Thread: Beta 5 Man Instances: Azjol-Nerub (Major Spoilers)

Beta 5 Man Instances: Azjol-Nerub (Major Spoilers)

So last night, after struggling to make it into an instance with the world server going down every ten seconds, I finally completed the last beta 5 man to finish my quest to see them all. I decided that the new 5 mans are so fun that I would make a list of them all to say what's been on my mind for each of them. I won't give strategies per se, but bosses that offer something I felt noteworthy when compared to previous 5 mans I will give a little detail on, because I find them interesting.

Of note, I did these all on normal difficulty. Why? Because I did them all with only 3 people - a resto druid, an assassination (and later combat) rogue, and myself a protection warrior. I streamed all of them live so there's a few people that have popped in to see them that way. Hopefully I find more ideas of stuff to run and stream, since right now I don't know what to do with myself on the beta. Suggestions would be very welcomed.

Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom (73-75): This instance is pretty breath taking when you first zone in. I wish AQ40 had looked like this, because it's gorgeous. The actual instance, however, is rather long and annoying to navigate. Getting lost was pretty easy. The plus side is that you can take many shortcuts to avoid lots of trash.

The instance looks like tuned for about level 72 or 73 players, so I think it being labeled up to 75 is a bit much. The bosses were harder than I would expect in a simple non-heroic five man for the average WoW player, though. At level 72 with leveling gear I imagine this place is quite the challenge.

The first boss had a pretty interesting mechanic. He will hatch adds from eggs, and rather frequently he hatches a guardian add. When the guardian spawns, every other add and the boss becomes immune to damage... but still runs around attacking. It's interesting because other adds hatch at the same time as the guardian. So while you are killing the guardian, the new adds will likely just beat on your healer and you can't do anything about it.

Overall, a very fun place to use Shockwave... I pretty much love any boss with lots of adds nowadays. There is an achievement for this guy, "Defeat Elder Nadox in Ahn'kahet on Heroic Difficulty without killing any Ahn'kahar Guardians." I have no idea how you do that, since I couldn't see a way to damage him at all with a guardian alive.

The second boss was not very interesting except that it may just be the most annoying boss I've even had to deal with. He paralyzes someone and I am not sure if it's always the tank, but he did it to me every single time. I would only have about 5 seconds of time to hit the boss and then I'd be paralyzed for 10 seconds again. VERY annoying. The other mechanics aren't worth mentioning.

The third boss, I think, will be very hard at level 72. She will make an add walk to her and if it reaches her she enrages similar to Gluth. You can't stun or hamstring or anything, so it was a pain in the butt with only myself and one dps on them. After the first we killed them all at least so we don't look too terrible. She does an annoying knockback so I tanked her against the wall right by her... but after the add phase she ran into the wall and up the ledge and totally borked the encounter - so don't do that.

The final boss had a pretty funny trick. It seems to involve the new phasing deal. At first I thought he mind controlled my two allies. So I of course instantly killed the rogue in my party but left the healer alive, kiting him in circles, since me and the healer have killed many bosses while the rogue lay around dead and useless. But it turns out the same thing happened to them - everyone saw the other two party members as enemies. So it's some trick with phasing, and everyone just has to kill off the other party members they see. Other than that, he was uninteresting.

Overall a damned gorgeous instance with tons of trash and somewhat annoying bosses. But it was still pretty fun. I wouldn't put it on my 'yuck' list just because of the AQ-ish style.

Azjol-Nerub (72-74): This instance had a pretty cool feel to it. A theme throughout WotLK 5 mans is that they actually make the instances truly follow a theme, rather than boring BC instance looks. The instance starts off with you running through tunnels in caves and over giant cobwebs and eventually there's an awesome huge, HUGE drop you take that you'll have to see yourself to really grasp.

The first boss was so uninteresting I don't even remember his abilities, but he had a sort of mini-General Rajaxx event as part of the fight.

The second boss was something quite cool. He is a giant spider in a web, and you start on a web above him so you can just look down and watch him. There are constant swarms of other spiders that pour out of tunnels and attack him, but he's quite the badass and consistently obliterates them all. You run alongside the swarm on your way to engage him.

The downside of that cool part is that the swarm stays on him while you fight him, doing incredible damage due to their huge numbers. The boss died in under 10 seconds. After he died the swarm of spiders was still there so it was quite interesting to handle them, at least.

The third boss also goes on my 'most annoying bosses' list like in the previous instance. He summons little adds that are really pathetic and basically die to aoe, and they come in packs of one or two. But he constantly burrows underground and becomes unattackable. Probably 80% of the encounter is spent standing around waiting for him to unburrow.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

I'd like to add a short note about the last boss in Azjol-Nerub, Anub'arak..
    The encounter locks out people who aren't on the boss's 'platform', so watch out if you're clueless like me and decide to just charge & see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Turmoil View Post
    I'd like to add a short note about the last boss in Azjol-Nerub, Anub'arak..
    The encounter locks out people who aren't on the boss's 'platform', so watch out if you're clueless like me and decide to just charge & see what happens!
    That's exactly how we found out that he could be 3-manned

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    That's exactly how we found out that he could be 3-manned
    Us too.

Cept I didn't charge, I just walked in and hit him. But two of our DPS were still standing just off the edge of the round platform. So we 2 - prot warrior, resto shammy 3 manned him. wasn't too hard just took a while. Our 2 squishie DPS managed to pull a couple of the spawns out on to them some how and were eaten. Not sure how they got them to go out past the barrier.

Very cool instance, loved the whole walking on the Web thing. The spider fight is pretty fun. We were wondering if we missed a level when we did the big drop lol.