+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: From Patch to Wrath -- 3.0 Warriors & Paladins

Quote Originally Posted by loquatious View Post
    We are debating the term for the condition where we can block all (or damn near all) incoming damage so that the mobs are effictively unable to hurt us.

Uncrittable= wrong because they may be able to crit
    Unhittable is wrong because they obviously hit.

The term you are all missing is "Nigh-Invulnerable" made famous by The Tick.

Obviously you can slam him through a brik wall but he will simply dust himself off and continue to battle for justice!
    Avoidance is, technically, a form of damage reduction. However, we use Damage Reduction to specifically refer to the amount of damage reduced by Armor, because it allows us to speak more accurately about the subject matter.

The Combat Table is the reason we would use Passive Unhittable. For nearly four years, we've described a Miss, Dodge, Parry, Block, and Critical Strike as different than a Hit. So, yes, while you do take damage and are technically hit when Blocking, it is not inaccurate to refer to the process of clearing the Combat Table of Normal Hits as Passive Unhittable.

"Guaranteed Block" doesn't work in any logical way.

"Ununblockable".
    Learn to science and stop theorycrapping in its tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Avoidance is, technically, a form of damage reduction. However, we use Damage Reduction to specifically refer to the amount of damage reduced by Armor, because it allows us to speak more accurately about the subject matter.

The Combat Table is the reason we would use Passive Unhittable. For nearly four years, we've described a Miss, Dodge, Parry, Block, and Critical Strike as different than a Hit. So, yes, while you do take damage and are technically hit when Blocking, it is not inaccurate to refer to the process of clearing the Combat Table of Normal Hits as Passive Unhittable.

"Guaranteed Block" doesn't work in any logical way.
    It's not inaccurate, but it's also kind of confusing to Joe McAverage who hasn't been keeping up on theory for 4 years. At best I can see "unhittable" causing a lot of stupid arguments where someone who doesn't realize that blocks are not hits comes in and says "unhittable is impossible."

It doesn't particularly help that, for 2/4 tanks, "unhittable" means you take no melee damage at all (even though it shouldn't be possible for either to reach that state). In fact, in TBC, we used the same term to describe rogues and druids who had stacked so much avoidance that nothing would connect.

I like Norrath's suggestion - just say you pushed Hit off the attack table.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    It's not inaccurate, but it's also kind of confusing to Joe McAverage who hasn't been keeping up on theory for 4 years. At best I can see "unhittable" causing a lot of stupid arguments where someone who doesn't realize that blocks are not hits comes in and says "unhittable is impossible."

It doesn't particularly help that, for 2/4 tanks, "unhittable" means you take no melee damage at all (even though it shouldn't be possible for either to reach that state). In fact, in TBC, we used the same term to describe rogues and druids who had stacked so much avoidance that nothing would connect.

I like Norrath's suggestion - just say you pushed Hit off the attack table.
    Should we not have used the term Passive Uncrushable because not everyone read up on their theory?

Long phrases don't replace good terminology. Describing it is helpful, but not every time we ever talk about it.

MORE PODCAST!!!!

Damn work for getting in the way of me listening to the tankspot podcast...

-In reference to what "Passive Uncrushable" should now be called:

>Block

>Avoidance

Combine these and you get "Blockidance"

i.e. "I have 100 percent 'Blockidance' against all attacks"

.....yes I'm that bored =D

Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    "Ununblockable".
    /cheer

'Guaranteed Block or Better'? Still long, but related to previous incarnations, and describes the intent?

unthwackable!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Should we not have used the term Passive Uncrushable because not everyone read up on their theory?

Long phrases don't replace good terminology. Describing it is helpful, but not every time we ever talk about it.
    True. Passive uncrushable makes significantly more sense to someone who's not up on theory though; they might not understand why it works, but they know it means that you cannot be hit with a crushing blow and don't have to be actively doing anything to maintain it.

"Unhittable" is always going to sound like "I dodge and parry everything" to the uninformed.

Note that I'm not really putting forth a good alternative here, because I don't really have one. Just expressing concern.

"guaranteed block" just conjures up the right mental image tho'.

And it's every bit as accurate as "unhittable" because you're addressing the same line of the combat table. in fact it states WHERE you become "unhittable".

Anyone suggesting replacing +18 sta to shield with toughened shield enchant for 3.0? Seems like it would have good synergy with shield slam and damage shield.

But it's not a guaranteed Block. You might Dodge, You might Parry, you might be missed. Those are neither blocks =T

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

UUB (Ununblockable) -- It gets my vote

But seriously, I do agree that 'unhittable' is misleading. The idea is that we can no longer take a hit that will not be mitigated. The trick is finding a word or compact phrase to get that across. A snazzy acronym would be tops.

Complete/Comprehensive Attack Mitigation (CAM) - All attacks will receive mitigation if not avoided.

Uninterrupted/Uninterruptable Mitigation (UM) - No interruption to mitigating incoming attacks that actually land.

Uninterrupted/Uninterruptable Blocking (UB) - Focuses on the fact that all physical attacks that are not avoided, will be blocked to some degree.

Those would be my two suggestions.
    http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Vek039nilash/130018.jpg
    At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Let's just call it Paladin.

"So are you a Paladin?" "no" "lol noob"

GAoBA, Guaranteed Avoided or Blocked Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Let's just call it Paladin.

"So are you a Paladin?" "no" "lol noob"
    *$(# You P******n. Get out of here. lol

*sigh*

This thread is so Hit and Miss.

what's unhittable?

Quote Originally Posted by phaze View Post
    /cheer

'Guaranteed Block or Better'? Still long, but related to previous incarnations, and describes the intent?
    Funny I was thinking of the phrase "Block or Better" just as I was about to post too.

BoB for short?

Are you BoB?

Yes, I think a BoB trend must begin. I'm in my BoB gear, are you?

+ Reply to Thread