes, they stack, which specifically means they can be burned at the same time.

yes, they stack. yes, you can use them both at the same time. some prefer to use them both at once, i like to overlap mine. hit the coin, do two slams, hit the GAB. this way youve got 6 slams with trinket power, for under "normal" trinket power, and 2 with "super" trinket power.

Hey Cider, thanks for a great and awesome post.

A little question about the macro with the 2 trinkets:
    Wouldn't it be better to activate the trinkets with Shield Block, and not with Shield Slam? This way you only use them together when SB cooldown is over, and not Shield Slam's one?
    Still trying to decide what to bind it to, SB or SS key.

Here's my two versions:
    #showtooltip Shield Block
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
    /cast Shield Block
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Show()
    /cast Shield Slam
    /startattack
    This one is for Shield Block button.

#show Shield Slam
    /use [harm,nodead,equipped:Shields] Coren's Lucky Coin
    /use [harm,nodead,equipped:Shields] Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600
    /stopcasting
    /cast [equipped:Shields] Shield Slam
    This is the SS spam button.

I think the best idea is to have the trinkets activated only with Shield Block, so I get highest slams at once, and have the Shield Slam key have a regular non-macro bind to SS.

Your thoughts?

/salute

As Shockwave is not mentioned in the single-target tanking priorities, does that mean it generates less threat per second than Devastate?

i think part of the reason is because it procs Sword n board

Quote Originally Posted by darksend View Post
    i think part of the reason is because it procs Sword n board
    this.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread