Thread: From Patch to Wrath -- 3.0 Warriors & Paladins

Close, I'm 269.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Also sort of sounds like "allmighty"

"Allmitigated"?

"Blocked out"?

Quote Originally Posted by Blatman View Post
    why not just go with untouchable.
    I like the idea of keeping it terse but I get images of an overpriced slappa in a signing on queue, or a chav kappaslappa kicking in your headlights whilst a copper is chatting to a colleague nearby.

In the vein of above and a bad on-line thesarus....

Uncloutable?
    Unwallopable?
    Unassailable?
    Unspankable?
    Unconkable? - two pallys playing marbles?

unjabbable

"almost as cool as Lore"

Hey, first time posting, love the site & podcast. Thought I'd drop a line to attempt a contribution to this terminology thread.

How about changing Hit to "Clean Hit" as a way to describe an attack for which nothing "special" happens (no crit, crush, block, etc)? It's just a clean hit. Thus, instead of "hit immune" we can refer to being "clean-hit immune" (hyphens optional). I've used the term in vent before, when someone asks how much damage I was taking from a boss and I wanted to distinguish what kind of event was occurring. It seemed to be pretty well understood when I said "I took a clean hit for 7k damage."

As for a short term that means "stats that work towards clean hit immunity," I like "deflection," although in my mind that only includes block and parry, excluding dodge or miss. Again, this might be more semantics than combat mechanics, but there you go. Maybe "damage modification," as a complement to "damage reduction" or the term you used in a previous podcast, "handling damage."

Does that mean we should use the term, Passive Dirty Hittable?

Haha: "The tank got one-shotted by a dirty, dirty crush." Sure, that works.

I stand by Block ++.

"passively Block ++"

Acronym: PB++

And if you're hungry: PB++Jelly

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I know what you're thinking: "Does my defense, dodge, and parry fully work on Arthas, and is it enough with the diminishing returns?"

Being that you're gambling on facing the attacks of Arthas, the most powerful being on Azeroth, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

Well, do ya, punk?

Its pb++jelly time

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Ridin' Dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Atman View Post
    As for a short term that means "stats that work towards clean hit immunity," I like "deflection," although in my mind that only includes block and parry, excluding dodge or miss.
    Again, this might be more semantics than combat mechanics, but there you go.
    That's kinda the reason I suggested it. We use avoidance to define when we're not getting hit but we don't include block in that number. Our block values should be significantly higher, and when you add in DR you are going to have (at least at first) a lot more variation than we're used to.

Since crushing blows are gone, uncrushable is no longer meaningful. What I'm trying to define as "Deflection" is how often do I take some damage (because of a block) and by inversion, how often does a full hit get me. Because thats the info that I really want to know.

Block/(block+avoidance) tells us that if it is 40/91 (rough numbers from my old uncrittable set I was working on) that 40% of the time I'll take some damage, and 9% of the time I'm catching it right in the face (I know its 11.4% but I'd expect anyone I'm discussing this with to understand 102.4%)

Once we know how much damage a given encounter puts out, we can then figure out the best gear balance for that encounter to put STDs (sudden tank deaths) off the chart (or at least to a lower percentage).

I've actually been giving this a lot of consideration and I think it would take a better mather than I am to figure it out (or at least someone who's not just an anecdotal tester) but I think if we can figure out a given bosse's dps we can put a list out with specific EH numbers so that we can gear more appropriately for specific encounters.
    I'm so tanky I get up at 5:40 in the morning.

Passive blocking

I would just say:

"Could I have that item for my passive blocking set?",
    "I'll use my passive blocking set for this gauntlet", or
    "I can passive-block, so kill the elites first".

I like "passive block"

That has the same connotation as 'guaranteed block', though.

EDIT: I vote for "BATANA"! (Blocking Attacks That Are Not Avoided)
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Avoidance of the Marmot is without a doubt the best suggestion so far.
    I. Am. Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by mero12513 View Post
    Avoidance of the Marmot is without a doubt the best suggestion so far.
    Are you passivly Marmot?

My vote is for Untouchable, I can already see the majory of tanks doing the MC Hammer slide everytime someone ask

Quote Originally Posted by hvidgaard View Post
    My vote is for Untouchable, I can already see the majory of tanks doing the MC Hammer slide everytime someone ask
    Damn it feels good to be an orc
    I. Am. Warrior.

+ Reply to Thread