+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: 3.0.2 Tank Glove Enchant: 15str or 2% Threat?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1

    3.0.2 Tank Glove Enchant: 15str or 2% Threat?

    /discuss

  2. #2
    Or, what about armor?

    While the armor kit will only give you a couple more AP, the simple fact that we are losing so much defense and avoidance and that we are gaining enough damage and threat might mean that we do not really need the threat enchant. If we have no trouble keeping aggro, then why not ditch the threat enchant?
    Loyalty above all, except Honor.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganjdan View Post
    /discuss

    Or what about +10 stamina from leatherworking enchant?

  4. #4
    2% Threat is probably one of the least exciting glove enchants now, since it doesn't increase mitigation OR damage and tank threat is a lot less restrictive than it was in TBC.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Trondheim, Norway
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Daavos View Post
    Or what about +10 stamina from leatherworking enchant?
    240armor > 10stamina easily, unless you're at a point where you've reached 25k armor (should be about equal then)...
    check this out to calculate your own value
    AC and Stamina - TankSpot


    on topic
    I'm ditching my 2% threat enchants most likely, already seeing imba threat on the ptr, so loosing 2% of it vs gaining more BV for pure sexyness sounds hawt
    Last edited by Navlelo; 10-02-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: on topic part

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Badajoz, Spain
    Posts
    755
    15 STR for threat and 240 AC for mitigation.

    In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post
    15 STR for threat and 240 AC for mitigation.
    I don't see how 15 STR is more threat than 2% scaling threat, if the threat values that people have been reporting are accurate.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    I don't see how 15 STR is more threat than 2% scaling threat, if the threat values that people have been reporting are accurate.
    It isnt more threat, 2% threat provides more threat than 15 str, but on an avearge 10 man run i am 30% higher in threat than the next person. So i can lose 2% of the threat and pick up more SBV/AP that will give me a boost in dps/threat

    2% threat atm on ptr is just not needed its overkill

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    I don't see how 15 STR is more threat than 2% scaling threat, if the threat values that people have been reporting are accurate.
    It's not more threat, it's just more useful threat, in that it's damage and block value also.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    522
    When you say an enchant is for threat, I assumed you meant it's...for threat.

    And a scaling increase in threat is still very useful, besides the fact that we really are all talking out of our bums, since there are guaranteed to be a ton of balance changes before this is all said and done.

    When it's all said and done though, if we are doing as much TPS as people are saying, 2% is still going to be better simply because it means if sh*t hits the fan and you miss some attacks, or there are aggro wipes, or whatever, it's doing much more for you.

    Besides if I could take a enchant that would boost my already massive threat by that much I would, just so it means I can keep a better eye on things without worrying about threat. I can watch boss more accurately, or watch debuffs/buffs in certain specific fights, etc.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    When you say an enchant is for threat, I assumed you meant it's...for threat.

    And a scaling increase in threat is still very useful, besides the fact that we really are all talking out of our bums, since there are guaranteed to be a ton of balance changes before this is all said and done.

    When it's all said and done though, if we are doing as much TPS as people are saying, 2% is still going to be better simply because it means if sh*t hits the fan and you miss some attacks, or there are aggro wipes, or whatever, it's doing much more for you.

    Besides if I could take a enchant that would boost my already massive threat by that much I would, just so it means I can keep a better eye on things without worrying about threat. I can watch boss more accurately, or watch debuffs/buffs in certain specific fights, etc.
    It is for threat. It's just slightly less threat than 2%, but with more rounded benefits elsewhere.

    2% might help a little bit more when things go wrong, but it's doing absolutely nothing when things go right.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    51
    Keep in mind that the 2% threat enchant is now called "Armsman" and ALSO grants 10 parry rating.

    I'd have a hard time finding another enchant that brings more value than this now that it has been buffed with avoidance (even if it is parry).

    EDIT: ok so I just looked up more enchants for gloves...

    20 hit rating "Precision"
    15 expertise rating "Expertise"
    16 crit rating "Greater Blasting"
    44 AP "Crusher"
    Last edited by Scargoth; 10-06-2008 at 11:30 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargoth View Post
    Keep in mind that the 2% threat enchant is now called "Armsman" and ALSO grants 10 parry rating.

    I'd have a hard time finding another enchant that brings more value than this now that it has been buffed with avoidance (even if it is parry).
    That's an entirely new enchant that's not available until 435 enchanting (and thus, after Wrath release).

    Formula: Enchant Gloves - Threat - Item - World of Warcraft is still just 2% threat.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    906
    My only argument is this. If threat is not an issue, why bother picking up the str enchant when you could pick up the 2% threat then adjust other gems/enchants/gear accordingly for MUCH better mitigation/threat/armor/avoidance/whatever your gear is lacking.

    If you look at the small picture of JUST the two enchants compared, sure, 15str may be the better all around enchant, but if you look at the gear set overall, 2% threat still offers the best outcome of any of the enchants. And if threat is of no use at all, why not use 15agi over 15str? Would it not offer the best outcome?
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    That's an entirely new enchant that's not available until 435 enchanting (and thus, after Wrath release).

    Formula: Enchant Gloves - Threat - Item - World of Warcraft is still just 2% threat.
    Ahh yes, sorry to get ahead of myself there. I still plan to stick with 2% threat on my gloves until the wrath release (where I might change to expertise possibly), my guildies always find ways to ride my tail on threat. Prot warrior talents and skills may have been buffed a lot, but so have a lot of other classes.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by klor View Post
    My only argument is this. If threat is not an issue, why bother picking up the str enchant when you could pick up the 2% threat then adjust other gems/enchants/gear accordingly for MUCH better mitigation/threat/armor/avoidance/whatever your gear is lacking.

    If you look at the small picture of JUST the two enchants compared, sure, 15str may be the better all around enchant, but if you look at the gear set overall, 2% threat still offers the best outcome of any of the enchants. And if threat is of no use at all, why not use 15agi over 15str? Would it not offer the best outcome?
    Because 15 STR gives more damage, and damage is always good :P
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,908
    2% threat all the way. i dont care what the stat is, scaling > static on all stats that are important. 15 STR can be picked up anywhere, 2% threat will allow your DPS to do a lot more DPS to something than you'd be able to do with 15STR.
    Last edited by Warwench; 10-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    It is for threat. It's just slightly less threat than 2%, but with more rounded benefits elsewhere.

    2% might help a little bit more when things go wrong, but it's doing absolutely nothing when things go right.
    I think this is where we agree to disagree and then mock the Warlock who just pulled aggro and died

  19. #19
    Well, I'll say this much. As someone who has:

    1) Tanked a bunch of 5-mans in Beta
    and
    2) DPS'ed a bunch of 5-mans in Beta

    Threat has never been a real concern unless I did something dumb (ie: run into a group of mobs that hadn't made it to the tank yet and hit Divine Storm).

    Anything you're actively building threat on, DPS should not be able to pull aggro. In that situation, 2% threat does nothing at all.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,105
    I have both T4 gloves, with strength on the DPS ones and 2% threat on the tanking ones (and the latter on bonefist too). I'm seriously considering picking up the Merc Gloves and putting +15 strength on them and using them as agro gloves (for when you need crit immunity) and then as levelling gloves for quests, etc when Wrath hits (or when doing dailies in pvp-heavy areas).

    So my answer is "both"

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts