+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 3.0.2 Tank Glove Enchant: 15str or 2% Threat?

Well....I don't play BC anymore and I don't know how current stats/threat/DPS etc will translate into 3.0 BC, so, I won't address it.

but....

A. Threat is such a joke in WotLK that I dominate DPSers in my full survival gear. Nobody pulls if they attack the kill target. One shield slam + shockwave + tclap = roughly 8 quintillion threat. So 2% threat is pointless.

B. Mobs hit pretty hard. I'm still in shitty gear as I havven't played much WoW lately at all, but mobs hit decently hard at entry level heroics. It is wiser to have better survival gear so that you can AoE tank everything without using CC rather then do more TPS to three targets while the 4th is CC'd.

C. 2% provides a good bit more threat then 15 strength.

No one in this threat is argueing that 15 str out threats 2% threat, but consider it this way, are you still going to gem/enchant for 102.4% avoidance in 3.0, of course your not, why, because the mechanics have changed so you dont have to. The mechanics have changed the same way for threat. I have only had one person so far in all of the ptr pull agro off me, and that was a bear druid that had 100 rage.

Hm lucky enough Maiden has been good to me, and I sport two pairs of her lovely gloves. Enough room to try stuff, but I guess +15STR will be the way to go, esp. for levelling.

And, in fact, for the new fun of actually dealing dmg. How frickin' great is that going to be? GIVE. STRENGTH.

Lucky enough there are some epic gems from heroics still in my bank. Fun fun fun!
    - Ma feet may be naked. Still enough to boot you though.
    Troll Prot Warrior (Armory) @ WarriorTanking.com

Going for 15 agility myself. Bit more avoidance never hurt since threat is not a real issue at the moment.

The way I see it, is that the 15 str while be the better enchant for general use and the 2% threat will be better when gearing for survivability to help maintain threat output. Either enchant is good, just depends on what you are using it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post
    15 STR for threat and 240 AC for mitigation.
    /signed
    my english (as my warrior) sucks.

And now is the time when I muddy the waters:
    Formula: Enchant Gloves - Spell Strike - Item - World of Warcraft

Yep, 15 Hit Rating is fairly nice for DPS and Threat.

For levelling I will probably switch between 15 Expertise Rating and 20 Hit Rating depending on what I need.

Wow, nice catch Ivan. I'll have to grab mats to stick 15 hit on my threat gloves. (and maybe for my tank gloves too!)

Going to be dropping my 2% threat enchant and going with the 240 Armor kit here. At least, for the remainder of BC. I'll be well overgeared in the other departments with all the changes that the patch brings, so I'll be regemming/reenchanting purely for EH (ZG glyph, Sapphiron enchant, 240 armor to gloves, 15 stam gems with 1 5def/7stam gem to activate def/bv% meta) over my pretty heavily avoidance-centered itemization atm for SWP in it's current state. That, of course, may change in WotLK with new gems/enchants offered and defense becoming more important to get back to crit threshold as you hit 80.
    -ItZMuRdA-

ill be going for the Glove enhancements tbh.

how does the 15 hit rating stack up as far as someone running the numbers on it. as a druid i have had 15 agi on every pair of gloves ive ever gotten, it might be time for a change especially after getting sunwell gear and lossing 70 hit rating in the past couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by darksend View Post
    how does the 15 hit rating stack up as far as someone running the numbers on it. as a druid i have had 15 agi on every pair of gloves ive ever gotten, it might be time for a change especially after getting sunwell gear and lossing 70 hit rating in the past couple months.
    All depends on your current gear. 15 hit rating if your at Zero is more valuable than if your at 140. It all depends on your current stats, I personally am very close to hit cap in current gear, adding 15 rating puts me over cap in my + hit set. Do i need to be hit capped, no, I would rather stack more Str or Armor

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    2% Threat is probably one of the least exciting glove enchants now, since it doesn't increase mitigation OR damage and tank threat is a lot less restrictive than it was in TBC.
    I would think that now our threat is so much better through damage then it would be even better, or does it only effect innate threat?

I'll probably toss 15 hit onto my Gauntlets of Enforcement just to have an extra item for a hit set, with hit being extremely scarce in mostly full Sunwell gear, but I'll still most likely be using Borderland Fortress Grips in most cases, which will have a 240 armor kit on them.
    -ItZMuRdA-

Quote Originally Posted by rustyboy View Post
    I would think that now our threat is so much better through damage then it would be even better, or does it only effect innate threat?
    It's still viable, of course, I just think that the main concern is that it's overkill in most situations. You can get some valuable EH stat like 240 armor, avoidance stat like 15 agi, or additional threat stat with more benefit to it like 15 hit or 15 str, as opposed to 2% threat that is doing you no extra good whenever you're far above anyone else on the threat meter to begin with.
    -ItZMuRdA-

Quote Originally Posted by Warwench View Post
    2% threat all the way. i dont care what the stat is, scaling > static on all stats that are important.
    However, if you're almost always 20% or more ahead of DPS on the threat meters, 2% scaling threat is not utilizing the enchant slot well. I'll be waiting until level 80 to get a feel on what is most needed given my particular tanking style and the performance of my guild members during raids. If threat is an issue, the 2% more threat is great. If threat is not an issue, I'll move to something more useful.
    http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Vek039nilash/130018.jpg
    At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

I use Bonefist Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft atm ....with the stats re-itemized Bonefist Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft with no hit...the Cenarian + hit enchant may make the most sense

It's a bit early to say that threat isn't an issue, particularly because if you've played this game long enough, then you've seen waves of instant nerfs (on our end) and buffs (on the dps end) with no warning. In this game, I think threat will always be an issue, and we should probably be prepared.

That said, have access to both and be ready to use the one that gives you benefit for your glove piece. There is no one long term solution...I mean...it's just an enchant.
    Stay strong. Stay smart. All heart.

Lets assume no nerfs anytime soon, then I am going with strength for the added damage, and I ran a bunch of instances with my ret pally friend (prenerf of pally) and I did not notice a problem with threat there, and given I suck at pvp, he wiped me all over the place in 6 secs in a duel so he is pushing out some good damage. That is if things stay the same, not saying they will but I don't foresee any issue with threat at this time. It is a personal issue, if you feel more comfortable taking the threat then go for it, if you want to get a little more out of your shield slams and overall dps then take strength.

Any thought to AGI? Gives you a little of a lot of things you want.

+ Reply to Thread