Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tanking dagger? WTH?

Tanking dagger? WTH?

Namlak's Supernumerary Sticker

Somebody please explain this item to me.
    I. Am. Warrior.

Pre BC tanks used daggers frequently and post BC there are still some decent tanking daggers if other items are not available.

Man the animations will look silly but statistically it should perform the same as any other weapon type. Does however have serve style crampage. Lack of stam sucks too.

Less normalized weapon speed hence less dmg on some spells, no? Aka daggers = baaaad choice

Daggers are bad news for Devastate. This dagger has no EH stats. All you're getting out of equipping this is 1.5% avoidance. The rest is DPS stats.

This is not a tanking dagger. This is a strange rogue offhand.

Paladins can't use daggers as well, so yeah. It's pretty much just bad.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Can DKs or druids wield them? Perhaps offhand for DKs?

Druids can, but druids are going to use a feral staff.

Origin of Nightmares - Item - World of Warcraft
    Journey's End - Item - World of Warcraft

DK's will use twohanders.

Meh, maybe with tanking offhands there will be situational usage for druids. And I've seen several DKs inquire about DW tanking (not a good idea IMO, but hey, why not let them if they really want to?).

I assume they must be trying to solve some desire rather than tossing out a PoS.

Druids also can't parry :P

Quote Originally Posted by TomHuxley View Post
    Meh, maybe with tanking offhands there will be situational usage for druids. And I've seen several DKs inquire about DW tanking (not a good idea IMO, but hey, why not let them if they really want to?).

I assume they must be trying to solve some desire rather than tossing out a PoS.
    Druids can't dual-wield. So the only way we could use a dagger like this would be if they made an "off hand frill" item with feral attack power and other feral stats. I've never seen such an item, ever. Most of those off-hand frill items are caster items.

I'm thinking it is just a freaky item. Can't imagine who would use it, other than maybe a DW tanking DK...although as others have said, the intent is for them to use a 2-h.

[item]The End of Dreams[/item] is 1H, but it's not an OH...

yeah, that dagger's got me stumped, too.

For a rogue's evasion tanking set? Or maybe for rogue solo-grinding? That's about all I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Druids can, but druids are going to use a feral staff.

Origin of Nightmares - Item - World of Warcraft
    Journey's End - Item - World of Warcraft

DK's will use twohanders.
    DKs can Dual wield think itll be better for tanking not sure tho 2x tanking 1h;ers surly better than a 2h;er?

Quote Originally Posted by mero12513 View Post
    Somebody please explain this item to me.
    It's to distract us from actual issues they don't want us to complain about

I could see that dagger getting used in an OH for PvP Rogues. Yeah it doesn't have resilience, but it has dodge and parry which can be useful to rogues, which they don't have alot of.

Wow that is a thing of beauty. Think of it, more avoidance than the sun eater, on a dagger, plus +hit too. Wow.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

What about and encounter like Vael in BWL. I didn't tank with my warrior then (druid actually) but IIRC the warriors used a dagger (name escapes me) due to it's fast speed and unlimited rage for HS spam.

The fastest swords are 1.50.
    The fastest daggers are 1.30.

That's 15% more heroic strikes per unit time, going to the dagger. Except you lose weapon damage from AP at the rate of 2.4 to 1.7. You never want a dagger, even for HS spam.

Thinking about this more, however, I think perhaps DKs will use two-handers for DPS and two-weapons for tanking, thematically. It makes sense--DKs can share two-handers with arms and fury warriors (all three want DPS stats), and share one-handers with prots (both--or all three if prot pallies also want these weapons--want tank stats).

Quote Originally Posted by Forklift View Post
    The fastest swords are 1.50.
    The fastest daggers are 1.30.

That's 15% more heroic strikes per unit time, going to the dagger. Except you lose weapon damage from AP at the rate of 2.4 to 1.7. You never want a dagger, even for HS spam.

Thinking about this more, however, I think perhaps DKs will use two-handers for DPS and two-weapons for tanking, thematically. It makes sense--DKs can share two-handers with arms and fury warriors (all three want DPS stats), and share one-handers with prots (both--or all three if prot pallies also want these weapons--want tank stats).
    Heroic strike gets no penalty as it's not a normalized attack. Daggers used to be a tanking weapon of choice before devestate was changed to be worth getting because HS was not normalized and your weapon was irrelevant to sunder or shield slam.

Having said all that it looks to be more of a DK offhand tanking weapon assuming they can use daggers, otherwise it's worthless to anyone other then a fury or arms warrior offtanking now and then.

Closed Thread