+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baffled and frustrated - low tps

Baffled and frustrated - low tps

lesser geared pally's and DK's out TPS me. In my pre T7+ gear I do more TPS then in my T7+ gear even tho my stats are better. I am hoping that I"ve missed something obviously simple and not that warriors are a sub class.

I've only been tanking for about 7 months and have done well up until the past week when I've noted a loss of 2k+ TPS.

suggestions welcome. I've read the tank forums and gear...etc.. my rotation hasn't changed.

just tired atm.. I've been bumped from MT/OT down to protecting the healers which 99% of the time means I'm doing nothing. My guild is encouraging and supportive but I know I'm letting them down. I just don't know how to fix it.

Dalnoir, Whisperwind Alliance.
    ty in advance.

A link to your armory would be nice (link from forums is outdated/wrong).

I would not feel bad about a Paladin pulling more threat in Naxx. As a druid, I have trouble staying above them in Naxx because all the mobs are undead. Also, are they pulling off you before you are getting enough rage?

In what situations do you get out TPSed?

O and his armory link The World of Warcraft Armory

Boss mobs, I don't have issues with Rage as I'm generally max and hitting HS in my rotation at that time, I even add Cleave.

typical rotation depending on CD, Shield Slam, Shield Block, Revenge, Concussion Blow, improved Thunderclap, Demo shout, Stack 5 devastates and keep it refreshed, repeat.

This is the same rotation I've used since hitting 80 in WOTLK. The only changes have been gear upgrades and I dropped armed to the teeth for the deep wounds/puncture as I've read here it helps scale TPS based on TPS.

Do you have WWS log we could take a look at to see your overall ability usage during a boss fight?

One possible reason for your struggles could be that you're still in pre-wotlk mindset where max TPS was all about nailing down that rotation. Now in Wrath that has been replaced by priority system where you have list of abilities ranked by their threat value and it's all about picking the right ability for each global cooldown. Don't forget to use Shockwave and Conc. Blow whenever their cooldown is up and pay attention to Sword&Board procs.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by Crommi View Post
    Do you have WWS log we could take a look at to see your overall ability usage during a boss fight?

One possible reason for your struggles could be that you're still in pre-wotlk mindset where max TPS was all about nailing down that rotation. Now in Wrath that has been replaced by priority system where you have list of abilities ranked by their threat value and it's all about picking the right ability for each global cooldown. Don't forget to use Shockwave and Conc. Blow whenever their cooldown is up and pay attention to Sword&Board procs.
    But he did say his TPS dropped by 2k last week and not earlier. I noticed it as well in a heroic that I was doing rather low TPS. I figured that I was doing something wrong because I hadn't tanked for a week or so.

Can you let us know which are the encounters in particular?

I have yet to seen/feel much difference with my warrior in heroics for the past weeks, although there has been a widespread complaint of threat mechanics nerf in addition to the bug fix which should not affect us much in the first place.

Is there a significant drop in DPS as well? 500+? I have a habit of keeping the sunders up myself and it does not gimp our tps output that much.

Try keeping a few stats and post them here so we have more details to work with.

Until then, chin up buddy

Patchwork is a perfect example webstats: Wow Web Stats

I was MT and lost aggro to both the DK and then the pally, This was with vigilance on the pally. I was a good 2k tps rate to both..

understand I'm using the same rotation I've had for a while and used to easily do 5k+ tps on these same mobs with 25m raid buffs. My tps goes UP with my pre T7 which makes no sense as the only stat that changes significantly is I gain 2% crit which isn't much considering.

I get the feeling I'm missing a fundamental somewhere, just gotta start over and re-read everything..

this was working until very recently...like patch

ty in advance for all your support, I enjoy tanking and serving my team.

Alright sadly to say i think its your rotation thats the problem. I looked over the patchwerk fight since it is the easiest to analyze.

In the first 30 seconds of the fight alone you used only shield slam. These shield slams were not sword N board procs becuase you did not use devastate at all nor did you use revenge during the fight.

You basically need to tighten up your rotation and make sure you use revenge when its up as well. Also another problem is do not cleave on a single target boss it does not help threat at all just keep heroic strike up if rage permits it.

Your gear is fine it could use a bit more expertise to get rid of dodges but i think the problem lies in your rotation you arn't hitting your buttons fast enough. I compared my logs to yours im offtanking patchwerk so im taking hatefuls and my fight lasted 2'35 seconds while yours lasted 5'24 seconds. I used shield slam a total of 19 times and you used it only 27 while maintanking. I have to hold back becuase our DK tank isn't the greatest at out TPSing me and the druid. That still only is an 8 shield slam difference in 2 more mins of the encounter. If you look at where your total damage comes from it is heroic strike being first which is typical for warrior tanks then shield slam. You did no revenge at all. But the problem comes after that your damage shield deep wounds, retribution aura, and concussion blow did more damage than devastate. It just helps show that you are not using up your global cool downs and are waiting on shield slam or simply just ignoring every other skill and focusing on heroic strike and shield slam.

I recommend reviewing this if you like visuals http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4...-rotation.html

It will help you prioritize your skills in an order of highest threat. Make sure you are using a skill every global cooldown. From what i saw in the first 30 seconds that was not the case you only used shield block + shield slam every 6 seconds. I also noticed in your log you used rend. Im not sure what the purpose was it will not provide much threat over other abilities and it is a waste of a global cooldown.
    Last edited by Nuke; 02-07-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Ok, you nailed the issue, some of my keybindings/macro's weren't working, I double-checked everything and found missing keybindings and macro's that weren't working. I've redone them all from scratch and then did a run on HCOT... looks like I might be back

Thank you for the help. I thought I was doing all the right things but apparently wasn't due to macro/keybinding issues..

abililities like rend and cleave are just stuff when I'm max rage I do everything I can just to try and burn range/gen threat IF my other abilities aren't up. The way my macro's/keybindigns are set SB/SS/Rev/CB/Dev and zerker rage are hit everytime they are up in addition to firing my trinkets. they were broken, but good..

ty again.

Still, don't use cleave on single targets. It burns more rage for less effect than Heroic Strike. Stick to that one, it'll serve you better.

Rend belongs in with the third GCD after Shield Slam, if no Sword and Board procced on the previous two abilities... and only if Shockwave, Heroic Throw are on cooldown. (What about Thunderclap? Not sure about the relative power)

I have Imp TC so I use it after the main stuff..before I start doing rend/demo/other
    ..most often I dont' get past TC before something else is up.

edit: fixed armory link.. spelling ftw
    Last edited by Sasha; 02-07-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: to add that I had fixed my armory link

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    abililities like rend and cleave are just stuff when I'm max rage I do everything I can just to try and burn range/gen threat IF my other abilities aren't up. The way my macro's/keybindigns are set SB/SS/Rev/CB/Dev and zerker rage are hit everytime they are up in addition to firing my trinkets. they were broken, but good..
    Heroic Strike and Cleave are both next melee abilities, you can only have one up at a time. So you're best to pick which one is better for the situation, if it's a single boss cleave is a waste of rage and a melee swing.

Rend shouldn't be used at all if all your abilities are on a cool down then use devastate it does good damage and can proc a sword n board. Which will allow for more shield slams. And falerwinn explained it correctly with cleave and heroic strike.

+ Reply to Thread